The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

ST035

Reaction score
Hello guys, need some words of wisdom from ya. I've had my Origin 50c for 10 months and it has worked flawlessly until the last rehearsal.

My signal chain: guitar > tuner> SD-1 > NS-2 suppressor > amp

I usually use 5w mode or 10w mode setting, no additional attenuator.

I set my amp on the verge of breakup and then I use SD-1 with level max and gain max (high gain boosting method). I've done one third of my album so far that way, no problems, no issues whatsoever.

However, during my band's last rehearsal, when I started playing solo, I switched from my bridge to my neck pickup (they are both DiMarzio HS-3) and then suddenly this squealing sound started going on. I switched to my bridge pickup and there was no squeal (since there wasn't any when I played rhythm parts) so I finished the song.

We tried to figure out what was wrong.

When SD-1 was disengaged, there was no squealing.

First, I took my singer's Music Man Sterling with humbuckers (because I assumed that maybe the wax shielding on my neck pickup has gone bad) but the squealing was maybe even louder.
Then my singer reduced the gain (I keep Gain on 10, MV on 7 because that's verge of breakup for my low output pickups) and when he reduced the Gain to 4-5 the squaling stopped.

Then, I switched the amp from 10w to 5w mode and I tried my guitar again (with SD-1 on), and there was no squealing. Then I switched it to 50w mode, just to check it, and it squealed.

A few days later I realized that I should have checked the guitar cable going into the pedals (that's the only part in the chain I'm not so sure about), because the weird thing is: NS-2 is supposed to latch onto any guitar frequencies that are "noisy" and kill them, but this squealing - NS-2 didn't detect it .

So, is this the case of possible microphonic preamp tube? What do you think? Link is below and thank you for your opinions :)

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, need some words of wisdom from ya. I've had my Origin 50c for 10 months and it has worked flawlessly until the last rehearsal.

I set my amp on the verge of breakup and then I use SD-1 with level max and gain max (high gain boosting method). I've done one third of my album so far that way, no problems, no issues whatsoever.

However, during my band's last rehearsal, when I started playing solo, I switched from my bridge to my neck pickup (they are both DiMarzio HS-3) and then suddenly this squealing sound started going on. I switched to my bridge pickup and there was no squeal (since there wasn't any when I played rhythm parts) so I finished the song.

First, I took my singer's Music Man Sterling with humbuckers (because I assumed that maybe the wax shielding on my neck pickup has gone bad) but the squealing was maybe even louder.
Then my singer reduced the gain (I keep Gain on 10, MV on 7 because that's verge of breakup for my low output pickups) and when he reduced the Gain to 4-5 the squaling stopped.

Then, I switched the amp from 10w to 5w mode and I tried my guitar again (with SD-1 on), and there was no squealing. Then I switched it to 50w mode, just to check it, and it squealed.

A few days later I realized that I should have checked the guitar cable going into the pedals (that's the only part in the chain I'm not so sure about), because the weird thing is: NS-2 is supposed to latch onto any guitar frequencies that are "noisy" and kill them, but this squealing - NS-2 didn't detect it .

So, is this the case of possible microphonic preamp tube? What do you think? Link is below and thank you for your opinions :)

Not sure what is causing this..

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well you could hook up to another amp with your gear chain and see if you get an issue. Be a quick way to eliminate your front end gear chain including cables. Shake them cables while playing.

Always good to have extra "known" good preamp/power amp tubes to change out looking for a bad one. Check your bias too. See where it's at. I'd check bias first then roll tubes.

mrp

Reaction score
Any idea if there's a pedal out there that, coupled with an Origin 50, could coax JMP-1 OD2 feel and sound out of the amp?

MXR M75 perhaps?

ST035

Reaction score
Well you could hook up to another amp with your gear chain and see if you get an issue. Be a quick way to eliminate your front end gear chain including cables. Shake them cables while playing.

Always good to have extra "known" good preamp/power amp tubes to change out looking for a bad one. Check your bias too. See where it's at. I'd check bias first then roll tubes.

Thanks, I was thinking about "rolling" the tubes, actually having it done for me by a tech.

Can you tell me, please, what is V2 tube function in Origin 50?

And, since I can only buy stuff from Thomann (don't ask)... well, I looked their preamp tubes section and they only have : JJ (rebranded as TAD), Sovtek/EHX/TungSol, and I think Shuguang rebranded as Genalex.... I know that stock power tubes in Origin are JJ.
Somewhere I read that it would be advisable to have a "robust" tube in V2 position.
As for V1, I've read that Russian 12ax7 are high gain and somewhat "thin" compared to their JJ counterparts. What's your opinion on this?

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking about "rolling" the tubes, actually having it done for me by a tech.

Can you tell me, please, what is V2 tube function in Origin 50?

And, since I can only buy stuff from Thomann (don't ask)... well, I looked their preamp tubes section and they only have : JJ (rebranded as TAD), Sovtek/EHX/TungSol, and I think Shuguang rebranded as Genalex.... I know that stock power tubes in Origin are JJ.
Somewhere I read that it would be advisable to have a "robust" tube in V2 position.
As for V1, I've read that Russian 12ax7 are high gain and somewhat "thin" compared to their JJ counterparts. What's your opinion on this?

