The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

rlowe

Reaction score
Just got thru firing up the Dsl5c played with speaker 1 x G10R-30 16Ω 10” stock. I haven't played but maybe two x open w/stock speaker since purchased in Oct. 2016, mostly used as a night practice amp with headphones. The Valves used are
3 x ECC83 +
1 x 12BH7 (ECC99) I am using a gold pin for the ECC99. This amp surprises me as far as decent quality sound, volume and Marshall tone. I was considering replacing the stock speaker with a handy broke-in 70/80 to see how it sounds, but as good as it does sound it is of course still not as full or rich as the Dsl40c. Night cap. :iough:
Just as a comment on Preamp tubes used w/the Dsl5c. The Dsl5c new came with 1x red lettering preamp tube that is like the ones that come with the Dsl40c. 2x the grey/black/white preamp tubes which are harsh tubes. I replaced the 2 grey/black/whites with the old stock preamp tubes that came stock with my Dsl40c. On the V-nam assembly line I envision an assortment box of different preamp tubes, probably two, maybe three they use. Just sayin' mixed in my amp, and the grey/black/whites are generally sent as replacements from Marshall being a cheaper, and cost saving tube which in turn saves them a little money in the long run. Maybe if Marshall would buy JJ's and stamp Marshall on them, that would be a better tube!

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Just as a comment on Preamp tubes used w/the Dsl5c. The Dsl5c new came with 1x red lettering preamp tube that is like the ones that come with the Dsl40c. 2x the grey/black/white preamp tubes which are harsh tubes. I replaced the 2 grey/black/whites with the old stock preamp tubes that came stock with my Dsl40c. On the V-nam assembly line I envision an assortment box of different preamp tubes, probably two, maybe three they use. Just sayin' mixed in my amp, and the grey/black/whites are generally sent as replacements from Marshall being a cheaper, and cost saving tube which in turn saves them a little money in the long run. Maybe if Marshall would buy JJ's and stamp Marshall on them, that would be a better tube!

The 4 Preamp tubes that came with my DSL40 are all the same Marshall 90067 which are JJ tubes, these JJ's have a little more bite to them over the standard JJ ECC83S.

rlowe

Reaction score
The 4 Preamp tubes that came with my DSL40 are all the same Marshall 90067 which are JJ tubes, these JJ's have a little more bite to them over the standard JJ ECC83S.
If Marshall would issue those special preamp tubes as replacements, that would be nice. I am past the free replacement point, so I stick with what preamp tubes I can find. Yes, those stock preamp tubes do have a bit more bite to them. Earlier in the thread someone stated these were JJ's with a tin plate special run.

Last edited:

Carlo

Reaction score
I have 2 Gibsons, Les paul studio with 490r and 498t PU's. The standard has Burstbucker Pros PU's, and both guitar's sound great with the amp. It could be any number of things, pickup height too close, preamp tubes, power tubes. Many tru-bypass pedals without buffer, long cable runs can steal your higher frequency's thru capacitance. The Gibson Les paul is a naturally darker sounding guitar, but with setup and adjustments on amp and pedal board you should get a good sound. Another thing you can try is a MXR 10 band EQ, or any EQ pedal for that matter!

Carlo

Reaction score
Someting went wrong with this quote, anyway, i took my Les Paul to a Professional and had him set it up properly, biggest issue was indeed the pickup height, a major improvement all is well.
In the mean time i changed the speaker in my other Dsl40 for a Texas Heat, another major improvement. Now i have two stock speakers laying around, from which i plan to build a 2x12 cab. My question is, should i leave the back ( partly) open or completely closed, what would be better for these Celestions 70/80s?
Thanks
Carlo

ken361

Reaction score
Im putting the 70/80 back in and see how it is since my amps broken in and biased correctly cool!, its pretty close to a greenback. The WGS speakers are darker and have more bass, I did a lot of listening to a lot of comparisons of speakers and the 70/80's hold up and even sound better then some. With having that vintage tones.

Everyone and my self once they hear a warmer speaker its like its better but sometimes in reality its masking the true tones! Jim B. stock amp sounded just great! Most people pull the speaker way before its even broken in, it takes like 120 hrs or so based on a company that breaks in speakers. I might hate it but will see :)

ken361

Reaction score
prb
Someting went wrong with this quote, anyway, i took my Les Paul to a Professional and had him set it up properly, biggest issue was indeed the pickup height, a major improvement all is well.
In the mean time i changed the speaker in my other Dsl40 for a Texas Heat, another major improvement. Now i have two stock speakers laying around, from which i plan to build a 2x12 cab. My question is, should i leave the back ( partly) open or completely closed, what would be better for these Celestions 70/80s?
Thanks
Carlo
closed back! everyyyy amp I get I re adjust my pickups playing loud and dialing in the sweet spot! Most humbuckers bridge I have it set at 1/8th bass side and 1/16 treble side and raise the poles pieces to the radius of the bridge about 2 turns up towards at the 3rd and 4 th string and a little lower on 2nd and 5th string

Carlo

Reaction score
Well, i played this Amp for about 100 hours pretty loud at our practice location, i assume the stock speaker was been broken in by now...Still not entirely happy with its sound. The Texas Heat gives it that little extra for my taste. Then again, cant argue about sound. By the way, i stumbled over a new Epi SG Pro which was a Send back (you call it that?) in my Guitar Store, i couldnt resist (GAS-attack) and took it home. What a great guitar for that price, coil tapping gives it a enormous sound variation. These new Alnico HBs are great.
thanks for your advice on my future cab

rlowe

Reaction score
Thanks
Carlo
The Celestion 70/80's sound good in a closed back cab. I have a Mx112 ext. cab w/single Celestion 70/80 stock, I use the two 8ohm jacks on back of Dsl40c, one to 40c speaker, one to ext. cab.

ken361

Reaction score
I just installed the 70/80 playing at bedroom level wow it sounds warm! but good. I was expecting bright and harsh some like it was stock but that bias was at 39/41 I think. I had the everything at 5 its sounds very similar to the ET65 with my EVH guitar bias at 30ma from my tech.

