The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Gibby's PUps are ok for rock, I guess, but it's the heavier genre's I play is where they fall short
Yup, a different tools for different jobs kind of thing. I've got two humhucker guitars now, two LPs, I'm a Les Paul man, (through and through, ha!), a 1982 Custom, (that I bought new and still have), in Wine Red with Tim Shaw pickups, in both positions of course. Back then they didn't have different specs for bridge and neck positions.

My other LP is a 2006 Studio Premium Plus that I also bought new, it came with Gibson 490r/498t pickup combo. I changed them out to Dimarzios, a 36th Anniversary DP223 in the neck and a AT-1 DP224 in the bridge. I changed the pickups as part of a larger upgrade, changed out all the hardware from gold to nickel.

Here's two pics showing the before and after. I'm generally not a fan of gold hardware anyway, so the gold with this finish was way too blingy for my taste.

Before

After

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, a different tools for different jobs kind of thing. I've got two humhucker guitars now, two LPs, I'm a Les Paul man, (through and through, ha!), a 1982 Custom, (that I bought new and still have), in Wine Red with Tim Shaw pickups, in both positions of course. Back then they didn't have different specs for bridge and neck positions.

My other LP is a 2006 Studio Premium Plus that I also bought new, it came with Gibson 490r/498t pickup combo. I changed them out to Dimarzios, a 36th Anniversary DP223 in the neck and a AT-1 DP224 in the bridge. I changed the pickups as part of a larger upgrade, changed out all the hardware from gold to nickel.

Here's two pics showing the before and after. I'm generally not a fan of gold hardware anyway, so the gold with this finish was way too blingy for my taste.

Before

After

I saw this ad in Sweden today :)

https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/gibson_les_paul_push_tone_gotm_2008/91908584

Not the same I know but, but looks like a nice piece of wood.

2020-09-10 23-14-10.jpg

ken361

Reaction score
Frankly, I don't know. (I'm at work)

But for the record, I have tried different PUp heights.
Hell, I even had them so high, there's 6 string marks on the chrome covers.

Well this might help it saves a lot of guesswork Pauls are easy strats are a bitch at times:)
With a mechanics ruler everyone should own one BTW pressing at the last fret high E bridge pup a good 1.5 to 2 MM measuring from the fret to the bottom of the string. Neck pup also very important same thing at around 2 to 3 MM. I always find these settings always work. I test them with a amp cranked loud and dial it in.

malice95

Reaction score
For those of you still on the fence regarding if a SC20h sounds like a 2203, I just got a 2203 with 6550's today and A/B'd it against the SC20h. Same settings, 20 watt mode vs 100 watts, roughly same volume. Dam if they don't sound nearly identical at unreasonable home volumes. The 2203 has a bit more heft in the bottom end. If I was able to open the 2203 more I'm sure it would really outshine with the dynamics, but the SC20h is no slouch. Well worth the $800 or so they are going for used and its got THAT sound.

I'm definitely keeping the 2203, but I don't know what I should do with the SC20h. Sell, keep.. hmm.

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Cuz youre not willing to put an OD pedal out front right? Grab a Proco Rat!

When I had my LP stock, I was pleasantly surprised with the tones using a Wampler Dracarys going through the Low Sensitivity input on the Studio Classic, and another surprise was when I was at my local pusher trying out the Friedman JJjr combo. Stock Gibson pickups don't suck with heavy rock and metal, but some of their sets struggle more than others for that job.

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
For those of you still on the fence regarding if a SC20h sounds like a 2203, I just got a 2203 with 6550's today and A/B'd it against the SC20h. Same settings, 20 watt mode vs 100 watts, roughly same volume. Dam if they don't sound nearly identical at unreasonable home volumes. The 2203 has a bit more heft in the bottom end. If I was able to open the 2203 more I'm sure it would really outshine with the dynamics, but the SC20h is no slouch. Well worth the $800 or so they are going for used and its got THAT sound.

I'm definitely keeping the 2203, but I don't know what I should do with the SC20h. Sell, keep.. hmm.

Maybe trade for the Studio Vintage head for a different Marshall flavor?