The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

Michaeld13

Reaction score
Well my amp went silent just now... well almost- if I turn the volume up to 8+ I can her sound and a very distorted one at that on the clean channel- I assume I have a tube that went bad- I have the originals still in there... I looked at the fuses and they looked fine- I assume if they were bad it would not turn or hear sound... Soooo I'm going tube shopping. I tried to do a search for "Marty Strat" - I know he's been referenced a lot here for a tube source. Does he have a website? Open to recommendations all! FWIW I only use the clean channel and get my distortion from my pedals- mainly beacuse I cannot turn up loud at home- but was just getting ready to bring it to my shop where I just bought a 4x12 Marshall cab and was going to try out the gain channels loud- and now this happens... Would happen eventually so not a big deal- but I'd like to hear some suggestions if you don't mind. I have been busy and a little out of the loop/thread for several months. Thanks in advance all!! From what I remember when I played the gain channels they were pretty hissy with the stock setup I had- if that makes any difference. Using pedals on clean stays very quiet but still delivers a great distorted sound.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Stagecraft sent me pictures of the head cab I ordered it took a while but it looks pretty dam good, i should have it by Friday but unfortunately I will sell be selling it since I dont have the amp any more. Check out there work!

full

full

full

Last edited:

Michaeld13

Reaction score
I actually compiled quite a lot of screen shots while going through this thread for future refernce- so in regards to my post above- I'll share what tube info I saved and might be helpful in one spot:
"lowered hiss - jjecc83 in v3 - big improvement" - dizzyg12
"new power tubes - WOW huge change in sound JJ 6ca7's" - roger tyria
"new ruby ac7hg+ damn!! sounds amazing- have not touched my overdrive pedals since that tube went in- amazing growl- whole new amp - v2-vj have jj's, jjel34's" - coronado
"ac7+ back in v1 and ac5+ in v2- quiet noise floor- going to keep it this way- coronado don;t get an RFT use the ac7+ and ac5+ for v1 and v2" solarburn
"for v3 and v4= ruby 7025ss hg, for v1 and v2 (same as above from solarb), jj/ruby 34l's ruby 34l-cz el24/kt77/6ca7" - solarburn
"dougs tubes, valve queen, tube store - doug's my first stop" solarburn
"mullard reissue to v2- didn;t notice much of a change- may have tames a touch of fizz- added a tad7025wa to v3- wow huge difference- smoothed out fizz, quited micophonics, added warmth, sustain" unknown
"ruby ac7hg+ same as preferred series or tad 7025s" solarburn
"tad el34b-str with a "3" on the little tad stickers - best sounding amp i've ever owned - tried to tell you tads were awesome" usapatriot / micky
"i added eh preamp tubes 12ax7eh in v2 and v3 12at7eh in v4 - holy batsnot! think i struck gold" usapatriot
"don't bother with balanced pi tube- standard sounds better- marty's advice= just did v1 and v2 and use what sounds best of extra v1/v2 to replace v4" woods
"dougs preamp tube mix eurotube jj34l's not el34's" unknown
"tad el34 stb tubes all difference in the world and much more pronounced reverb" micky
"mullard ri el34's made everything sound better including reverb- switched from tad str tubes" jeffb
"tube store brand 7025 12ax7 sound great- tried many keep coming back to these- lower noise floor, less compressed" marshalldog
"sylvania longplates in all of my marshalls- sweet fat tone guaranteed" jlinde1973
"rft in v2 is the ticket- don;t put in v3 - burnt 2 real quick" steellucky
"v1 mullard cv4004/12ax7, v2 v3 svetlana 12ax7, v4 jjecc83mg, svetlana el34" bandit panda
"no need for added option when buying 12ax7 ac7hg+" solarburn
"tung sols burn up in the v3- philips 7025 kick ass!" dogs of doom
" dsl has tons of gain- make it sound a little more old school try an jan phillips 5751 in V1- has about 70% of the output of a std 12ax7- you'll still have tons of gain- tames some fizz" heritage softail

Wow!! that's what I had... hope it helps- anyone want to vote on the above for me? (my other note collections from this thread are speakers, bias, and pedals :))