I choose tubes based on the pups and speakers I use mostly. I find after years of rolling the right combination can be a real good thing for tone as well as feel. Also focus on blues, rock and hard rock. I don't play anything that requires high gain modern saturation.

So I'm running DiMarzio SD's in one EC1000 and Classic Core actives in the other EC1000. I'm hooked into a 412 loaded with GB's.

My ORI50H has a 12AY7 in V1. Did this to clean up some of the amps wooliness saturation wise. Made it feel more Plexi like. I like a healthy amount of articulation. V2 has a CP Mullard CV4004 12AX7 and the stock 12AX7 in the PI. I did change power tubes to JJ6CA7'S which also added articulation especially while soloing. Warm and fat with articulation.

I still get plenty of gain as I need and boosting with my Buxom Boost covers any extra oomph wanted yet still clean up completely with guitar roll off.

There are 2 versions of the CP Mullard. I much prefer the CV4004 over the cheaper long plate version. The shorter plate CV004 should be less microphonic or noisy. Quieter noise floor is something I prefer if I can manipulate it. Less hiss at the cranked levels I play is a good thing. I always play a cranked 50 watts. If I played out I'd attenuate the 50 watts not choose the lower power modes. I prefer the openness at 50 watts.:D

Last edited:

-BOOGIEMAN-

Reaction score
Great thread. I’m debating getting an Origin 50 or DSL 20 head. I’m really liking what I’m hearing with Origin 50. I had one of the new Jet City Custom C2X heads built this summer that I’m running through a cheap Marshall 412 cab that I put WGS Retro 30’s and Reaper HP’s in. It sounds great, but I’ve been wanting to pick up an old school style Marshall sounding head to get that distinct Marshall sound that I crave…

steveb63

Reaction score
Great thread. I’m debating getting an Origin 50 or DSL 20 head. I’m really liking what I’m hearing with Origin 50. I had one of the new Jet City Custom C2X heads built this summer that I’m running through a cheap Marshall 412 cab that I put WGS Retro 30’s and Reaper HP’s in. It sounds great, but I’ve been wanting to pick up an old school style Marshall sounding head to get that distinct Marshall sound that I crave…
I've used my 20H with a cab with two Reapers.

Really great sounding combination, to my ears at least.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Low buzz question.

My O-50 combo is making a low volume buzz with some guitars, none with others. Humbuckers and single coils. It's like mains buzz but very low. Multiple guitars, different cables, direct to the input socket or through the pedal board, same thing.

It's not deafening by any means, but like that little squeak or rattle inside the car dashboard, bleeding annoying.

Is this a "yeah they all do that" thing, a mains supply issue, or a common internal fault?

FWIW I fitted new tubes a year ago but haven't biased them yet - if I get 2 hours a week I'm lucky.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Whenever this stuff starts, "Strip the bitch" and start over.
More technically said, if your amp starts acting funny, remove all except guitar and cable, and speaker.
No loop stuff. Isolate the amp and determine if that is the problem first.

I have had pedals work good one day and then for some readon a different day, they squeal or make unwanted noise.

Good luck

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Low buzz question.

My O-50 combo is making a low volume buzz with some guitars, none with others. Humbuckers and single coils. It's like mains buzz but very low. Multiple guitars, different cables, direct to the input socket or through the pedal board, same thing.

It's not deafening by any means, but like that little squeak or rattle inside the car dashboard, bleeding annoying.

Is this a "yeah they all do that" thing, a mains supply issue, or a common internal fault?

FWIW I fitted new tubes a year ago but haven't biased them yet - if I get 2 hours a week I'm lucky.
Mine does not buzz or rattle at all. I do have tube shields over the pre-amp tubes and I installed spring retainers on the power tubes.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Myself and at least one other have been having issues with humming guitars recently. Myself it's been with my Epi LP and Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers.

It's a low volume buzz that goes away when you touch anything metallic.

We've checked all the grounds, shielded cavities,, even added extra grounds, replaced cables, moved amps, disconnected pedalboards and anything else electrical in rooms, you name it we've tried it.

Last night my crack team of scientists

VMX-Beaker&Bunsen.jpg

stumbled upon two probable causes.

The issue is the human not being grounded him her on non binary pronoun self and acting as an antenna or just producing static.

We discovered / proved this by simply holding the bare end of a wire and touching to other to the already proven to be grounded bridge. The hum goes away.

Possible cause in my home is that we've just had the carpets cleaned, and whatever chemicals used have left the carpet non conducting, so the human isn't grounded.

Another cause could be Spring being upon us and a general drop in humidity.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Someone on another forum suggested shielding the control switch cavity - which I can't see much point in given the Switchcraft switches include a ground connection - but also the wires between the switch and the main control cavity. These are probably about a foot long, times three (four if you include the ground), so they could be quite effective antennae.

I've bought some braided copper sheathing on Amazon, $21 for a 10 foot length, and I'm going to give it a go.

Will report back when I have.

Latest posts