The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Thanks Scozz. :cheers:

scozz likes this.
  2. Old Punker

You're welcome, glad I could help.

Of the links you sent, IMO I would probably go for the Furman unit since it is specifically built for guitar rigs and they have a good reputation. If voltage fluctuations are an issue in your house then you may also want to consider upgrading to a unit that also has Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS) ($$) or voltage regulation ($$$$). :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

4. Aussie Battler

Aussie Battler Member

Thanks again I'm not aware of voltage fluctuations and I've never had any spikes take any toll on any electrical gear so I think it's more i have a lot of electrical gear running in up to three Air conditioners running as it's been hot this time of year as well as a spa plus a lot more including the solar so I'm thinking this may help in the fluctuations in sound so I'll look further into that.
    Once again thanks for taking the time its much appreciated.

Cheers Wayne

5. Aussie Battler

Aussie Battler Member

H
    Thanks for the reply
    I actually did that in the very beginning but after all this help and advice i actually re did my pedal board as I was running two small ones and the first board definitely was a problem as it had an inbuilt daisy chain i suspect as it was the Beta Alvin U600 plastic case version and that helped. I will go back now and give it another run and I have also ordered a fully isolated power supply so I'm hoping that may solve the problem so it will be a one step at a time process.
    Many thanks for you're help in this process its greatly appreciated as I live 700km from nearest city these forums are a fantastic source of information.

Cheers Wayne

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  6. Old Punker

tce63, ken361 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yeah, but did you see the $500 shipping cost... (JK). :naughty:

8. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

For Aussies on a budget I'd suggest Swamp industries or Artist guitars, both have some really awesome cheap stuff

Gaz Baker, Old Punker and tce63 like this.
  9. Old Punker

Actually the shipping cost didn't show on my screen, but I do remember buying a UPS battery from CDW many years ago where the shipping cost was much higher than the cost of the battery itself.

I checked the price of this locally (for me) from Amazon.ca and I could buy this unit for CAD $83.90 + tax with free shipping. So you just have to watch where you buy. :agreed:

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

This was delivered last night. Probably don`t need it as I`m not able to crank it where I live, but will use it [& it`s bigger brother that`s next to it] for some low volume jamming w/ my favorite distortion pedals & a looper thru the Low Input.
    [​IMG]

11. Old Punker

Congrats! :applause: Nothing like double the fun.
    But you could probably crank the SC20C in 5W mode, no?

12. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Awesome. That looks like a whole lotta fun, right there! :jam: :shred: :shred2:

I'd love to hear your views on a comparo' between the two. :hmm:

wntbtw, Old Punker, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations nice pair of amps there buddy
    Cheers

wntbtw, GregM, tce63 and 3 others like this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sweet @wntbtw, they look great together! I too would be interested in your thoughts.

15. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Nice, man!!
    Some years ago my band was recording with a really nice vintage JCM800 combo. I loved that.

16. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Do you consider using any attenuator, man?
    My SC20 sounds good at low volumes, but after 3 or 4 is where it really shines. I use the Two Notes Captor (-20dB) and works great. Not the most expensive attenuator.

17. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

Hi & thank you all so much for your positive comments--I appreciate that very much! Unfortunately I am going to return the amp to GC--but only because I don`t care for the 10" speaker--but only because I play at a low low volume [thru the Low Input] due to my living circumstances & the stock 10" speaker doesn`t give me the tones I`d like at the required low volume--although it does sound GREAT at a cranked up volumes for sure. I even tried a another 10" speaker but it also didn`t 'pass the test' at a low volume thru the Low Input. Good news though:
    Yesterday I ordered the the same Studio Classic amp--but just the 'amp head' model--it will arrive by the end of the week! That way I can run it thru my preferred speaker--which of course is a 12" speaker! Last night, after the a few days of frustration, I unhooked the stock 10" speaker & hooked up the Studio Classic combo to a 1x12 cab I have that`s loaded with my preferred speaker & "there it was!"--at the required low volume--the tone I was looking for! I was so relieved & very happy!
    In the picture below that I took last night, you can see the 50w JCM 800 ['2204'] combo on the left which has my preferred 12" speaker [a WGS 'Classic Lead 80'] in it & it sounds great at a low volume thru my favorite distortion pedal so you can see why I decided to try the SC combo thru the 1x12 cab that it`s stacked on! The SC combo sounded great when I ran it thru the 12" CL80 speaker! I was hoping that the simple combo w/ the stock 10" speaker would work, but it didn`t only because I have to play at very low volumes [thru the Low Input w/ a distortion pedal].
    The reasons why I am not able to play my amp loud in the home where I live because primarily my sweetheart doesn`t like loud volumes, plus also I don`t want to let the neighbors know I own a nice guitar & amp, and also my hearing is 'shot' as I didn`t ever protect it thru my life--played my music real loud all thru my life & so am now 'paying for it'. So those 3 factors have me playing at low volumes but it`s OK--the tones I get are simply awesome w/ the great distortion pedal & I am very happy with that! Sometimes I am able to crank the amp a little bit & it is very inspiring when I am able to crank it. But it also does sound GREAT at low volumes w/ the distortion pedal so that`s all that matters!
    Also in the picture below that I took last night, you can also see the SC combo sitting on top of the 1x12 cab--I was so happy to run it thru my favorite 12" speaker & it sounded great! BTW, yesterday, when i tried the different speaker [it was delivered yesterday from Amazon], I did turn the amp up to about halfway in the 5 watt mode thru the High Input for a few seconds & the SC combo & that 10" speaker sounded GREAT at a loud volume [and so does the stock 10" speaker], but unfortunately I cannot play at that volume [except only occasionally].
    Here also is a picture of me & my sweetheart--my #1 responsibility in life is to make sure she is as happy as she can be & I take that responsibility very seriously [which includes keeping all music at low volumes]!!
    Sorry this is a LONG post--hopefully it`s not too boring. I will report back when the JCM 800 SC20h arrives at the end of the week & also may be get the courage to post a clip or two [if you promise not to bash me even though I am a 'hack']. I was hoping to find some ol` classic rockers in the area to jam with but that never happened so what I plan to do [now that I am semi-retired] is to jam alot in my little room, using a looper with the Studio Classic amp & then play some solos thru the 50w JCM 800 combo next to it. I also need to mention that I have been reading thru this long thread the past week or so & it has been great & I have learned alot--thank you all so much for making it a great thread!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Great post buddy!

