The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Some sided by side comparison videos I’ve seen, has the Studio classic sounding noticeably less beefy than their bigger watt brothers. Understandable.

on its own, do you feel it lacks depth and girth?

tce63 likes this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

For a small iron 20w amp, no. Compared to a big iron 100w amp, of course.

scozz, Old Punker, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  3. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

It’s funny, the first one I had (sc20c) sounded thin on the bottom end and harsh on the top end when compared to my 2203 (using the same cab). For neutral settings on the 100w I had to dial up the bass and turn down the treble and presence on the sc20c but it still had some kind of mild shittyness to the texture of the distortion.

I end up in isolation and read this whole thread. I watch all the videos I can find and notice the same thing you do.. sometimes the 20 sounds like the 100.. sometimes it doesn’t. I do suspect it’s more a variation of the old amps due to the mix and match off parts used and aging capacitors but A few beers in wtf.. I buy a sc20 head.

Like the definition of insanity goes I repeat all the same comparisons with the new SC20h. This 20w has more bottom end, the highs are smoother and the distortion sounds like it should compared to the first 20. This one sounds very much like my 2203. The tones are on par with my 2203. If I’m being super critical there is a barely detectable difference but now I can’t decide which tone I like better. The 2203 eventually goes. I am completely happy with my SC20h.

Now comparing the 100w to the current 20 watt: they sound almost identical as you turn them up at equal (in room) volume until the 20 starts entering output tube distortion. Obviously, with the 100 you can keep going with the volume which is thunderous and awesome but it’s just too freaking loud for what I need under any circumstance. Every time I crank the 100 up I love it then walk around with my ears ringing asking myself wtf do I keep doing that lol! And that whole rig is just a heavy pig.

Now here is what I have found different about my 100 and second 20:
    -Consider these are master volume amps so this won’t matter for most of us but the 100 has a slightly better distortion tone than the 20 ONLY when you start really overdriving the output section. IMO the 100w is way too loud in this region anyway.
    -If you play with a band and are a low input plug 800 guy who plays very clean.. well the volume just won’t cut it on the 20.. if you like this tone then it’s gotta be the 100w, although Marshall has better amps suited for this less used scenario IMO.

As for the differences between my combo and head. It was most likely bad tubes. Small chance it was some QC issue. Then there is always the possibility of a design concept where the combo has minor tone tweaks to compensate for the sound of the small open back 10”?? This would make it sound different than the others on the same cab. I do not see why they would ever do this being how these amps are marketed but hey you never know. I suppose a couple folks with each version could get together and easily rule this out.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

No--and it is the only sub 50w head I have right now. Sounds like a Marshall--highs and lows are prominent. It seems to be louder than the Vintage Modern I have actually.

If you can play a 2203/4 regularly with everything above noon and don't have to lug your amps at all then the SC20 is a waste of time. For me, controlling stage volume is important but not if it means I sacrifice tone and feel. The SC20 sounds like a smaller 2203. "Smaller" but not "small" IMO. Cathode bias, good loop, small footprint and light as a feather are all bonuses.

5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Bought a APC voltage regulator cheap too it keeps the voltage at 220 all the time and protects it also from power outages ect. I notice a little less brightness now.

6. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I’d love to try one in a band setting

7. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Hey guys, not sure if this has been talked about yet but does anyone know what stock pre/power tubes Marshall are using in the SC20H? Looks like they just say 'Marshall' on them but who actually makes them? Have they been using the same tubes since production first started? Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  8. Old Punker

If you are using it for battery backup you might want to make sure that it is outputting a proper sine wave. Most of the APC units I've run into output a rough approximation of a sine wave and are designed mainly for computer power supplies, not really for 'old world' type of equipment like our tube amps. I'm no expert but this is what I've heard.

tce63 likes this.
  9. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

no battery back up on mine

10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Pre is a JJ v1 and chinese v2 v3 powers are JJ

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  11. Old Punker

Thanks Ken!

ken361 likes this.
  12. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Been mating a new to me pedal with the SC. Called the UZI Revolution series. Lil over 2 minutes. Yes it's 20 watts of sloppy. :D

It actually cleans up well. Pedal was on the whole time.

13. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I should tune strings once in awhile.:shock:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  14. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

I just bought one of these heads and it sounds awesome...Not sure if been discussed before but with preamp dimmed it just sounds fuller, at least on mine anyway. As soon as you dial it back it gets thinner and glassy which is something you can tame with eq but with bass already reasonably high it makes it harder! Doesn’t matter to me as it is where I have it anyway especially for the hard rock I play, pushed with an sd-1.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  15. Old Punker

Congrats on the new SC20H! I have the same head and I'm very happy with mine too. Yes, this is how the circuit behaves; I remember reading somewhere that it is by design, something about a cap that is engaged at gain < max. This amp (all JCM 800's) were designed to be played in a live setting at stage volumes, and to cut through a mix. I use the SD-1 as well (level up, gain at zero) in front of the amp, but of course that doesn't help to cut highs. A few things I found that help to thicken up the sound at lower (home friendly) volumes:

- Les Paul style guitar with humbuckers
    - 2x12 or bigger cab
    - turn treble and presence down (you probably do already)
    - Reverb pedal in FX loop
    - attenuator

I found that having my reverb pedal (Holy Grail Max) in the loop REALLY makes it sound a lot fuller. Yesterday I plugged in my SG and forgot to turn on the reverb and it sounded seriously 'thin and glassy' as you described; when I stomped on the reverb it dramatically changed everything for the better! *If someone knows why this is so, please enlighten me.*

Also, I recently became the proud owner of a Fryette Power Station II attenuator / re-amper, which lets me turn the master up a lot higher, and this amp certainly sounds a lot fuller at higher volumes, in fact it sounds incredible!

Hope this helps.

16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I get a little more gain with the master maxed I was using at 7 for awhile and today cranked it up.

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I use an attenuator also. I’m a at home player these days, so an attenuator is a must with an amp like the SC20. My attenuator enables me to really fully enjoy my SC20 at home, without going deaf!

And it sounds great attenuated!

18. crossy67

crossy67 Active Member

I’m getting great tones with master on 2. Obviously even better if master on 5! What attenuation do you use?

19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Weber Minimass 50

https://tedweber.com/minimass/

20. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Lots of choices on attenuators, but one of these takes your amp next level.

Has a raft of onboard effects, attenuates, and has a 100 watt built in power amp. So it effectively turns the SC20, into it's big brother. (That will no doubt get a few choking)

No tonal deviation at all. It sounds pristine!

8b72d6-gafafas.jpg