>

The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

All good mate

Oh man! You're gonna love that setup.
    A beautiful amp on it's own, but the TAE is a great addition.

What guitar/pickups are you running through it?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats man!
    :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Gaz Baker like this.
  3. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks man! I am going to test the FX loop this morning just to make sure it's functional, then test it through the Tube Amp Expander before work.

First couple impressions are that it's noticeably brighter than most of my other amps. I've only run it through my 1960 so far which has a Creamback G12M-65 quad. But it's sure got the Marshall crunch and bite we all love. When I boosted it I used an MXR Sugar Drive. Will test an SD-1 and a couple others soon too.

Del Rei, scozz, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  4. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So far I've used my '08 Les Paul Traditional ('57 / '57 Classic+), a 2011 60th Anniversary U.S. Telecaster, and an Ibanez JS1600. All with stock pickups. Of course the Les Paul gives the most thud. No surprise there!

Need to try my Explorer next. I put a '57 / '57 Classic+ set in there too and with it being all Mahogany I think it will pair really well with the brighter tones of the SC20H... like PB&J.

solarburnDSL50, scozz, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  5. scozz

This says it all,….

Gaz Baker and Del Rei like this.
  6. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Wow!!! That's beautiful, man! I love white gear!!
    I bought the SV20H Snake and like it, but don't really match my other amps. So I got a white headshell from sourmash!
    And I also have the SC20H in standard black, and I'm considering a white headshell as well.... LOL :run:

Nice setup, Gaz!
    I'm really interested in getting a TAE, but would be mainly for live situation as attenuation. Does it work fine for that? I have the Captor 8 but it's fixed -20dB, so it's not a good option for gigs... I need an adjustable attenuation and I'm considering some options...

tce63, Gaz Baker and Kutt like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

An attenuator to use a 5w / 20w master volume amp live? Don't get it guys, if I needed to use one live, I'd just need a mic'd cab, done.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

@Del Rei

I haven't played live personally, (I sure would love to) but as you can see by the picture, the TAE is equipped to cater for your needs. And yes, it's totally adjustable attenuation.

A soundman will love the TAE.
    The player can play with all the power tube saturation they want, without a battle to tame the amps' volume in the mix.

Another benefit is, that it's got a built in 100watt power amp, so if you do play really large venues, then you wont be struggling to keep up.
    And FWIW, the TAE keeps the sound pristine. No sound coloration at all if you set it up right.

(The speaker out knob on the front panel acts as the attenuator/power amp volume, depending how high or low you have it.

The line out volume knob on the front panel is for the left/right stereo outputs on the rear only.

The LINE OUT MONO (FOH) on the rear panel has a fixed volume, and isn't controlled by the LINE OUT knob.
    So that's something you'd have to experiment with.

Just like anything though, it does take a wee bit to set up to your preferences, and it does run deep. There's quite a lot of features to sift through.
    You'll need to initially hook it up via USB to a computer, make sure it's got the latest firmware, etc..., and create the presets you want.
    Once that's done, you can assign your presets to the 10 slots available on the "Rig" knob on the front panel, and either dial them in from there, or get the boss footswitch (Which I reccomend) as that would not only be good for the live gigs, but can also be set to change amp channels on multi channel amps.

When playing live, IRs aren't heard, but recordings is where the IRs come into play. So there's no concerns there about it "flavoring" your tone.

There is quite an informative group on FaceBook, and one guy has been doing "How to do" videos.

Also, I think @tallcoolone uses this amp, and the TAE in live performances, so he may be able to answer any of your gigging questions.

Capture 2.JPG

9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Agree but I use the TAE with the SC20 and I don't need attenuation. We've been through this before, but it ties the rig together to make it more flexible and user friendly.

I can't imagine a rock band not being able to keep up with the SC20 alone tho so, yeah

solarburnDSL50, scozz, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  10. Del Rei

Yeah, but I have two situations where I may need.

First, at home recording. I live in an apartment and can't open the Master where it should be to get the real Marshall tone I love (Not only SC, but specially SV). And I don't think the 5W mode gets that Marshall tone I love either...

