The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

It certainly did some damage to my bank account but my Power Station II is well worth it. I did manage to get some pretty good tones using just the Marshall's 5W mode, as well as using a loop pot with the 20W mode, but both paled in comparison to using the 20W mode with the attenuator, and it's also much easier to dial in a great tone with the master up higher. It's hard to put the difference into words, since music transcends simple verbal communication, but 'bigger', 'fuller', 'crisper', 'more alive' come to mind. For me it's more about the feeling I get while playing; the first time I played through my SC20H + PSII, I felt the exhilaration I sometimes experience when everything is 'just perfect' in my world. It's more like a drug, really, along with the withdrawal if you wait too long to play again! The PSII has actually made all of my amps sound A LOT better. Since it took so long to arrive (~3 months) I had time to reconsider the purchase, and at the time I figured I would give it a quick test and return for a full refund, but after using it I was hooked.

One thing I should mention, contrary to some of what might be found on the internet, this magic does not occur at whisper volumes. I use mine at levels from 'loud tv' to maybe that of two angry people yelling at each other, just below the level where neighbors might start to get really pissed off. Yeah, I originally thought I would be listening to a roaring Marshall at mouse fart volumes but nothing really sounds good that low (brain's interpretation of sound?).

Mine is also a 're-amper', in that it contains a reactive load plus a 50W all tube power amp. So any amp you have, even my little 1W practice amp, can become a 50W amp. It also has a built-in FX loop that works really well, again very useful with my no frills practice amp, which now actually competes with its big brothers. It has a bunch of pre/post power amp tone controls to tailor your final sound but I don't use them much since the PSII is pretty transparent. Sorry for the lengthy post. :coffee:

2. Old Punker

I've read only good things about that one and I checked into it. Really amazing pro-level unit but it cost about $700 more than mine and did a lot more than the basic attenuation I was looking for. Mind you, if I hadn't already had a lot of Boss effects pedals and if I were doing recording, I would have found the extra cash!

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Gaz Baker like this.
  3. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Love your description..... ''two angry people''. That's perfect. I'm always in ''Angry mode''.LoL
    It's where the fun begins.
    Sounds like we're achieving very similar results.
    These reactive load boxes really add another level.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  4. Gaz Baker

Yeah.
    Recording is now a ''plug straight in'' affair.
    Has made my guitar life so much easier.
    Started out using IR's, but now it's either fine as is, or a little post EQ. That's it.
    And as for effects, Boss sure knows how to make 'em.
    Very impressive

5. Old Punker

Absolutely, the difference is like night and day. I really didn't know what I was missing until I got mine.
    Admittedly, I was achieving some very good tones before I went the reactive load route, but there was usually something absent when I compared what I was hearing from my amp to my cd recordings of the same song, couldn't quite put my finger on it. Now it's all there!

solarburnDSL50, Gaz Baker and tce63 like this.
  6. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

I feel the same, man.
    At first I played at 1 or 2 and the tone was "ok"... But when You make it scream in loud volumes... It's hard to come back to low volumes!

7. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Awesome man, I’m checking out the fryette atm. What’s better the Weber or fryette? Also is rivera rockcrusher any good?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Old Punker and Gaz Baker like this.
  8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have newer tried the Fryette, but I have two Weber Mini Mass 50 that works great.

9. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Nothing special... But I recorded a fast clip trying some dynamics with the SC20. It's really cool.

10. Gaz Baker

My ten cents worth of opinion. Hopefully it's helpful.:2c:

I have tried a Weber mass? (The big wattage one), and it was terrible. It colored the tone immensely, and there was NO WAY I was going to gel with it. :noplease: (Sorry Weber guys. No offense intended)

I haven't used any of the ones you have mentioned, but doing a quick search, it would have to be the Fryette ps2. Purely because it comes with a list of more useful options, enabling a wider range of usage, in various situations.

And as for the Rivera, it looks to fall well short of the PS2's features.
    The PS 2 has one attenuation control, (No clicky steps on an extra DB dial), giving seamless control from one dial.

I'm not overly keen on the "What you click, is what you get" style EQ on both the PS2, and the Rockcrusher, but maybe these units have app connectivity? To get a more comprehensive control over the EQ.
    Separate level controls for speaker output/s, line out, FOH, would have also been a good addition.

And,...... I would like to have seen a headphones option, with separate level control.
    A function I like to use when everyone is in bed. I can turn down the speaker cab output to zero volume, but still run my amp cranked, and hook up headphones either straight to my boss, or to my interface, which, the latter allows me to not only jam with my drum and bass tracks, but record the same tone that I hear when cranking through my 2x12 cab.
    Another BIG pitfall (For me at least) is I don't see any USB connectivity on either unit. Something that can allow plug and play recording without the use of artificial cab sims, and supply audio interface capabilities.

A big plus to the PS2, is the "Ground lift" switches. They can come in handy when experiencing grounding issues. It also has a lot more impedance options for amp in, and speaker/s out.
    And an external FX loop is a biggy. The loop on the SC20 is shite, IMO, and having an external one is an awesome option! And the fact that the PS 2 has a 50 watt power amp, is a game changer.
    I don't use mine much, but when I have, it effectively gives you a "Bigger amp" option.

Personally, If it were my money, out of the choices you have listed, I would most definitely get the PS2. But really, only you can know what is the exact fit for your needs!:agreed:

Just remember that, "Quality is remembered, long after the price is forgotten". Buy once, and save in the long term.

Hopefully, this spiel has been of some benefit to you.

Cheers :cheers:

11. Gaz Baker

Another awesome sounding clip Del!

What camera/s are you using?

