The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I suppose there's still no sign of a service manual or bare schematic for the SC20, right?

2. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I don't think a full schematic, but I've seen parts on one of headfirst amplification or whatever it is videos on YouTube, he drew out some then showed the parts he modded, I'll see if I can find it

3. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Well, he's using an 80's schematic, so the pre-amp probably matches up in essence for the greater part, but all the 50W models (like referenced in the video) were fixed bias vs cathode biased for example, etc.

I'm vaguely interested in the DI, actually. I didn't buy it for that feature, and if it's like the e-out on the DSL's it's worthless, but it seems that it only works when the amp is off standby. I'm wondering why that is - surely the standby is just toggling between pentode and triode operation for the output stage, and the pre-amp is always on? I'm guessing the FX send is always live. Mine's arriving on Wednesday, we'll see.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Ahh sorry didn't see that, had no intention of modding it so didn't pay overly much attention, just watched it for shits n giggles

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I haven’t heard an e-out on any Marshall amp that has any value at all. I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, I’m talking about my experiences.

6. scozz

Haha, me either Greg, I’m probably one of a few here, that prefers the SC20 stock, compared to that ‘Headfirst’ mod, or any mod that increases the gain of the amp. :cool:

If I wanted more gain I would’ve bought a different amp, just my opinion.

wntbtw, Old Punker, Gaz Baker and 4 others like this.
  7. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Same here, the DI even has a speaker sim - I can currently only imagine the horrors that await.

I might change some bright cap values by the looks of it, but I certainly intend on using it more or less stock. Certainly not going to increase the gain - I didn't buy it for death metal, etc.

scozz, Gaz Baker, tce63 and 1 other person like this.
  8. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

If I wanted to mod the amp I'd probably try mod it for less gain, but I do use the gain in a few songs, but mostly put the master up to 6 or 7, then add gain to like 2 or 3.
    On the low input jack I use more gain, but the high input it just doesn't work for me at the moment unless I'm playing smashing pumpkins or something. And even then only really Bullet with butterfly wings, today, or tonight I prefer a it cleaner.
    But that chorus to bullet with butterfly wings is so ooomph. God bless the guitar volume.dirty to saturated in 0.2 seconds!

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and PelliX like this.
  9. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I have an ECC82 and an ECC823 spare - if the gain is way beyond my taste it's an easy drop-in fix.

Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.
  10. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I have an 823 in my Lil dsl5cr, I could use that, but I don't think it's needed.
    But I'm pretty sure I play it different to most.
    Still don't think I'd change it thou, it's a killer on a few different levels, just need to learn the amp to guitar ratio more.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. scozz

Yeah, oh I do use gain, just not LOTS of gain, except for soloing sometimes. And I also agree about using the guitar volumes. I think I’ve always preferred a single channel amp and cleaning it up or dirtying it up with the guitar volume. :cool:

12. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Hi Scozz, I agree 100%. I bought mine because I wanted to have the sound of a stock JCM 800, without taking the risk of having my head blown off in a small space, and that is exactly what I got with the SC20H. Couldn't be happier! :)

Maybe I'm getting older, or maybe I just want to improve my playing, but I seem to be migrating more towards classic/hard rock (Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith lately), and this amp in stock form does a great job. I currently have MV up higher and gain is usually around 4 or 5, so no need for any more gain.

For the times I wanna play metal, I fire up my Rectifier. I just keep my amps in stock form and use the one associated with the songs I'm playing at the time.

13. scozz

Hey Punker, haven’t seen you in a while, good to hear from you! :cool:

Depending on which guitar I’m playing, I typically have similar settings to yours. From 5 to 8 on the mv, and the preamp around 4 to 6,… the higher gain numbers for single coil guitars.

(Although attenuated)

You’re straying into my territory, lol, Classic Rock, glad to have you aboard bro! :D

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Actually on mine gain at 3 o'clock fattens and less bright! usually have the gain at 2 o clock master at 7. Sounds like a lot but not really.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  15. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Thanks man! Right now I'm having some issues with some of the solos so I'm starting a lead guitar course (book). More of a feeling of accomplishment than only playing rhythm though.

Stephen H, Gaz Baker, scozz and 2 others like this.
  16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

oops I re edited my gain settings

17. scozz

Huh?

18. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

wrote gain at 9'o clock lol

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and wntbtw like this.
  20. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

..nevermind

scozz likes this.