The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

ken361

Reaction score
You did good and I think it sounds better than your other guitars. Not night and day but significantly. Makes me want one! Great score and it sounds great with the DSL.
I would get the MIM ones over the Japan ones because they have the pickups at the correct height, the japanese has the stainless frets that I loved but didnt sound great loud with my fender and bogners pedals at the time. Maybe it was the setup? DSL might work better ?? you cant really adjust the pickup height there mounted to the body unless there modified. The EVH Wolfgang Standard started making them in Japan then China and now Mexico along with the Striped Series.

Nexodus2

Reaction score
I'm pretty terrible at navigating this form, and can't find my old post. I wanted to drop what happened and what solution worked for me.

Earlier in the week I posted about my FX loop acting janky. If i turned it on, the volume would surge, off, the volume would go flat. I would also have weird volume spikes.

I learned a lot through the process of taking things apart using contact cleaner on anything and everything and tracing soldier points thinking it was the jack itself. Another forum member mentioned changing tubes, and e-mailed doug's tubes and got reccomendations. I ordered them and learned to bias all in one day (not to self, invest in hook probes NOT needle probes to bias).

Upon initial biasing my bias readings were approximately 52 and 54 before changing tubes. I biased this number down then changed the tubes, which is probably silly. Once I completely changed all preamp and power tubes, I biased to about 37-38. Again, all I had was needle probes and holding them still on a cold day is quite the feat.

While it was open, I figured I should just cut the c19 cap too.

The sound my amp makes now is incredible. The highs are creamier, there is no rediculous harshness, and I feel like I have to learn the amp all over again with settings - but i'm super happy with it.

So one, I wanted to share to ensure if anyone found a similar problem it most likely had to do with preamp tubes being wonky, but a full tube change, and the c19 mod will turn a solid amp into an outstanding one.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

rlowe

Reaction score
I have the special II LTD Custom Shop with a nice maple veneer, just a 2 piece slab of Mahogany. Not really heavy though like Les Paul with a maple cap this is thinner but I dont mine its warm and thick sounding. Yeah old studio I had wasnt even 9.5:) 2009 model. I compared the 2 the Gibby was a little brighter but the EPI was a little thicker/nicer doing power chords
You seem to be having the opposite experience that I had with these Epi's a few years back. I did two separate date comparisons with my 2012 Gibson studio, and could not believe the difference in the two guitars quality. The studio's Neck, frets, tuning, pickups, electronics, were all superior in quality and sound. I dare not compare my Gibson LP standard as it is better than my studio. Whatever floats your boat, but Epiphone special II guitars are generally listed as...beginner guitar's. Like your EVH!

ken361

Reaction score
You seem to be having the opposite experience that I had with these Epi's a few years back. I did two separate date comparisons with my 2012 Gibson studio, and could not believe the difference in the two guitars quality. The studio's Neck, frets, tuning, pickups, electronics, were all superior in quality and sound. I dare not compare my Gibson LP standard as it is better than my studio. Whatever floats your boat, but Epiphone special II guitars are generally listed as...beginner guitar's. Like your EVH!
I had a Les Paul Traditional Pro II so what lol. I had a studio 2012 that I got on a trade in for my EPI 1959 with a maple cap and gibson humbuckers, I took the gibson it resonated better unplugged and sounded a "bit" better plugged in. My Epi is kinda loud and resonates good plugged in or not I was pretty surprised

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
These convinced me to check them out, kinda hard to mess up a slab of Mahogany for the price its great:) The maple cap does add some brightness but for the money the EPI is pretty nice. No high frets,buzzes or pinching in the nut works great:)

Len

Reaction score
Looks like this is turning into a guitar thread...

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well since we are using the same amp a bit of guitar info seems fine. As applied.

The worst QC guitar I've had over the years is a Gibson SG. The G string has always been tune challenged. Its not the only brand but my fav guitar has had issues.

Why is this relevant here? Because the SG & LP make the Marshall epic...including our beloved DSL40'S.

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is this relevant here? Because the SG & LP make the Marshall epic...including our beloved DSL40'S.
Hard to believe the DSL40 has become such an iconic combo.

When I started this thread I had no idea this amp would be so popular. It is glad to see SOOOOO many great people here using this amp and posting clips.

A little guitar talk here and there shouldn't hurt too much...

ken361

Reaction score
Well since we are using the same amp a bit of guitar info seems fine. As applied.

The worst QC guitar I've had over the years is a Gibson SG. The G string has always been tune challenged. Its not the only brand but my fav guitar has had issues.

My old SG 2009 had that issue, someone stated it was prb the neck angle that cause pinching in the nut?? maybe all I know this cheap EPI been flawless! some people have too much pride and think it was to cost 2,000 to sound better lol my ass

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Ken..it stands to reason that if you pay 2 grand for a musical instrument, as opposed to say 600 bucks, everything about the more expensive should be better.That would include sound. It may not be the case but it does stand to reason.

ken361

Reaction score
Ken..it stands to reason that if you pay 2 grand for a musical instrument, as opposed to say 600 bucks, everything about the more expensive should be better.That would include sound. It may not be the case but it does stand to reason.
Think mostly its looks and cosmetics, the pickups helps acorse a nice maple top cost more ect. After you owned both my thoughts has changed some.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
The age old adage... "you get what you pay for" generally holds true, across the board.

rjohns1

Reaction score
Really bummed, got a new set of Mullard EL34 tubes. Put them in, and one of them won't bias below 42mv. The problem follows one tube. According to the Weber bias calc, with a plate voltage of 467v, it should be 37.4ma. So much for a matched set. The other tube will go down to 20mv on the lowest setting of the pot. Back in the old JJ's go until i get a replacement.

Latest posts