>

The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Have you tried a od pedal as a clean boost?You know drive on 0, level wherever it works. Like a Tubescreamer or a Sd1.

Mitchell Pearrow, Gaz Baker and tce63 like this.
  2. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Not yet, I have 2 sd1's but I'm enjoying it so much atm just using guitar volume to burst it into distortion or flip it up to like 8 to get an od like effect, lower for cleaner. Have barely scratched the surface yet but definately get 2 distinct tones with preamp higher to keep notes ringing in between chord changes, or preamp lower to get more clarity in the notes.
    It's a fun Lil beast! Almost always got it attenuated alot unfortunately but that will change come next swing of nightshift when I can play a Lil louder during the day.
    Edit, I should add master lives between 5 and 8. I did try back off the ps1 to about 50%, got the three a chords out to the start of highway to hell, and went ooo that's nice, but I'd better turn it down :(

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  3. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Had about an hour when I got home to spank it a Lil more with no Mrs home, played with my usual settings for 40 minutes or so, then in the last 15 minutes decided to try the presence turned up to like 6 or so and 0 on treble( I attempt to play a few songs that use mostly the bottom three strings and the sharpness on any amp I've had just seems to really cut hard).
    So I wasn't really feeling it, Mrs came home and I put her on standby for a bit, flicked on to 5 watt mode when I came back in and I really liked the presence higher and treble down, so still working on stuff.

4. scozz

Hmmm :hmm: I don’t think you should do this too often! :D

GregM, tce63 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  5. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Thought I'd give one of these a go.

Just ordered, so will report back my findings once I get acquainted with it

Capture.JPG

6. scozz

@Gaz Baker, Hey buddy, I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on it,…

Gaz Baker, tce63 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  7. burger

burger Active Member

A SC20H came in for the S.I.R. #34 mod treatment - here's my take along with full schematic and DIY PCB mod guide. Help yourself.

Kutt, AndyP, Mitchell Pearrow and 4 others like this.
  8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks for sharing! This has given me some ideas for switchable mods on my 2203x (push/pull pots...). Since purchasing the Hot Mod V2, I much prefer the 2203x with it installed, over stock. When playing 80's metal, the level of gain of a stock 2203 (or SC20) stops just short of what I'd like, and the Hot Mod takes it there (better than pedals). The combination of some switchable mods in addition to the Hot Mod V2, would provide a wide range of variability, including totally "stock". Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to use the same push/pull pot approach with the SC20, as it uses PCB mounted pots. :(

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. scozz

I know I'm in the minority here. I guess I'm just too old school when it comes to gain, to me, a bit less gain means more tone. That's what I hear!

After listening to this video, closely, I have to say, I prefer the amp stock. If I wanted more gain I would've bought a different amp.

Just my :2c:

10. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Doubt your in the minority, I prefer the stock sound too, but I think it's a cool mod if it's the sound your after.
    We all have a sound in our head we try to find, and I doubt many if any are the same.

11. Gaz Baker

I'm with you on this.

If I want more gain, I would rather add a pedal.

To me, the more gain, the less definition, and articulation.

Even for guys who like a heavier tone, it's surprising how much more definition you gain, by a slight reduction of gain, without sacrificing a heavy sound.

This is why I got rid of my DSL. It came with so much gain, it sounded thin and fizzy. Even after doing the c19, c15, and c22 mods. The red channel is a joke on that amp, IMO.

12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I think that I am getting decent tones on red 2 with my Dsl40c’s

solarburnDSL50, scozz, GregM and 2 others like this.
  13. Gaz Baker

Quite possibly, as it's a subjective/personal choice, but that amp certainly wasn't for me.
    The green channel was cool with a pedal up front, but the red channel was unusable, for me at least. Just far too fizzy. That's why a lot of DSL owners are always changing out speakers, or modding them in some fashion.

14. Mitchell Pearrow

I changed a couple of preamp tubes.
    And keep the gain at 3, with the SD1 in front of the amp as a clean boost.
    My Origins get me the other flavor.
    And I am using MG cabs and stock 70/80 speakers.
    But I understand where you are at with this my friend..
    Not knocking your preference, I love the Studio amps . But I am going to make what I have work for me , one way or another.
    Cheers
    Mitch

wntbtw, scozz, solarburnDSL50 and 2 others like this.
  15. scozz

Oh yeah I get that brother. I’m always going on about using “imo”, and “to me”, and things similar to that, when discussing gear and tone and everything associated with it. :cool:

It’s all subjective. :D

16. burger

burger Active Member

Totally agree re the DSL, stock the ultra gain channel it is a joke. I have published a mod for that too that washes off gain and makes that channel, in both modes, more useable.

The pedal in front discussion is a good one, and a good way to boost gain - however modding the amp delivers a different result because of the gain structure sequencing. Both ways generate different results, both are valid imho.

17. Gaz Baker

I totally respect and understand where you're coming from Mitch.
    I also like that you use the stock speaker/s.
    Most change out the speaker before trying the cheaper mods 1st.
    All I did was clip 3 capacitor legs, and that made a big difference. Tube swapping was going to be my next port of call.

18. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Took me a Fucking YEAR to tune my DSL50 with varying approaches. Too long to list.:agreed: When ya can't afford anything else, you work with whatcha got. I worked my ass off tuning it.

On my DSL40 C I go straight into L2 gain at about 9:30/10am and volume at noon. I run my fav OD pedals into green clean, amp gain at 3pm volume at noon and boost. I can use same amp EQ for both channels the way I tune it up. A plethora of Marshall flavors between pedaling one channel and straight in to the other channel. This amp still makes me smile except for how heavy to lift the combo is.:shock::flex:

I used the 70/80 for years until just the other day. Put in a GB128(greenback like)speaker with better low end and higher wattage/sensitivity than a 25 watt GB. Really suits my low, midgain and hard rock tones. I don't ever use modern saturation or want a heavier tone from L2. It does a great classic rock tone with gain low volume up and guitar rolling both volume/tone knob. Great hard rock sound guitar pots maxed.

As far as my SC goes stock and with Lynch Mod deliver dynamics each of their own. The LM is not high gain. Love it's rolled off midgain tones. Plenty articulate. Both versions rock my world.

19. scozz

Right buddy, this is the best way to run the red channel of Dsl’s imo. :cool:

Also, for me, the Dsl’s green channel, with the gain cranked, and clean boosted with a Tubescreamer or Sd1, is a great way to use that channel.

20. Mitchell Pearrow

@Gaz Baker
    @scozz
    @solorburnDSL50
    Since I quit using the Vox Tone Lab. I rarely ever use the green channel at all.
    The way I am setting my red 2 up I feel that I am in the midst of UFO, and early Priest, I can get to Sabbath with a down tuned guitar.
    I am still happy at turning them on and playing with them.
    I would love to grab the studio amps, but that is just not going to happen just yet.
    And if no one has figured it out yet ... yes I am going for the white one...
    Cheers