The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Michaeld13

Michaeld13 Member

I seem to be stuck with a pedal on the green clean channel. It's very quiet with heavy gain and sounds *very* good. I wanted the red channeles to be my go to for distoroted tones, but a/b'ing them- that green with my mxr superbadass distortion sounds so amazing. Mine is still all stock- so once i get aound to checking bias and maybe a simple tube swap things might change- but... I'm in no rush!

2. Carlo

Carlo Member

would raising the polepieces not adding to the muddiness? Bias is set to 36mv. Btw, this neck has not much of a radius.

3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Yes, I had that issue when I bought a Gibson SG I didn't like the pups at first and took it to my local dealer and he adjusted it for me,he said its a little trick he learned years ago. I really liked it after. The neck pickup height is very important also,up too high your bridge will get muddy also! I know I like the bridge height at 3mm or 1/8 on the LowE side and 2mm or 1/16 high E

4. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I am in England. So will call Marshall and enquire if the standby switch is harmful if used for any length of time.

Bownse likes this.
  5. Michaeld13

Michaeld13 Member

Well I said the green channel rocks with a pedal- but I switched over to the red 1- and man that sounds great too! Different but great! In both instances I'm putting a pedal in there- I have a "luther drive" which is a gearmanndude tubescreamer pedal and that works great on the red channel with medium gain on the amp- and the pdeal pushes it just right. I can do a comparison sound sample if anyone is interested.

ken361 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  6. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah I'd like to hear how it compares.

7. rlowe

rlowe Active Member

I have 2 Gibsons, Les paul studio with 490r and 498t PU's. The standard has Burstbucker Pros PU's, and both guitar's sound great with the amp. It could be any number of things, pickup height too close, preamp tubes, power tubes. Many tru-bypass pedals without buffer, long cable runs can steal your higher frequency's thru capacitance. The Gibson Les paul is a naturally darker sounding guitar, but with setup and adjustments on amp and pedal board you should get a good sound. Another thing you can try is a MXR 10 band EQ, or any EQ pedal for that matter!

ken361 likes this.
  8. Carlo

Carlo Member

Thanks guys, will look at the pickup heights and take it from there, got e set of new tubes lying around, so that would be the next step, although the Strat sounds awesome especially with the Seymour Duncan SSL5 in the bridge position. Thanks again.

9. riefil

riefil Active Member

Hi all. Had a day off from work today(Thanks President Lincoln) so I decided to dive into my DSL40C. First things first...biasing. I've got to say it was easier then I thought. The hardest part was getting the chassis out. The transformers were hitting the "side rail" where the back panel is screwed on. The right side was already at 38.4 but the left was at 40.7. The one thing I didn't realize was that as you adjusted one side, the other would fluctuate. So after a little back and forth, I finally got them both at 38ish. Plugged it in and it sounded very nice. I figured while I had the back off I'd try a couple of different preamp tubes I had tucked away. I settled on Ruby Tubes 12ax7 HG in V1 and V2, kept the Marshall in V3 and went with a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in V4. The result was subtle but I felt that there is a little more clarity on Green Crunch. Lead 1 and 2 don't seem as harsh. Maybe a little more tame for lack of a better way to put it. Lastly, it seems that my volume has increased a bit. Could be just my imagination.
    Bottom line...I am now more confident in my tech abilities should I need to change Power Tubes and a little more satisfied with my amp.
    Thank you to all those who have posted about biasing for giving me the confidence to give it a whirl. I used all the precautions that I've read about and it definitely made it less intimidating.

Phil

10. Basilios

Basilios New Member

IMG_6772.jpg

Today was actually spent testing it out with my lp studio.

Bownse, Micky and ken361 like this.
  11. Dirtydeeds25

Dirtydeeds25 New Member

Recently my dsl40c has been acting up in the triode setting by producing a low hum that doesn't change in volume and isn't present in the pentode mode. It worked fine but the humost was annoying. Today I turned it on and experienced the most God awful noise I've ever heard from an amp .
    It worked fine last night what could it be? Nothings plugged into the amp, the fx loop is turned off, and allet the knobs are set to 0. When I plug my guitar in there's also no signal. Thanks!

12. Snow and Steel

Snow and Steel Active Member

I'd suspect a tube, and I'm guessing a early pre-amp tube - V1? That would be pretty terrifying to hear if you don't expect it!

13. Dirtydeeds25

Dirtydeeds25 New Member

I thought my amp was gonna blow up! I did find out it works if I switch it in and out of standby but it crackles if I play with any real volume

14. rlowe

rlowe Active Member

I have never heard that noise before on the DSL40c; however if you hear a snap, crackle, pop when you turn your amp on it could be a power tube, maybe preamp! Try lightly tapping all tubes with amp on using a thin wood dowel, or wooden rod. Good solid; clunky bad.

15. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Chances are it is a power tube.
    Put in your spare set and see if it goes away.
    WHAT! No spare set?
    Try swapping the power tubes, as well as the preamp tubes...

ken361 likes this.
  16. Bownse

Bownse Well-Known Member

Air raid! Duck!

Chop sticks work, too.

rlowe likes this.
  17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Vietnamese chop sticks.

Bownse and rlowe like this.
  18. rlowe

rlowe Active Member

Come to think of it, I do have an extra pair of chopsticks, maybe not Vietnamese the local Chinese food variety.

Bownse likes this.
  19. SteelLucky

SteelLucky Active Member

Power tube or V4 preamp tube failure is my guess. I would try V4 first.

20. rlowe

rlowe Active Member

Come to think about it, about a year ago my 40c would crackle, and pop loud when I turned it on. Using my Chinese chopsticks (NPI), I tapped power tubes, hollow and clunky, I also tapped preamp tubes most would also give a hollow, or clunky sound. Anyways I changed all tubes and Vola.. back in business. I have a spare set of JJ EL34,s, JJ E34L's, Tad EL34's which are currently installed. IMO the JJ E34L's and not the JJ EL34's sound better, more aggressive, punchier with this amp. Doug's tubes has a set of preamp tubes that are hand selected for the 40c they are just a tad bit better!