The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Dirtydeeds25

Dirtydeeds25 New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone I didn't think a bad tube could be so dramatic. I tap tested the tubes and it seems that 1st Power tube and the V4 preamp are the culprits as they're the ones crackling.

2. Snow and Steel

Snow and Steel Active Member

I've got the original tubes that came out of my Marshall DSL100h. They have no time on them - I changed them out the day I got the amp and I bought the amp new. That would give you 4 pre-amp tubes, and 2 matched sets of power tubes. I'm not using them so I could sell them to you very reasonable. Might save you a few bucks from buying new tubes, or worse, buying new tubes and not liking the tone change.

Then again, a new set of tubes with recommendations form someone like "Doug's tubes" is often a safe bet, if you you do want to improve the tone and know what you are trying to change.

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Had a good laugh at myself.

Was playing along and all of a sudden the amp went silent. I'm going straight in so I'm checking cable in jack, no sound with guitar volume, turned amp on and off etc.

Then I realized I had hit my guitar pup toggle to middle position. Well I had neck volume pot off. Since it was off the middle position made no sound.

I didn't feel hitting the toggle so I thought the amp dumped and it made no sound going out. Too funny and a happy ending.LOL

ken361 likes this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

What guitar were you using? Mid position on a Paul turns neck & bridge on and it would be completely uncharacteristic of you to have the volume on the bridge pick up turned off !!

5. solarburnDSL50

My ESP EC1000. Have to have a bit of the neck pup volume on to get sound from it. Zeroed nothing.

6. Bownse

Bownse Well-Known Member

Does one chopstick fight the other and then have interventions from first the egg roll then the main course until eventually both of those leave and the chopstick conflict resolves itself?

7. Dirtydeeds25

Dirtydeeds25 New Member

I might take you up on that offer if I decide to get the stock again!

8. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

The best thing about his offer? Done. Dirt. Cheep. :yesway:

this joke is so bad, i don't know if i can show my face in this thread again.

Dirtydeeds25 likes this.
  9. solarburnDSL50

10. 5150

5150 New Member

New member here :) I've got a DSL40CST coming from Sweetwater, should be here Tuesday. Holy crap, this waiting B.S. is agonizing :eek:

Anyhoo, already to page 170 of this monster thread :) I'm gonna run mine stock (well, aside from the pre-installed Creamback) for the time being. I played one at my local GC and instantly fell in love. I've been chasing the Marshall sound for so long, it didn't even occur to me - until I actually played one - to just BUY a freaking Marshall! Lol!!

My current setup - a pedalboard based around the MXR 5150 Overdrive (and obligatory EVH Phase & Flanger, chorus delay, boost) through a Fender Super Champ X2 clean channel - gets me about 80% to the sound I'm looking for. What it's missing is the TOUCH dynamics and the FEEL of those tubes!! I'll probably live on the L1 and L2 side, and just run my entire pedalboard in the effects loop.

Glad I found this forum. There's TONS of useful info here. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences, it's been super helpful!

Cheers!

5150 (Joel)

11. Snow and Steel

Snow and Steel Active Member

With the creamback already in it, why change it until you decide you need something different? its pretty well good to go "as-is". Comes stock with Tube Amp Doctor tubes, which are generally good tubes. Sure, you can get better if you want to experiment with things, or dive into NOS tubes - but the stock tubes are very good.

I DO recommend checking and changing the bias though - lower it to something more sane, like 36 per side. out fo the factory arrived.... well, much higher than that lets say.

12. 5150

5150 New Member

Yeah, I'm not planning on changing anything at all on this - except perhaps bias if it's crazy hot/cold. I knew right away that I loved the Ultra channel from the three hours I demo'd one at GC (with my own guitar), but chose The Sweetwater Creamback upgrade from all the good reviews the Creamback got over the stock Seventy/80.

13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Is that a '59 Broom you're playing there?

5150 likes this.
  14. 5150

5150 New Member

Lol! It's actually not me (it's a young EVH), but yeah, I'd say it's probably a '58 or '59... ;)

BanditPanda likes this.
  15. Speegman

Speegman Member

Just got my DSL40C with Creamback speaker. I am playing at 20 watts all channels. The general EQ settings seem to work fine but I'm having a hard time noticing any tone changes when I tweak the Presence or Resonance knobs. Increases in the Resonance knob increase the "hum" from the amp and there is a slight change in brightness but it's so subtle I can't tell if it's real or my imagination. Is this normal? I haven't been able to try this at higher volumes yet. The clean tone is great as well as the OD channel.

16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Shouldnt hum might be a preamp tube, the presence you should notice and well as the resonance not huge but its there. if the bias it miss matches one side way higher it can cause a hum or bad power tube.

17. Speegman

Speegman Member

Thanks - should I try reseating the tubes?

18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I would move them around the preamp tubes that is. Hum at 40 watt?

19. Speegman

Speegman Member

The hum is at 20 watts. The hum isn't too bad it increases as you turn up the presence knob. So, when you say move them around are you referring to changing which socket they are in?

20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

yes