The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Question:

Where can I get plastic bumpers for the corners on an origin 50 combo?

I think you may just have to buy some and try some?! The corner radiuses are not the same as the plastic Marshall ones and the width of the walls are different making it basically impossible to rivet into place. Good luck!

Magvike

Reaction score
I changed R62 in my Origin 50H from 820 ohm to 2.2k ohm. I like it better that way. It seems to make the boost function more palatable as well. I have a JBL E130 15" speaker I wanted to try but it seems to have taken a crap again. I had it repaired once for about $250, so I won't be doing that again... I built a little box to take 2x8 ohm speakers and put them in series so I can use two 1x12 cabinets, since I don't have any 16 ohm speakers that I like.

Dave J

Reaction score
There is another Origin thread regarding pedals but I thought the "official" Origin 50 thread was a better place for this question. I searched the entire site but didn't find my answer, sorry if it's out there somewhere.
Question is this, I have read else where that there is a design issue with the Origins tubes being too close and causing problems. Is this an issue to worry about or just a one off problem that was blown out of proportion?
As an unrelated follow up, how does the ORIGIN 2x12 extension cab stack up to a good aftermarket made cab? Forget about the speakers, they'd come out. Just curious if the cab material is really bad as far as sound goes or is it reasonable. I wouldn't expect it to hang with a Avatar, Stagecraft, etc.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
There is another Origin thread regarding pedals but I thought the "official" Origin 50 thread was a better place for this question. I searched the entire site but didn't find my answer, sorry if it's out there somewhere.
Question is this, I have read else where that there is a design issue with the Origins tubes being too close and causing problems. Is this an issue to worry about or just a one off problem that was blown out of proportion?
As an unrelated follow up, how does the ORIGIN 2x12 extension cab stack up to a good aftermarket made cab? Forget about the speakers, they'd come out. Just curious if the cab material is really bad as far as sound goes or is it reasonable. I wouldn't expect it to hang with a Avatar, Stagecraft, etc.
I’ve had absolutely no issue with the tubes in my Origin 50C at all!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have personally not had any problems with mine 50H’s .. I think it was a one off deal that got spread on the webs,, because I have not heard of another one..
(concerning tubes being to close)

Cheers
Mitch

jvmiLLer

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a 50C a couple of months ago. Mainly play at home, low power mode getting to crank it some times.
So, I've got a Vintage V100 Les Paul with p.a.f style humbuckers 7,9k bridge 7,8k neck. When crankin it, gets really treably, tilt goes about 2-3, treble 2 and presence 2.
The amp is all stock. So i've been looking to upgrade the speaker, but since I live in Brazil the celestions are a little hard to find, got a eminence dealler, bot no knoledge at all about theses speakers. Does anyone have experience with eminence and could give me a tip about which model I should choose? Would like to get a tone with less treble, thats been bothering me.
Thank you guys!

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a 50C a couple of months ago. Mainly play at home, low power mode getting to crank it some times.
So, I've got a Vintage V100 Les Paul with p.a.f style humbuckers 7,9k bridge 7,8k neck. When crankin it, gets really treably, tilt goes about 2-3, treble 2 and presence 2.
The amp is all stock. So i've been looking to upgrade the speaker, but since I live in Brazil the celestions are a little hard to find, got a eminence dealler, bot no knoledge at all about theses speakers. Does anyone have experience with eminence and could give me a tip about which model I should choose? Would like to get a tone with less treble, thats been bothering me.
Thank you guys!
Interesting, I’m running my Ori50h into a pair of old 30 watt greenbacks and I’m not finding it has too much treble at all.

jvmiLLer

Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow @Ufoscorpion I think its the cabinet and speaker of the combo that gets the brightness. And I read about it from a couple of owners.

So can you guys suggest a speaker to improve that, as I sad celestions are a little hard to find over here, so if someone that have experience with eminence could give me a tip.

Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow @Ufoscorpion I think its the cabinet and speaker of the combo that gets the brightness. And I read about it from a couple of owners.

So can you guys suggest a speaker to improve that, as I sad celestions are a little hard to find over here, so if someone that have experience with eminence could give me a tip.

Thanks!
I would check with @MarshallDog as I know he has the combo..

RCM 800

Reaction score
Thank you guys!
I would try a 7 or 10 band eq and see if I could kill the frequency thats bothering you. That and go ahead and turn the pres/tilt/high all the way down to see if that fixes it. Im sorry I dont have a lot of experience with eminence but I think they have a cross chart. I would look at the equivelent of a creamback or V30 (governor?) if you do change the speaker. V30s have a ton of upper mids so that may work for or against you.

idw357

Reaction score

Thanks!
A bit expensive, but I absolutely love the Celestion Cream AlNiCo 90 watt. Glorious sounds when it starts to break up

idw357

Reaction score
I’ve yet to figure out how to post a new topic within the Ori50 Forum. Anyway, has anyone had heat problems with the 50 head, playing outside in the summer? I bought a rechargeable minifan that I can hang off the back , directed right into the back of the head, it can go for hours on low speed. So far so good. Any of you had summer heat issues??

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve yet to figure out how to post a new topic within the Ori50 Forum. Anyway, has anyone had heat problems with the 50 head, playing outside in the summer? I bought a rechargeable minifan that I can hang off the back , directed right into the back of the head, it can go for hours on low speed. So far so good. Any of you had summer heat issues??
I have not had any heat related issues as of yet .. 3 plus years and still going fine, but my head shell is never in direct Sunlight.

Cheers
Mitch

idw357

Reaction score
I have not had any heat related issues as of yet .. 3 plus years and still going fine, but my head shell is never in direct Sunlight.

Cheers
Mitch
Good to know. Thanks Mitch. I will continue using the fan when playing outside in the summer just to be careful. We do occasional outdoor parties, and even in the shade, we could be playing in 85 degrees.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I have the 50C combo and no reported issues yet, fingers crossed!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks Mitch. I will continue using the fan when playing outside in the summer just to be careful. We do occasional outdoor parties, and even in the shade, we could be playing in 85 degrees.
I am in SoCal and it will get very warm out here for more days than it is cool, and I have had them cooking in 90+ with no issues..

Cheers

idw357

Reaction score
I am in SoCal and it will get very warm out here for more days than it is cool, and I have had them cooking in 90+ with no issues..

Cheers
Thanks again. Very comforting. I love the tones I get from this amp. Funny thing, I’m selling the SV. 212 that I bought with it cuz it’s too heavy (and I’m getting old) and replaced it with a couple of tweed single 12 Avatar cabs with Celestion alnico 90 watt Cream speakers. It’s taken me years to get this tone!!!!

Latest posts