I get it, so now we have a solid issue why there SHOULD be, imo at least, a 12” speaker in BOTH the SC20c and the SV20c instead of a 10” speaker.

A lot of us here were all wondering why Marshall would put a 10” speaker in these amps, now we know. It wasn’t because this 10” sounded better than all the 12” they tried,....as they told us.

It’s because of cost most likely, I guess. Unless Marshall didn’t test all these speakers at low volumes,...only at medium volumes. I doubt that would’ve been the case, but who knows.

I’ve always believed Marshall was losing sales of the SC and SV combos because of the 10” speaker, and for whatever reason I believe it even more so now.

Oh your gonna love the SC20h my friend, I’ve had mine since they first came out in January 2019. In fact I was the one that started this thread back when I first ordered it. I have the same rig you described, SC head with a 1-12 cab, perfect imo for at home guitar heroes!

One last thing, don’t discount what our brother @Del Rei suggested,...an attenuator. Many of us use them even with these little 20 watt beasts. They make it possible to crank our favorite amps and get those glorious tones that live at higher volumes.

I use a Weber Minimass 50 watt attenuator, works great!

https://tedweber.com/minimass/

[​IMG]

19. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

Yes--thank you 'scozz' so much for all that you have contributed to this thread [as well as to other threads]! I know how much you LOVE your SC20 amp and have read all the greats things you have said about it these great amps in the past 2 years in this long & great discussion! I am hoping to discover those great tones that you say the SC20 produces & in time I hope that happens for me as well. I have read here & elsewhere how great these JCM 800 Studio Classic amps, as well as the Studio Vintage amps sound, so it wasn`t hard to recently buy one! And again, I need to state that the stock 10" speaker that`s in the SC combo sounds REALLY GOOD when the amp`s volume is where it should be--it`s just that it didn`t sound good at the low volume that I have to play at. I have really enjoyed Ian Alderman`s videos he`s shared here with him playing thru his SC20 combo as it sounds really great w/ the stock 10" V-type speaker! Thanks again so much--and I may look into buying an attenuator but for now I am just taking one step at a time. For the past 2 or so years I have been playing thru my 50w JCM 800 1x12 combo thru the Low Input & a distortion pedal & truly love the tone that combination produces & for now I am perfectly happy with those tones--& now I have another JCM 800 amp that I`ll be able to jam with [using a looper]--I am going to have a blast! I just recently semi-retired so I now have alot of 'leisure time' which is beyond being great!

20. Old Punker

Good post! I also wondered why Marshall stuck a 10" speaker in the combo. I have the SC20H head - its sounds really good through a decent 1x12 (I use a Mesa widebody closed back) and it sounds even better through the Marshall 2x12 SC212 cab that I got to go with it.
    I have had good luck using a volume control (JHS Little Black Box) in the loop, allowing me to turn the master up a little higher for tone improvement, when playing at low volumes. This also works well in 20W mode, as long as you don't put the master up too high. If you have one, you can just put a volume pedal in the loop, same thing.
    Best bet for amazing tones in 20W mode is through the use of an attenuator/re-amper. I use the Fryette Power Station.
    Also, I found that I really had to be patient and take the time to dial in the SC20 for my room, playing volume, rig. There are, after all, an infinite number of settings, and some will sound way better than others.
    Just curious, what distortion pedal are you using? I have tried an OD pedal into the low input as well, and it sounds ok, but for rock music nothing beats the high input and amp distortion. I don't turn the gain up very high, about mid way, and use master to get my playing volume. I just use an SD-1 as a level boost, no drive. So when I reach what to my ears is a nice crunch tone in unattenuated mode, I am hitting a max of 90-100 dB. Is that too loud for your situation?
    Sorry for rambling on. I look forward to hearing what you think about your new SC20H head when you get it. :cheers: