The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

PelliX

Reaction score
I used to love abying my Lil dsl5cr with the ac15. Surprisingly ( or not so, 10 inch vs 12 inch) the vox had the bass end of the deal, the marshall just had the scream!

Yeah, the AC15 is prone to that; I tend to let the Marshall do the thump. I like a tight bass and the AC15 doesn't lend itself toward that in my experience. The two need to complement each other - not compete. The stock Shuguang valves in the VOX work(ed) a lot better than the JJ EL84's I tried. That was just a dark bass-y spongy mess without much character somehow. I don't know what you've got in there, but I'd avoid JJ in the output stage in those amps.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still a SC20 newbie, but I'm actually on low input most the time, less attenuation, crisper notes, still plenty of dirt both from the mv if wanted or the pre amp if desired..
I guess it could be a 1 trick pony, if that pony's trick includes a headstand, cartwheel backflip and juggling all at the same time....
That's 1 hell of a pony.
I know you haven’t had the amp for very long but I can tell you the longer you own it, the more you’ll find it fits a number of music genre.

I have a question though,… you said you use the “low input” most of the time, do you mean the low sensitivity input or is it the lower 5 watt mode you’re talking about?

I usually use an extra boost when I play my Strat or Tele, they seem to do better with a boost and a touch of extra gain.

I’m not a high gain player, so most of the time the preamp volume is at 4 or 5 with humbuckers. With single coils it’s about at 6, with a clean boost using a TC Spark pedal. :D

PelliX

Reaction score
I didn’t even think that it could be a typo, my impaired brain went right to,… you just decided to go with a different Marshall. Lol.

I think you’ll enjoy the amp. :cool:

Man, after that post I went off to a party and got rather, uhm, blattered. Came home late (or early). Got up this morning and saw how you guys took the ball and ran with it... :rofl:Sorry... really, really bad typo!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, TAD at least provides some data with theirs. Buying a matched pair from [XYZ] and getting two or four valves that are nowhere close is a raw deal. Honestly, good valves, bad valves - balance makes a big(ger) difference in the output stage in my opinion. That's what TAD provides, though I'd rather buy something knowing what brand it really is. Any competent seller can check and match valves before selling them - it's not rocket science.
I’ve never used TAD, I think I’ll check them out. The last time I purchased tubes was a matched set of Mullard New Production EL34s from the Tube Depot.

Now after seeing Tony’s video, I’m not completely sure they were matched. I don’t have any reason to think they were not, but I don’t have a way to tell for sure.

You seem to have confidence in stuff like that from TAD? You did mention they provide some data with the tubes, would you elaborate on that?

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
You seem to have confidence in stuff like that from TAD? You did mention they provide some data with the tubes, would you elaborate on that?

Maybe I was a little unclear - I don't buy TAD, because I simply prefer to know the real manufacturer. Regardless, they do indeed provide specs for they matched pairs/quads. Watch the referenced video, or google for pics. They all at least seem to list a TC and PC value (trans-conductance and plate current). If you are to believe their site, and I would give them the benefit of the doubt, they test

- Plate Current (PC) and Amplification (TC)
- Low Noise Test
- Microphonic Test
- Sonic Tests
- Shock Tests
- Listening Tests
- Shorts & Leakage Tests

As far as 'confidence' is concerned, any valve can go suddenly blow up. Knowing the manufacturer won't help you there. Likewise, if I bought matched valves and got a total mismatch, I'd return them.

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
@PelliX .....

I noticed in your O.P. you're a DSL player/owner.

let us know your opinion once you've had some time with the SC.

I went from a DSL40c, to the SC. (Head & matching 2x12)

From the first chord struck, I heard a massive quality difference, in a very pleasing way.

Obviously, there's nowhere near the amount of gain on tap, but I brought a basic single channel amp, with the idea of adding a couple of pedals to get whatever diversity needed.

Two years in, and I'm still fizzing every time I plug it in.

.........I’m not a high gain player, so most of the time the preamp volume is at 4 or 5 with humbuckers. With single coils it’s about at 6, with a clean boost using a TC Spark pedal. :D

Ironically, I have been using the preamp dial between 3-7, no pedal boost, and I am a high (ish) gain sort of guy.

Sometimes, the extra articulation/clarity that comes from less preamp, still seems to sound quite heavy, especially in a mix. Could also be a hot pup output too I suppose.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PelliX .....

I noticed in you O.P. you're a DSL player/owner.

let us know your opinion once you've had some time with the SC.

I went from a DSL40c, to the SC. (Head & matching 2x12)

From the first chord struck, I heard a massive quality difference, in a very pleasing way.

Obviously, there's nowhere near the amount of gain on tap, but I brought a basic single channel amp, with the idea of adding a couple of pedals to get whatever diversity needed.

Two years in, and I'm still fizzing every time I plug it in.

Ironically, I have been using the preamp dial between 3-7, no pedal boost, and I am a high (ish) gain sort of guy.

Sometimes, the extra articulation/clarity that comes from less preamp, still seems to sound quite heavy, especially in a mix. Could also be a hot pup output too I suppose.
Yeah I think that’s true, especially the pickup part, I’m running vintage, and medium output pickups in my two LPs.

And for some reason I think, if I’m not mistaken, you have high output pickups in your guitars?

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
Yeah I think that’s true, especially the pickup part, I’m running vintage, and medium output pickups in my two LPs.

And for some reason I think, if I’m not mistaken, you have high output pickups in your guitars?

Yes. I believe that 3 of four of them are hot.

I'm not sure if you'd call the burstbuckers in my Traditional hot, but even they sound grunty.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's ordered, should be arriving on the 15th. Got some discount on an unboxed one. Let's see what shape it's in when it gets here.
Congrats on ordering the amp man I’m sure you’ll like it. :agreed:

As for open box gear, I don’t like to spend a lot of $ on gear, so when I’m in the market for something I’m always checking for “open box” items.

Every time I’ve ordered an open box item, I’ve never found anything wrong of any significance, ever. I’ve never returned an open box item I’ve purchased either.

So I’m a fan of open box gear overall. Although I’ve only bought open box gear from either MF or Sweetwater, so I can’t speak to any other venders open box policies.

PelliX

Reaction score
Congrats on ordering the amp man I’m sure you’ll like it. :agreed:

As for open box gear, I don’t like to spend a lot of $ on gear, so when I’m in the market for something I’m always checking for “open box” items.

Every time I’ve ordered an open box item, I’ve never found anything wrong of any significance, ever. I’ve never returned an open box item I’ve purchased either.

So I’m a fan of open box gear overall. Although I’ve only bought open box gear from either MF or Sweetwater, so I can’t speak to any other venders open box policies.

I'm prepared to spend what it takes, but discount is always welcome. :D Also, I'm not much of a warranty type. After a few years it's your own problem anyway, right.

Latest posts