The mids were not bright but its sounds a little more ballsy with some punch in there. I hope it opens up more with tone it sounds like its broken in already lol seriously.

Amps do break in with circuits, tubes,transformers,caps

Last edited:

DaneSN2017

Reaction score
Index to this thread here:

Side Handle Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread
Gut Shot Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread
C19 Cap Mod Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread
ClassicTone OT Replacement: http://www.marshallforum.com/index....nformation-thread.53780/page-146#post-1232202

Feel free to post your mods & other DSL40c related content here.
This thread is for others to reference when looking for vital info.

Many of these posts should be relavent to the DSL100h as well as the DSL15, as all the newer DSL amps now share many common features & components. For example, the DSL100h uses the same chassis and internal board and components of the DSL40c, except it has 2 more output tubes as well as the extra related components.

I will start with a couple of photos in this thread, and add more photos in other posts as I don't want each post to be too 'pic-heavy'. If anyone has any requests for photos of specific components or areas of the 40c please let me know and I will shoot them next time I pull the chassis from the case.

I would also like to link all the other DSL40c threads here, as they contain some great posts as well as a lot of good information. Feel free to add whatever you want as long as it is related.

First I would like to state that I am NOT a great guitar player, and I WON'T be posting any clips. Although I used to play in a cover band back in the late '70s, my skill has not kept up with the times. Others are much more talented here and I am sure there will be a few to offer some demos. What I WILL post here is some relavent info, and a bunch of photos. So here goes.

The DSL40c is Marshalls newest DSL, along with the DSL100h head version and the DSL15h and DSL15c. These amps are made in Vietnam. Before you start to poo-poo this new line for being made overseas, rest assured these are built to Marshalls specifications. In my opinion, they are made as well, if not better than anything made in the UK or even in the USA. The boards inside appear to be wave-soldered hi-quality PC boards, and the components are well-spaced and symmetric.

The case appears to be HDF, not MDF. It seems much tougher and harder than MDF, although it is still not birch ply. Personally I don't think it matters much, I have seen ply crushed as easily as anything else, but the true test will be over time. I got a good look when I cut the sides of the case open for some new handles.

Yes, I have already drilled and cut the case, one of the first mods so far. Many of you wil notice this amp doesn't have any side handles, and because I am getting a bit older (and a bit wiser as well) I felt I needed to add some decent metal handles. It will allow for two people to carry the amp as well as allow easier placing of the amp on top of another cab. With the speaker replacement, this amp now weighs 55 pounds, and I feel that is a bit much for the top handle alone.

Here is a photo of the installed handles:
DSCN4176-L.jpg

You need to measure VERY carefully, as one might have a tendency to want to mount the handles high, near the top. The particular metal handles I uses have a bit of depth to them, I mounted them so the PT and OT clear them by about 1/4 inch. I can provide dimensions if anyone needs them.

Gut shots and other info to follow...

DaneSN2017

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my dsl40c momentarily cuts out during play? I can;t seem to pinpoint any patterns as to when this happens but its been happening more frequently lately and I would love to address the problem...Its on the regular distortion channel and is usually turned up to about 6 on volume and 6 on gain...

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I just installed the 70/80 playing at bedroom level wow it sounds warm! but good. I was expecting bright and harsh some like it was stock but that bias was at 39/41 I think. I had the everything at 5 its sounds very similar to the ET65 with my EVH guitar bias at 30ma from my tech.

The mids were not bright but its sounds a little more ballsy with some punch in there. I hope it opens up more with tone it sounds like its broken in already lol seriously.

It will definitely get better with time and VOLUME :shred2: I know mine sounds a lot better and no where near as harsh the more I use it, I will be trying out the Neo Creamback tomorrow I've been real curious about that one.

Bownse

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my dsl40c momentarily cuts out during play? I can;t seem to pinpoint any patterns as to when this happens but its been happening more frequently lately and I would love to address the problem...Its on the regular distortion channel and is usually turned up to about 6 on volume and 6 on gain...

If it's on the increase it could be a tube. Intermittant failure because of vibration is the bane of combo tube amps.

whitecloud

Reaction score

My seventy/80 is in a box put away and a friend was supposed to send me His(taken from a Marshall 1x12 when he got his ET-65) and I am just one speaker short of throwing those speakers in a closed back 4x12. It will be x/y with some Private Jacks. I imagine I won't be putting a mic on the 70/80's. Happy for you but I played the stock speaker long enough to know I hate it. I would of kept the WSG Retro30 in the DSL but that speaker works so well with my Orange and VHT amps going into a 1x12 cab. So for now breaking in a WSG Veteran 30 so for me it was all a matter of how I set the controls on the amp with either Warehouse speaker. So yeah a big fan and disagree about them "masking the tone" And if that were the case one could argue the 70/80 adds something as well. And from what I gather from most comments, not in a flattering way. Seems like if you want to go Celestion a V type or Vintage 30 would be the way to go.