The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

KraftyBob

Reaction score
DSL40C Static/Buzzing when playing low notes

Lately I've been noticing a static or buzzing on my amp when I play low notes (5th/6th string). I don't notice it on the clean channel although I haven't had a chance to turn it up that loud. The recording below is from the crunch channel in standard tuning. It's really noticeable near the end. I can hear it on the red channel if I turn the gain way down as I believe the higher gain masks the sound. The sound seems like it's coming from the speaker itself and not a vibration in the cabinet.

What I've checked so far - nothing made a difference:
  • Tried different guitars plugged straight into the amp
  • Tried the same guitars on my other amp (no noise)
  • Changed cables
  • Swapped the speaker from my other amp
  • Tightened all the screws
  • Removed the back panel to see if that was vibrating
  • Changed the preamp tubes one at a time (I don't have spare power tubes so those were not changed)

Thanks.

Bruno60

Reaction score
Hi People,
After putting the 70/80 in place (finally it fits the DNA of this amp), I disconnected the C19, but the sound was too flat and nice IMO. I sold it and I found the aggressiveness of my DSL! I also put 4 JJ ecc083s and JJ EL 34 II (these tubes are between the el34 and the el34 L). I think it is not necessary to change too much on this amp, just roam the speaker, and use the EQ. You have to use this amp for what it is: a brute who hits hard!
:flex:

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Reaction score
I've tried different cables with no change. My tubes should be here today although I may not get around to rolling new ones until closer to the weekend. I need to get groceries and I might make a trip tomorrow for what seems to be a very sweet 1960b cab for $300. I'm still debating that purchase. On the one hand I don't NEED it, but I suspect I would really, really enjoy it. I'll probably end up passing on it and semi-regretting that decision.

KraftyBob

Reaction score

Lately I've been noticing a static or buzzing on my amp when I play low notes (5th/6th string). I don't notice it on the clean channel although I haven't had a chance to turn it up that loud. The recording below is from the crunch channel in standard tuning. It's really noticeable near the end. I can hear it on the red channel if I turn the gain way down as I believe the higher gain masks the sound. The sound seems like it's coming from the speaker itself and not a vibration in the cabinet.

What I've checked so far - nothing made a difference:
  • Tried different guitars plugged straight into the amp
  • Tried the same guitars on my other amp (no noise)
  • Changed cables
  • Swapped the speaker from my other amp
  • Tightened all the screws
  • Removed the back panel to see if that was vibrating
  • Changed the preamp tubes one at a time (I don't have spare power tubes so those were not changed)

Thanks.

UPDATE:
I talked to Sweetwater Tech support today. Ruled out the power tubes as the buzzing is not there when I plug my guitar into the Effects Loop return (I should have thought to check that myself). The issue is likely in the preamp and since I've swapped all the preamp tubes and it didn't fix it they are sending me a replacement.

I certainly appreciate that they are doing this but this is the second DSL40C I've had problems with in two months. The first one the reverb didn't work at all. I know these are notorious for having a weak reverb but this was zero reverb DOA. Now the buzzing sound.

I'm starting to lose faith in this model. Hopefully the third time is a charm with this one as I won't do this a 4th time. This is rather disappointing as I've had other Marshall's and never had this much trouble.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
With these cheap built amps sometimes you get a dud or two so hang in there Buddy once you get a good one you may be pleased....good luck

Carlo

Reaction score
Hi guys,
been a while now so i thought i share a recording with my DSL played on my personal sweetspot..
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aknr2MVyBoOP1GLZObVYQWHio9oD
hope this link works. Its a once only situation because it was so f.....g loud that our ears hurt afterwards. It was recorded in our rehearsal location which is in the basement of my mates house and has a very low cladded ceiling and the band-members had to adapt to my volume level. As you hear, our drummer beats the shit out of his drumkit. DSL is on L1, no pedals except Wha, this was the one with the Texas Heat, rest is stock.
Meanwhile this Amp is sold and i got myself an Orange Crush CR120 Head which i play through my 2x12 closed cab with the celestion 70/80 s which came out both dsl's. The DSL simply didnt work for rehearsal. The other one with the creamback im hurling around to our gigs.
Recording is done by a Tascam DR05

Bruno60

Reaction score
Hello,
Can you tell what is the type of bias on the dsl40?
- Class A Fixed Bias
- Class AB Fixed Bias
- Cathode Bias
Thanks !

ken361

Reaction score
I think i have to revisit these fender heavy picks again! the cleans really come out better then the .70 tortex pick which I find a little dull now. Crunch and red 1 seems better the highs really come out more and a nice low end. Amazing what a pick can do. I know for sure Angus Young was using these my friend has one that he threw out at him

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Class...=1512575667&sr=8-2&keywords=fender+heavy+pick

Bownse

Reaction score

Lately I've been noticing a static or buzzing on my amp when I play low notes (5th/6th string).

I had a hum that was resolved by moving all my cables farther from my power strip. I have a DIY pedal board with a power strip mounted for easier mobility. By moving my upper row of pedals (and cords) down (away from the power strip) the hum went away completely. 3"-6" max.

Take away? Try keeping even the best AC adapter power, cables and pedals away from unshielded power strips.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
check the bias at all? cant really tell anything from the sound clip

When I swapped the preamp tubes I biased it at 38 (was 41). I also tapped the preamp tubes with a chopstick and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary so that all looks good.

In response to Brownse: It's not an electrical hum. Also, I keep all my guitar cables away from power cables/power strip as far as possible. Aside from the OD hiss I don't have any complaints about that type of noise. The buzzing/static I'm getting is after you strike a chord/note on typically the A or low E strings and as is starts to fade out the buzzing comes in.

The new amp is coming today - they sent it next day! I'll test if first and hoping/assuming all is good, swap in my new preamp tubes and then return the old amp.

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
Funny how Eurotubes recommends 42 to 45 millivolts thats crazy so they can sell more tubes? I wrote them to see what he says about that :)

KraftyBob

Reaction score
When I swapped the preamp tubes I biased it at 38 (was 41). I also tapped the preamp tubes with a chopstick and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary so that all looks good.

In response to Brownse: It's not an electrical hum. Also, I keep all my guitar cables away from power cables/power strip as far as possible. Aside from the OD hiss I don't have any complaints about that type of noise. The buzzing/static I'm getting is after you strike a chord/note on typically the A or low E strings and as is starts to fade out the buzzing comes in.

The new amp is coming today - they sent it next day! I'll test if first and hoping/assuming all is good, swap in my new preamp tubes and then return the old amp.

Got the new amp and so far so good. Tested it with the stock tunes first and a no more static/buzzing. The swapped the stock tubes for the Mesa and JJ’s I bought and still no buzzing. Old amp is already boxed up and ready to go back.

ken361

Reaction score
Might have a bite on a creamback on a trade today waiting to hear back, hoping for a more vintage tones. Might be worse then the ET65 ?

ken361

Reaction score
getting the creamback later:) could do a recording later at bedroom levels test loud sat. Not sure its broken in though