The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

To be fair, TAD at least provides some data with theirs. Buying a matched pair from [XYZ] and getting two or four valves that are nowhere close is a raw deal. Honestly, good valves, bad valves - balance makes a big(ger) difference in the output stage in my opinion. That's what TAD provides, though I'd rather buy something knowing what brand it really is. Any competent seller can check and match valves before selling them - it's not rocket science.

2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I been buying for years from dealers just wonder if JJ is really that mix matched from marshall. They failed a lot for Friedman amps so he stopped using them for awhile

3. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

My limited experience with the Marshall stock JJ valves has been 'fine'. To be fair they provide actual measurements on the stickers, not just a colour like Mesa. I have zero experience with Mesa, I should add, but I know that they use a 'colour dot' system.

ken361 likes this.
  4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Funny you mention using color dots on preamp tubes. Was changing V1...again in my DSL40 C and noticed red dots on V2 Marshall labled. I've had this amp for years and it stuck out in my head a few days ago. Maybe I noticed when it was new and forgot?:shrug: I did note it now though. Been awhile for that amp since changing tubes.

Marshall? Put 2 red dots on your preamp tube and I have no choice but to put it in the second slot. WTF?! I hate being controlled.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    scozz and PelliX like this.
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

SV20? :scratch:

6. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

He wanted us to tell him the SC20 is exactly like a 2203/4, which noone did so he has decided on SV20.
    He didn't want us to tell him it's kick ass and has alot of tricks for what is often labelled as a 1 trick pony. So we didn't :)

scozz likes this.
  7. solarburnDSL50

Give me a Plexi and I'll play it all.

Except I only play blues and rock. Isn't that all that matters?:naughty:

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Is that true? So there’s a premium grade?

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Haha, it does sound like that, weird that all of a sudden the SV20 is in the mix. I don’t think anyone disputes a 20 watt amp doesn’t have the thump and bigness of a 100 watt amp.

Yeah Greg, I agree about the versatility of a SC20, it covers a lot of ground. I especially like the very edge of breakup for edgy cleans, also the low sensitivity input brings some really nice pristine cleans!

Who needs two channels, a single channel and the guitars volume does it for me. :D

10. solarburnDSL50

Any more? I set any amp as a 1 channel. There is a big lie that says you need a clean, rhythm and lead. And those manufacturers laugh at how your playing ability is based on their research. Their profit. Think for yourself. Don't ever let money decide your worth. Yes money wasted. Reality meaningful. I'm good now. And the best ever guitarist. I'm not delusional about my playing.

11. solarburnDSL50

I will say big iron = certain amp circuits. We all wonder why it took Marshall so long to offer lower wattage circuits? Certainly wasn't a request for smaller...

Impact. R&R is all about impact.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  12. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I'm still a SC20 newbie, but I'm actually on low input most the time, less attenuation, crisper notes, still plenty of dirt both from the mv if wanted or the pre amp if desired..
    I guess it could be a 1 trick pony, if that pony's trick includes a headstand, cartwheel backflip and juggling all at the same time....
    That's 1 hell of a pony.

13. solarburnDSL50

Weirdo!:D

14. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Says the world's best ever guitarist.
    I'm like totally fanboying out right now, omg, the world's best ever guitarist called me a weirdo <3

Gaz Baker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Balls, honest typo. SC20! ... an unfortunate typo, but a typo nonetheless. :eek:

Also, @GregM I wanted an honest opinion/answer or two - if I know what I want to hear, I'll ask myself :applause:

I weighed up the feedback, the pros and cons, price, availability, looked at the insides of the SC20's (acceptable design, shame about the cheap caps and crappy solder work on the one or two I saw) - I'll go for one. if I really, really don't get on with it, I can return it or sell it. I hate doing that, but we're not talking about accidentally buying the wrong box of nails.

Actually, I was talking about the output stage (where matching is important) not the pre-amp, but that's funny. Neither my 20 or 40's stock Marshall valves had/have any dots. Though, if you think about it, it just prevents people making mistakes in the factory/assembly line: V1 = low microphony, V2 = any ol' ECC83, V3 = balanced, (in a DSL like that, anyway).

Gaz Baker, Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.
  16. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

My mistake, or shared mistake.
    Seriously, I haven't played a 2203 or 2204 so couldn't comment. I have done a tonne of review watching reading while waiting to pick it up, and they all say the same.
    It's not a 2203/2204 but it's damn close and if the didn't already have a 2203/2204 they would buy this in a heartbeat.
    Oh and it has more gain than a 2203/2204. Which isn't a great thing for me, but I'm sure some like it that way.They do all also say it's a one trick pony, I don't think they had enough time with it. But I understand, when I got mine I was straight in to high gain with 6s and 7s on the volume and omg, what a sound!

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and PelliX like this.
  17. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Probably one of my most unfortunate typos in a while, to be fair. I don't mind the one trick pony argument - I've got other ponies in the stable. Also, look at the masses of music made over decades with those amps (2203, mainly). That's one damn ambidextrous agile little pony, no? :)

18. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

The only thing I still lack the skill to do is get an amazing sound out of it with single coils and p90s, I get great sounds but not amazing sounds, then I give up, wack in a humbucker equipped guitar, and I think you would have to work pretty hard to get an average sound oot of it.
    It loooooooovvvvveeeessss humbuckers
    ( in all fairness mine our pretty low output till mid October, but.......)

Gaz Baker, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  19. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I virtually only play single coil Fenders, to be honest so we'll see how that goes. I often run the guitar signal through two different amps at once, though, a Marshall and a VOX, generally with the Marshall being dominant and the VOX providing a sort of harmony and richness. I often say the VOX sings the backing and the Marshall barks over it. When done right it sort of has a touch of two guitarists in sync.

20. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I used to love abying my Lil dsl5cr with the ac15. Surprisingly ( or not so, 10 inch vs 12 inch) the vox had the bass end of the deal, the marshall just had the scream!