The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Well-Known Member

In the two videos, I hit the front end with the Friedman Golden Pearl overdrive, and in the future I'll be using the Friedman Sir-Compre also. I've tried lower preamp volume and never really cared much for that kind of tone with the stock speaker, but with the Alnico Gold, particularly after it's broken in, I may actually dig running the amp that way. When I first got the amp, I ran the preamp all the way up but these days I'm around 6 or 7, and use an overdrive pedal for a little more saturation. Things are going to get interesting when the Antiquity jazz gets here to compliment the antiquity jb. While I like the Aldrich pickup I have a feeling that the upper mids of the JB will be the golden ticket. Rolling back the volume on the neck pickup gives me a really good clean tone, leaving the bridge pickup all the way allows for that Les Paul into a Marshall crunch, and an overdrive pushes the tone into heavier territory. Nice simple and highly versatile rig

2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I do the same, preamp on around 6, Golden Pearl up front for a little more drive and more articulation. I'm currently using a Spark Boost in the loop for a lead volume boost.

3. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

I'll be keen to hear what that sounds like.
    I've looked into all the pups you mentioned a while back, but still haven't committed to buying any.

For me, at least, the key is finding a sound that I don't have to touch.
    I seemed to have got that with my rig, and Schecter, just not for my LP. The burstbuckers are pretty average.
    Infact, I rarely play my Les Paul.

4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Trying to get my phone in a sweet spot but it's getting decked. My defense the amp is at 20 watts with master at 3:30pm and gain at 2 pm mildly boosted in front with my Breakdown pedal. Into my 412 5153 GB'd cab. Using my GT Tele.

5. solarburnDSL50

Same amp settings only backed off guitar volume. No IR's used cause I'm sloppy Joe. And fool'n about. I just love romping this amp.

6. solarburnDSL50

I'm celebrating my oldest daughter getting married today. Epic mountain tapestry here in Washington. Got to walk her down the aisle and hand her off to my new son. Crystal Mountain resort. Epic!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  7. solarburnDSL50

Gat Daem Marshallz. :drool:

Shit ass 40C. Rip it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  8. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

9. solarburnDSL50

So are you still enjoying yours bud?

10. solarburnDSL50

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations Solar!

Can't see or hear the video bro, it plays but it's just a black screen.

12. solarburnDSL50

No audio? Yeah no visual. Thanks bud. Had to be there. Hehe.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. solarburnDSL50

I'm afraid of heights and the gondola was straight up...well in my eye. My knees were wobbling yet I managed to get it together and walk her down the aisle which opened up to Mt. Rainier. You would of laughed your ass off at me shaking!LOL

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Hard to hear the pedal on and off at the beginning its suttle i had it set low but live its like going to mono to stereo sorta 3D sounding less boxy. The spark boost is good but less full sounding by some the Ep3 is 22 volts some mistakes lol 5 watts master at 7 gain 7

15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Sounds good Ken
    Thanks for posting.
    Mitch

16. Ian Alderman

Here's a marriage of Marshall goodness with the Alnico Gold and the Friedman Sir-Compre up front, I dig it!

17. Ian Alderman

I hear what you're saying about the pickups in the LP. Mine came with Custombuckers which people seem to rave over but I wasn't really digging it. I'm primarily into rock music from the 70s to the 90s and I've loaded a JB into an LP before and really liked it. I'm a big tinkerer, but I think having a pickup wound by MJ and one wound by Seymour is where the journey ends as far as tinkering goes. I've got enough pickups stockpiled that I could sell them and get a Studio Vintage. I don't really want to mess with the guitar any longer, just play because we definitely have that bond.

Mitchell Pearrow, Gaz Baker and tce63 like this.
  18. Ian Alderman

19. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Great clips Ian. I like your style of playing. Very similar to what I jam to.:hbang:

It's a good feeling when you gel with a guitar, but I'm starting to think I might part with my Les Paul, as I'm just not bonding with it in the way I'd expect for a guitar of it's stature.

Maybe I brought the wrong model,.... I dunno :sad:

20. Ian Alderman

Thanks man! I really like the heavy rock that flirts with metal, but not full on Decapitated Amon Amarth Meshuggah metal, though I listen to them and other metal bands as well.

The Les Paul just like any other guitar works for some people and not so much for others. It could be the model, or simply that you're not an LP kind of person which is cool, that's why there are so many kinds of guitars out there.

Seeing that you're liking Schecter guitars the one Lester I would recommend is a long discontinued model, the KM. My first Les Paul was a 79 Kalamazoo Model and it had a very skinny neck and a volute. Wasn't a huge fan of the slightly oversized headstock, but other than that it was pretty awesome and I changed nothing but the strings on that guitar. Wasn't unbearably heavy to me, but YMMV.

I never thought I'd gel with a beefy 50s style neck, but the one on mine I've grown used to, can even do some of the faster Metallica riffing on it.

I think the biggest issue I've had are essentially the stock pickups. I've used Burstbucker pros, Burstbucker 1 and 2, 490s, 498T, 500T and there's this grainy thing going on, and not enough oomph like the sound is missing something for the heavier rock stuff. If I were a classic rock and blues guy I would probably have no issues with them.

If you can see if you can try different models, some necks are wider and fatter, some are super slim, some weigh a ton and some are just right. When you find a good one, it's like finding a friend.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and Gaz Baker like this.