SoCal Flood

Reaction score
And what are you doing in Ultra Gain 2 playing jazz & classic rock ?
BP

Thanks for the insights! Good point about Gain 2... i primarily play jazz and classic rock, but do enjoy all genres, including hard stuff sometimes, but the latter is not my priority. I'm a novice player btw, so not like I can do any of these tones much justice at the moment. But i'm still trying to get set up properly in hopes that one day I can fully express myself through music :fingersx:

rlowe

Reaction score
i dont find too much treble just bias it at 32, some amps were at like 52! let the tubes break in for a few weeks also. it was bright when new and stock bias
I biased the amp to 34.5 giving it a try and it sounded cleaner, more natural guitar sounding, a keeper for now!

rlowe

Reaction score
Well my amp went silent just now... well almost- if I turn the volume up to 8+ I can her sound and a very distorted one at that on the clean channel- I assume I have a tube that went bad- I have the originals still in there... I looked at the fuses and they looked fine- I assume if they were bad it would not turn or hear sound... Soooo I'm going tube shopping. I tried to do a search for "Marty Strat" - I know he's been referenced a lot here for a tube source. Does he have a website? Open to recommendations all! FWIW I only use the clean channel and get my distortion from my pedals- mainly beacuse I cannot turn up loud at home- but was just getting ready to bring it to my shop where I just bought a 4x12 Marshall cab and was going to try out the gain channels loud- and now this happens... Would happen eventually so not a big deal- but I'd like to hear some suggestions if you don't mind. I have been busy and a little out of the loop/thread for several months. Thanks in advance all!! From what I remember when I played the gain channels they were pretty hissy with the stock setup I had- if that makes any difference. Using pedals on clean stays very quiet but still delivers a great distorted sound.
Probably a bad tube but, check all connections and when changing out tubes use Deoxit D5 or a similar Deoxit product to clean sockets as sockets can sometimes be dowty (dirty). Good stuff mon!

J Saw

Reaction score
Stagecraft sent me pictures of the head cab I ordered it took a while but it looks pretty dam good, i should have it by Friday but unfortunately I will sell be selling it since I dont have the amp any more. Check out there work!

That looks like fine work they do. Do you have to drill your own mounting holes, or are they under the tolex?

Michaeld13

Reaction score
Well now I'm stumped. I forgot that I had some tubes from my old Mesa around- brand new tubes- I replaced each one one by one with a new one- and the amp did not come back- same exact issue- no sound. If I hit the strings with the volume on 10 I hear a cracking/broken up/distorted sound. Any ideas? I thought for sure it was going to be tube... as a side the EL34's in my amp were Tube Amp Doctors (Marshall logo on them) with a "3" on them... I assume those are "TADS" and should be put back in...

ken361

Reaction score
doesnt matter what el34s, rubys are the same tubes actually. Got them through GC 35.00 im sure that may be your issue

Michaeld13

Reaction score
Well now I'm stumped. I forgot that I had some tubes from my old Mesa around- brand new tubes- I replaced each one one by one with a new one- and the amp did not come back- same exact issue- no sound. If I hit the strings with the volume on 10 I hear a cracking/broken up/distorted sound. Any ideas? I thought for sure it was going to be tube... as a side the EL34's in my amp were Tube Amp Doctors (Marshall logo on them) with a "3" on them... I assume those are "TADS" and should be put back in...
I also just checked the fuses (3 of them that I saw) and they all passed a current thought the multimeter and looked fine.

Michaeld13

Reaction score
doesnt matter what el34s, rubys are the same tubes actually. Got them through GC 35.00 im sure that may be your issue
I replaced those as well- I had some el34 "mesa boogie" tubes that I put in there- no changes :-(

Michaeld13

Reaction score
GOT IT! The Pentode / Triode swich somehow became pressed inbetween both settings- it was neither left or right- just centered- clicked it over into position and glorious sound has returned!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
GOT IT! The Pentode / Triode swich somehow became pressed inbetween both settings- it was neither left or right- just centered- clicked it over into position and glorious sound has returned!
Please make sure you put the amp on Standby before switching the Pentode/Triode switch.