The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

ken361

Reaction score
Got one of these Echoplex preamp pedal the other day it sounds excellent through the deluxe reverb and the SC. Kyle the owner recommends it last in the chain I ran it straight in at first. Adds a slight boost but more dynamic 3D sounding. Last night I had the delay first and the preamp man the low end of the SC was huge, you want to leave it on all the time!

https://chasetone.com/secret-preamp/

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Haven't been here in a WHILE, not since working over 60 hours a week has become a common occurrence for me. I decided to install a Celestion G10 Alnico Gold last night and so far, I really like it! Here's a clip with low volume from this morning, I'll post a clip when I get home with some higher volume. For a 10 inch speaker this thing has some huevos!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't been here in a WHILE, not since working over 60 hours a week has become a common occurrence for me. I decided to install a Celestion G10 Alnico Gold last night and so far, I really like it! Here's a clip with low volume from this morning, I'll post a clip when I get home with some higher volume. For a 10 inch speaker this thing has some huevos!

Sounds great brother, I get tired of hearing the 10’s don’t rock. You have just proven they indeed do.
Cheers
Mitch

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Sounds great brother, I get tired of hearing the 10’s don’t rock. You have just proven they indeed do.
Cheers
Mitch

Thanks man! Certain 10's can really pack a wallop. In the video, the volume was at 0.5 in full power mode! I haven't had the chance to give it everything the speaker can handle, but the Alnico Gold has some volume going on that's for sure. Even though it's 10w less than the stock speaker it's 3 db louder so that might have something to do with it

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Maybe you should have compensated by dialing back a bit the Pre-Amp Volume?

That or lowering the bass a little, I've had the speaker for less than 24 hours now and we're in the get to know each other phase. I'm definitely satisfied with it and it'll be nice to hear the speaker once it's been broken in though.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wondering where you’ve been @Ian Alderman! While you and I play very different kinds of music, it just goes to show how versatile this amp really is.

I’m a Rock & Roll, Hard Rock and Blues guy, and I can get all the tones I want and need for these music genre.

You know it’s a little funny, while I enjoyed both of your clips, when @CreepBG mentioned turning down the preamp volume, I found myself agreeing with him.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great tone for the kind of music you play, thick and rich sounding with that inescapable Marshall roar. But for me, and maybe Creep too I’m not sure, prefer a higher MV than a higher Preamp volume,...most of the time.

I’m happy to hear from you again Ian, and I’m looking forward to hear more clips as that new G10 Alnico Blue starts to break in. I have a feeling you’re gonna have a lot of fun!

Cheers

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
Yes, Friedman Golden Pearl

That's a seriously grunty sound.
I like! :agreed:

Although I get what @CreepBG and @scozz are saying, I tend to disagree.

I know that with a Gibby, you can rely on the guitar volume to clean up the sound as needed.
This is how I dial my set up in these days.
Even for heavier stuff.
I'll tune my OD pedals in for a hard edge tone, but for a more articulated sound, I roll off the guitar volume slightly.
I may lose a bit of the ''hairy edge'', but it sounds just as heavy, only more clear.
That said, my PA dial is only on 3.
My grunt comes from 2 stacked OD pedals. Both clean boosting

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
That's a seriously grunty sound.
I like! :agreed:

Although I get what @CreepBG and @scozz are saying, I tend to disagree.

I know that with a Gibby, you can rely on the guitar volume to clean up the sound as needed.
This is how I dial my set up in these days.
Even for heavier stuff.
I'll tune my OD pedals in for a hard edge tone, but for a more articulated sound, I roll off the guitar volume slightly.
I may lose a bit of the ''hairy edge'', but it sounds just as heavy, only more clear.
That said, my PA dial is only on 3.
My grunt comes from 2 stacked OD pedals. Both clean boosting
Yes, although some may get what they want from the amp running the preamp lower than the master, the amp was designed to get the drive from the preamp, and overall volume controlled by the master. With that in mind, I never run the preamp volume below 5 or 6. Below that, and like yourself, pedals start becoming the primary source of overdrive. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
Yes, although some may get what they want from the amp running the preamp lower than the master, the amp was designed to get the drive from the preamp, and overall volume controlled by the master. With that in mind, I never run the preamp volume below 5 or 6. Below that, and like yourself, pedals start becoming the primary source of overdrive. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

It really comes down to what is desired genre/tone/sound wise, but this is why all the heaviest of bands don't rely solely on the use of an amps' gain.
They all seem to use OD pedals to some degree. Mostly clean boosting to attain that compressed bottom end

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
It really comes down to what is desired genre/tone/sound wise, but this is why all the heaviest of bands don't rely solely on the use of an amps' gain.
They all seem to use OD pedals to some degree. Mostly clean boosting to attain that compressed bottom end
By compressed, are you meaning tight? To me, compressed is the opposite of tight, which is what I thought "the heaviest" bands were after (tight in the low end).

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
By compressed, are you meaning tight? To me, compressed is the opposite of tight, which is what I thought "the heaviest" bands were after (tight in the low end).

Yeah.
Compressed, (not loose) tight, which ever interpretation you prefer.
But yeah. Youre right