And the second (and I don't know about this) is in live situation with the SV, as it's a NMV, I'm not sure if I will be able to use it everywhere in the volume I need to get the tone I love (at home, for sure not). And I prefer to get an attenuation than a boost pedal...
    But I need to try it with band first. Actually, I don't know if I will need attenuation... :/

Hey, Gaz. First, thanks for the detailed answer. You're really a nice guy.
    So, from what I understood, it is a great solution for an eventual need for volume attenuation. I need to try the SV with band first. I'm not a IR fan (never got a pretty decent organic tone with digital stuff), so my main use would be attenuation with band...
    Thank you so much for the explanation, man! :)

Din't try SC or SV with band yet (pandemic times...), but as the SC have MV it will probably be ok. Have you tried the SV with band? I don't remember if you already mentioned that in the forum...

11. marshallmellowed

No problem, was responding to this, which to me, sounded like you needed it for live gigs. Definitely not "needed" for that, but certainly has other uses, obviously (recording...).

12. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

13. scozz

Yeah I don’t get this either, @Del Rei, do you really need an attenuator with your SC to gig? :hmm:

Del Rei likes this.
  14. Del Rei

Got it. Actually, for recordings I already have an attenuator that helps. I was just wondering about an adjustable attenuation -if needed- in live situation, because the Captor is fixed -20dB. Can’t use with band. It’s too much attenuation.

LOL
    I saw that topic and also commented there. I need a memory improvement…. :facepalm:

Hey, Scozz!
    Didn’t try it yet, but probably not. My main concern was about the SV.
    I need to try both in band situations.

My sweet spot on the SC is Master on 6 or 7 and Gain on 7. I don’t know how loud would be in a gig. But Master on 4 already works fine.

But for SV my sweet spot is Volume on 7. And definitely on 4 it won’t give me gain I need… that’s why I’m considering an adjustable attenuator. But I’ll try it in a band first, of course… :fingersx:

15. Element22ag

Element22ag New Member

49C85A81-7E11-402C-AE06-97440F830714.jpeg Hey everyone, loooooooong time lurker here and this is my first post! I have a question about a switch I found inside my SC20H! I took the chassis of the amp out of the head shell the other day (another thing I did for the first time!) to switch out a tube, and while looking around I saw a switch connected to “C30” on the board! Does anyone know what this is for or what it does?? Thank you all for any info!

Gaz Baker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. marshallmellowed

Well, someone's modded it, obviously. I don't think that's the bright cap, so not sure what they were doing there (very sloppy job, IMO). No schematics for the SC20 floating around, so no idea what role C30 plays. Appears as though the switch just takes C30 in, or out of the circuit. Flip the switch while playing and see what differences you hear.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Element22ag and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have no idea on your question. But
    :cheers:
    :welcome:
    To the forum
    Cheers
    Mitch

Gaz Baker, Element22ag and Del Rei like this.
  18. Del Rei

Welcome man!
    Yeah, modded for sure.
    Let us know what difference it makes when you change the switch.

19. Element22ag

Element22ag New Member

Thank you guys for the welcomes and for the info!! I immediately thought it must be modded as well, but the weird thing is I bought this (supposedly) new from a Guitar Center! It still has the Marshall hang tag on the handle and the stickers from the factory stating who finished it, etc.!

I definitely will give the switch a flick and report back here with my findings, but I have another question first - is flicking the switch something I can do while the amp has power? Or should I power it down and unplug it first before hitting the switch? Also does the chassis need to be in the head shell to play it, or can I set it on my table as is and power it on?

Sorry if these are kinda beginner questions, I have never opened up any of my amps like this before!!

Gaz Baker likes this.
  20. marshallmellowed

In order to tell what difference the switch positions make, you probably need to do it while playing. Just use a wooden chopstick (or other non-conductive tool) to switch the positions of the switch. That way, your not putting yourself at any risk of shock. You can power it on out of the head shell, just make sure it's stable and that the tubes are not contacting anything (heat..). Also, don't touch anything else while the amp is on, due to risk of shock. If it were me, I'd send that amp back, if it was sold as new.

WellBurnTheSky, tce63 and scozz like this.