The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Most these boxes leave me behind capability wise. I don't have a computer and don't record as the ends to a means. If I did then I would put my money into the cause. I do want the ability to reamp or add power to my small amps and attenuate my big ones to the point I enjoy the sound/feel without irritating others close by.:D

I find these new offerings amazing especially for recording purposes. I may learn to do more at some point in my playing and need one. I can do the Fryette's price point between them. New fiddle and attenuation for the neighbors now & next year I get the SV head.:agreed::D

2. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Have no fear!
    Youtube seems to have basic tutorials for everything these days.
    It's helped me out along my learning curve heaps!
    So if you find yourself getting in a little deep, just look up whatever it is you need.
    Instructions are history.:cheers:

scozz, Old Punker, Del Rei and 3 others like this.
  3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Amen to that!:agreed:

Today I learned to adjust my guitar neck and intonate. Funny thing is I forgot to put the new strings on first.:facepalm:

I got caught up in the tutorial and searching for my tuner, I forgot to string it. I'll let the neck set in a bit and give it fresh teeth in a couple days.:D

scozz, Old Punker, Gaz Baker and 3 others like this.
  4. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Hey, Gaz!
    It’s nothing pro. It’s a Sony a6400. The thing about the bokeh it’s most because of the lenses. When you use a very bright lens you get this bokeh effect. I use a 1.4 - that’s why. :)

Gaz Baker likes this.
  5. Gaz Baker

Nice one Del.
    I totally understand.
    Got a Fujifilm X-T4 with 3 different lenses.
    One of which is a 16mm f1.4.
    So I know what you mean.
    I'm looking to get into videography.
    I recently brought a Zhiyun Weebill S gimbal.:applause:
    And now I'm starting to learn DaVinci Resolve :facepalm:
    So hence the questions.
    Anyway, great job on your videos mate!:cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Hey Solarburn, you'll probably like the PSII when you get it. It has added a whole new dimension to my little 1W practice amp. It's the Blackheart Killer Ant from about 9 yrs ago. It's only control is master volume which meant I used to have to chain boost, EQ, reverb in front, so it was limited. Now, using the Fryette, this little amp sounds like a monster because it uses the PSII FX loop and power amp and can drive my 2x12 cab very nicely. Now it sounds very Plexi like, really nice, to the point where it can directly compete with my bigger amps :flex:. Playing my SG through this setup last night with my Power Station sitting on top of my Marshall, I had to take a second look at my setup because I thought I was playing through my SC20! :rock:

7. Old Punker

Hey Gaz, your post got me thinking...

When I attenuate my SC20H with the Power Station I end up having two FX loops. Does it matter which one I use to run my pedals (reverb and delay)? Am I supposed to be using the attenuator's loop? Is there an advantage to using one over the other?

If I use the Fryette's FX loop but also have an SD-1 pedal in front of the Marshall, can I power all three pedals from the same power supply?

Thanks!

Gaz Baker and tce63 like this.
  8. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I would definitely try the PS loop first. I have a Bad Cat Unleash that is very similar to the PS. Using the loop of these puts your effects post amp. With my Unleash experience it is almost like a studio feel for the effect.

9. Old Punker

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to trying this!
    I actually started wondering about this while looking at the hookup diagrams in the PS2 manual and they always showed the effects connected in the PSII loop, as opposed to the amp being attenuated. I already knew the PS2's FX loop works very well with an amp that doesn't have one.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

A bit of a side track, but I enjoy reading about all these re-amplification boxes, makes me glad I have my Axe Fx :)

11. Gaz Baker

There is no right or wrong. Probably more important to do what works best for you bro.
    I run all my pedals through the front, but I don't have time or modulation pedals these days.

I believe that the FX loop on the PS2 would be better than the amp, purely because the amps loop can add unwanted noise.

But whichever way you want, will certainly be fine, unless it adds noise.

However, in my experience, if you daisy chain your pedals (IE: 5 into 1 pedal power cord) from one pedal power adapter , you WILL get unwanted noise.
    Use a proper mutli port power brick and separate power leads to each pedal.

Note:
    If you plug any of your gear through separate wall sockets, you risk a ground loop hum.
    Plug everything through the same wall socket for added noise cancelling insurance.

Hope this helps mate.
    Let me know how you go.

12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Wanking at home:) voltage regulator just gives it a little more sweetness

13. johnnyeggz

johnnyeggz Active Member

I’m seriously thinking of ordering one right now.

For 3 reasons:

1) It seems kool as hell.

2) It’ll be a great “grab n go” head.

3) I already own what I think will address the SC20h’s slight short comings, the Amptweaker DepthFinder.

That lil pedal should add in the bit of missing “thump”, and it’s internal gain pot will deal with the loops volume drop, and it’s buffered.

Win
    Win
    Win

(Possibly)

14. johnnyeggz

johnnyeggz Active Member

Welp...

Change of plans.

While getting ready to order the SC20 over at Sweerwater, I stumbled on a open box 2555X for $1699, I know I don’t “need” another big amp, but then again I didn’t really need the SC20 either....

sigh....

But you guys should really look into the DepthFinder, it should serve the SC20 well.

15. Old Punker

I couldn't find any reason not to buy one...so :idea:

I believe everyone who can, should buy one

This makes perfect sense, at least in my world!

16. SloeGin

SloeGin New Member

Anyone using the SC20 succesfull at an apartment with an attenuator or volumepedal?
    They sound killer to me but volume might be an issue...

17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Weber Mini Mass 50 that works great with my SC20H

2020-10-01 14-25-11.jpg

2020-05-18 13-27-42.jpg

18. Gaz Baker

With attenuation, or headphone option, I can jam all night if I want

FB_IMG_1599213565341.jpg

19. SloeGin

SloeGin New Member

Very cool.
    How do you achieve it with?

20. Old Punker

I have used both a loop volume pot (JHS Black Amp Box) and attenuator (Fryette Power Station 2). I did get some very nice tones using the JHS pot with the SC20H in 20W mode. In 5W mode it sounded ok too, but not as good as 20W.

Using the Power Station with the SC20H (in 20W mode only) was a whole new world. Hard to put into words but it's 'the feeling' you get when you are playing and you know that this is exactly what you have been waiting to hear! I had just finished transcribing a song and played it straight through using this setup and I felt so great when I finished that I ended my session right after because I wanted to preserve that experience in my memory for as long as possible (I'm weird, I know). And that was with 5 month old strings on my Les Paul.

Volume wise, it would have had to be crazy loud to achieve this without the attenuator, but the Power Station allowed the magic to happen at a much more reasonable level. I'm not talking whisper volume here, but more like a louder tv volume. You can, however, set the volume as low as you like with the PS2, but I don't like anything too low. I hope to be getting a SPL meter soon so that I can quantify this.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and ken361 like this.