I really dig the use of camera angles in your clips, and the Bokeh in some scenes.

12. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Haha thanks. Yeah I’ve been doing loads of research and have already settled on purchasing the fryette! It still has the presence and depth knobs alongside side the other click on/off switches so tailoring your sound should be a breeze. Also the fryette has the ground lift switch not sure the rockcrusher has. After watching YouTube videos the fryette looks the most transparent and with a 50 watt tube poweramp built in its a no brainer imo...

Old Punker and Gaz Baker like this.
  13. Old Punker

The units you mention are all very popular and all have great reviews. Unfortunately, I can't really say if one is 'better' than the others since I only have experience with the PSII. The problems I ran into during my search included not being able to test drive them because:
    • the only one sold in a Canadian store (Long & McQuade) is the Rockcrusher and at the time I believe there was only one in stock in a city within a covid hot zone 2 hrs away. Plus I really wanted a continuous attenuation adjustment instead of the discrete steps on the Rockcrusher.
    • both the Weber and the Fryette involved ordering online from the USA without the opportunity to test so I chose the PSII because it seemed best suited to my own needs and (at the time at least) seemed like it would arrive sooner.
    As it turned out I had to wait a long time, but I am very happy with my purchase. I did a quick check online and it seems like both the Fryette and Rockcrusher are backordered right now on the major US online retailers but you can order direct from Weber with "at least two weeks before your unit is built and ready to ship".

If I were buying now I would personally consider either the Fryette or one of the Weber units. I know there are people on this site that are very happy with their Webers. I would probably go for whichever is more readily available. If you order one of the Webers, please read the cautionary notes on their website about how to choose the right capacity unit, especially if you plan to attenuate a larger amp down to a very low volume.

If money is not an object and you are interested in a pro level feature-packed unit you can check out the the Boss Tube Amp Expander, which seems to have better availability. These also have stellar reviews and Gaz Baker on this site has one and he loves his.

Gaz Baker likes this.
  14. Old Punker

Just a note - my PS2, and all of the new ones shipping are now version '2A', meaning there is a ground lift switch as well as a line out level control. They have also done away with the low pass filter. Their website may not yet show this update. The impedance selections for amp/speaker are '2/4, 8, 16' and it can handle input power up to 200W.

I also find I have great control over EQ, yes, there are the switches but also the presence and depth controls that can do a lot of tone shaping. I find these controls combined with the transparency of the unit allow me to achieve any tone I want. The only time you may be nearing the end of the controls range is when you are attenuating a larger amp down to a whisper volume.

I do agree that a headphone out would have been nice. Maybe this is possible using the line out into a cheap mixer?

15. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Sounds good, but your bass frequencies went on a diet. ;-)

tce63 and Old Punker like this.
  16. Old Punker

Good choice! Hope you don't have to wait as long as I did. :applause:

tce63 and Gaz Baker like this.
  17. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

Yeah currently out of stock where I’m from :hmm:

tce63 and Old Punker like this.
  18. Gaz Baker

That's an outstanding feature! I like that it caters for the "Amp in", and the "Speaker out" impedance. Plenty of versatility.

OK. Good to know. Some attenuators lack the ability to adjust EQ, but sounds like the PS2 has it covered well.

Headphones option won't be important to everyone, but something I like.
    But yeah. You're right. Could probably do a work around using a mixer, or the likes.
    There's a lot going for the PS2. I reckon it's good value!!

Can't wait to hear @crossy67 's review once he's got it set up.

tce63, solarburnDSL50 and crossy67 like this.
  19. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I was just looking at the PS2. Noticed it had the ground lift and other things mentioned.

Fucker's in my wish list. I had the Boss Tube Expander in first but got real practical to save money. So in goes the Fryette. love that it power boosts these small amps. I'm getting another guitar as well so have to make gear work for me. I ordered a Freidman Small box pedal. Be here Friday. Love those lower gain vintage pedals. Wamplers new mini Plexi Drive sounds great too. Carl Martin has a new version with a built in treble booster. Looks like Plexi is in these days. Has been for me since I first had sex with one.:shock:

One other option for attenuation plus is the Universal Audio Ox Box. Same price as the Boss.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  20. Gaz Baker

Ahh, yes. The UA Ox Box.

From what I understand, the UA Ox Box is in direct competition with the Boss Waza blah blah...
    They're certainly priced similarly.

I got given the Boss, so there was no choice, but I did look into the UA Ox Box.
    The Boss is more compatible with all platforms, (Apple, Windows,etc...) it has a 100watt built in Power Amp, and has "Resonance -Z", and " Presence -Z" reactive load dials, which really change the FEEL of the output/amp.
    I can get my 20watt, 2x12, feeling like a much bigger amp. The Boss does need a laptop or computer to get into the guts of it, as it's not connectable via an app,
    But once you're in there, you can save 40 presets. 10 to the physical box's "Rig" dial, and operate all of them, plus the effects, via the multi function foot pedal.
    There's more connections on the back, with separate level controls, and just a lot more on offer in general.

About he only thing the OxBox has over the TAE, is it's built in Cab/Mic/Room simulator is more in depth than the Boss', but that's not an issue when using cab sims, etc... on the computer, you can load them into the Boss, then you can save your fav's to the rig dial,
    and although the Ox Box can be connected to a smart device via an app, it only works on apple products. (No good to this windows/android user)

I think each one would be great, but if in the search for an elaborate attenuator/loadbox budget was no issue, it would be the Boss, no contest.

Actually, considering the price differential, and feature list, I think the Fryette would be better than the Ox Box.

8b72d6-gafafas.jpg