The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

Angry Possum

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yes, it is 100% stock. Even the tubes are stock.

I'll probably try new tubes soon, but I don't think I'll change the speaker (good speakers are very expensive here). As for the C19 mod, it sounds interesting, maybe I'll try someday, but for now I think it's fine like it is, I just roll off the tone knob of the guitar a little bit.

Just going over this huge thread, as I just purchased a DSL40 from GC, picking it up tomrw.

Exactly with respect to tone, watch this.

Bownse

Reaction score
Anyone have a concise explaination of the differences between the DSL40c and their MG50DSX (other than "10")?

ledvedder

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with the screw sizes for the 4 speaker mount screws, and also the screw size for the cabinet back screws?

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I joined this forum because of this amp. I almost feel like I stole this...bought it for $250 and it is in stock & mint condition except for a couple of creases in the owners manual.

It's my first proper Marshall after 33(?) years of playing. My other current amps are a Rivera Jake Studio Combo, Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50, Denver Amp works Bobcat, and Fender SuperChamp XD.

I've had it for a couple of weeks now and like others was surprised by the clean channel. Not impressed with the reverb at all...in fact it sucks, IMHO. I put a Digitech Polaris set to plate in the loop and it's instant early 80's LA. My HOF mini also yields good results. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to keep it or flip it, but for what I paid I have plenty of time to think it over for a long time. So far I am pretty darn pleased with it! Here's a pic :

marshall.jpg

Loving this thread - lots of good info - and WOW!!! 530 pages! I'm on page 6 so far LOL.

Last edited:

suzook

Reaction score
I joined this forum because of this amp. I almost feel like I stole this...bought it for $250 and it is in stock & mint condition except for a couple of creases in the owners manual.

It's my first proper Marshall after 34/35(?) years of playing. My other current amps are a Rivera Jake Studio Combo, Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50, Denver Amp works Bobcat, and Fender SuperChamp XD.

I've had it for a couple of weeks now and like others was surprised by the clean channel. Not impressed with the reverb at all...in fact it sucks, IMHO. I put a Digitech Polaris set to plate in the loop and it's instant early 80's LA. My HOF mini also yields good results. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to keep it or flip it, but for what I paid I have plenty of time to think it over for a long time. So far I am pretty darn pleased with it! Here's a pic :

View attachment 88693

Loving this thread - lots of good info - and WOW!!! 530 pages! I'm on page 6 so far LOL.
That's a great deal. I got the same amp with a vintage 30 thrown in it for $300. It really is a great amp, and yeah the reverb does blow. No distortion pedals necessary though with this thing. Sounds just like 80's metal. I would check your bias, make sure its set up proper. Very easy to do.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

It's my first proper Marshall after 33(?) years of playing. My other current amps are a Rivera Jake Studio Combo, Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50, Denver Amp works Bobcat, and Fender SuperChamp XD.

View attachment 88693

Nice score brother, congratulations on a fine amp !!
Cheers
Mitch

ledvedder

Reaction score
I had an old issue arise last night at band rehearsal. It's something that happened a year or so back, but I thought had been resolved by swapping a new 1/4" cable for channel switching. I use an HX Effects and control the DSL channel switching via snapshots with a standard 1/4" cable. When switching from red to green, the light on the front panel would change, but the amp stayed on the red channel. This hasn't happened in over a year, and started happening about an hour into rehearsal last night. Any ideas?

Forp

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new here. I've been reading for 9 month now . I need your help to clear something for me. My dsl40c sounds like i want but if i play with crunch gain on 10 volume as you like (4 or 5 for me) and reverb above 6(most noticible on 10) the trail of the reverb is clipping it got distortion in it .With some of the sharp notes you can ear it well, it sonds almost like a bad connection. I would like you to try it on yours please. I suspect it may be a design flaw because this whole section is made differently in the dsl40cr and i dont want to get into endless trading of bad unit with the store for warranty, like some of you guys.

Latest posts