The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by MarshallDog, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

Sweet dude. Also I love your profile pic haha.

2. GibsonSgSpecial

GibsonSgSpecial Member

Haha thanks man, I like cats lol, keep on rocking man.

3. Melvin

Melvin New Member

Anyone have a sound clip with a Rat running with the Origin 50 head? Thinking about adding one to my board but figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask around here.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am sorry brother, I have no rat, SD1, Joyo Ultimate drive only, with MXR10 band eq.

Melvin and tce63 like this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Hi Everybody

Count me in!!!!

Back to Marshall since I sold my JCM900 MKIII years ago

I got yesterday my "new to me" Marshall Origin 50c. I bought it second hand from a friend who purchased it last august. He used it two or three times and didn't liked. I needed a gigging amp with plenty of loud and possibility of taming it for small venues for my covers band. Everything factory, even valves. I played it for one hour and liked, maybe a bit bright, it but knew some improvements should to be done.

Got it to my studio, oppened the back and swapped the factory 12AX7 Marshall Sovtek labeled valves for some others I had in a draw and what a change!! Bright was gone and started really liking it. It comes with a red one in V1 and brown ones in V2 and V3, I used ao old Mullad silver plate in V1 an Holland ARS named in V2 and a TAD Select in V3

I am not into high gain. My main amp (in another band) is a Fender Bassman 59 LTD. I play mainly Pub-rock, r'n'r and those things. Now I can leave the pedals at home.

Just played it one evening only. my thoughts are, 5W is nice por quiet playing by yourself, too much for home. 10W is loud! I can use that all day with my band ( a trio) I can get the Cranked Bassman sound I cannot get with the real Bassman without deafening all the neighbourhood. . Really. And 50W will blow your wig out of your head. Very usable amp

Boost is a tad trebley but will check that later. Pluging a patch cable in the effects loop did almost nuthin'. I want to think I hear a small difference but lets play the thing more time

but the feature that I most like is the DI line output... is GOOD!!! Is useable. I plugged it in a PA and played on top of mu music and was amazed by the quality... not bad at all!!!

I got it yesterday and I am really happy so far

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on the new amp! They are great amps. They just need new tubes and a new speaker in my opinion. I put the G12M-65 in mine and wow what an improvement!

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Congratulations on your new amp.
    I am also a strong supporter of this amp, I have the head versions.
    Cheers Mitch

8. josephcu01

josephcu01 New Member

Just install a EVM12L speaker into Marshall origin. And turned in to the best pedal platform amp.

9. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Origin club, brother!

10. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Cheers mate!!

Well... I won't be changing anything so far. Just the valves swap changed it really good.

I had a band rehearshal yesterday and could put it trough it's paces during three hours. Started wit all EQ on 6 and then went moving until I found a place where I stood comfortable.

Is a good amp for my band. It fills the room. The open back is a part of it. I don't want to use pedals. I want this amp for gigs and the less you carry the better for me. I just use the built in Boost for leads and the Effect loop to engage a tuneron top of the amp and I am done!!!

I used it 10W (loud enough for a trío) Master all crancked up and Gain 3,5. I must continue fiddling with the tilt (4), EQ (6, 8, 4) and presence (0) but I am loving it. It really resembles my Bassman 59 all dimmed up

rolijen, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  11. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Hi

After some more playing I start to find the boost a bit trebley... has any body done any mod to fix this?
    Or just don't care...

12. Mitchell Pearrow

I have not heard of any mods for that, or much else for that matter .
    Cheers

tce63 likes this.
  13. Naked Alien

Naked Alien New Member

Has anyone tried a classic lead 80 in one of these?

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

No I have not.
    Welcome to the forum, if anyone has they will bring an answer.
    Cheers Mitch

tce63 likes this.
  15. AdaminoX

AdaminoX New Member

Hi all
    Got myself an Origin 50C last week.Damn its loud,even with my Marshall Power Break on one notch.Obviously the master is set at around 2 o clock to make the amp sound liveable.
    Im aiming at changing the speaker to a celestion V30 60 watt at some stage as I have a few well broken into.
    I also found that the amp sounded way better with my Line 6 DL 4 plugged ON into the fx loop.
    I also saw that there have been some folks performing mods on these amps and the capacitor change on the tilt potentiometer sounds interesting.
    Im sure that there are a few mods out there too.
    Im also thinking of getting an attenuator (or even making my own)to play at home levels as I find that the Power Break 1 notch volume is still too loud

any opinions

cheers

Adaminox

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. jayme

jayme New Member

I really don't like jj's ether i just put mullard el34s and tung sol 12ax7 in my origin 50 head ...huge difference and it was super easy too ...

MarshallDog likes this.
  17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

:welcome: to the forum, a great place

Cheers :cheers:

MarshallDog likes this.
  18. jayme

jayme New Member

So here's my origin 50, mullard el34s and tung sol 12ax7 and my custom jtm style nameplate...sounds amazing thru a origin 4x12...and just has great has my 18 watt I built next to It!!!

Attached Files:

19. Jason Fieldhouseespk

Jason Fieldhouseespk Well-Known Member

Regarding the Marshall Origin 20 (or 50, head or combo).

I have a question for everyone, would like to hear your thoughts, and experiences with the FX Loop.

I have been planning some mods for a while, PPIMV, a switch for the fx loop, and some cosmetic changes, and mine has been in the shop for many months.

But I FINALLY I have my tech working on the amp soon..... All jobs are easy enough.

PPIMV is just 1 wire, using either the existing Master pot, or I could very easily use a push pull pot to toggle between pre and post...

Fx Loop, here's my question... I can put a toggle switch and a resistor in, to be able to switch the fx loop on and off. But, I had a thought, if it just switches it to ground, I could just use a variable resistor and and have the pot be used as an FX volume control? All the way down and the FX Loop is off, all the way up it is on full, everywhere inbetween increases or decreases the amount of signal sent to ground.

Does anyone think that might be needed? Does anyone think the FX Loop is too loud at times? Could it do with turning down a bit? Or just stick with an on/off switch?

I'm also adding one of those killer looking square power indicator lights, it just looks cooler.

tce63 likes this.
  20. jayme

jayme New Member

the foot pedal switches the effects loop ...i run the four cable method with my headrush gigboard, the only thing that's in the front is the tube scream the effects are thru the loop