The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

You can gather the pitchforks up after!!
    I finally sold my 40C...:drunk: Yes,I liked it. Yes it sounded great!! Just found I wasn't using It nearly enough playing out. Sorry!!

Background - I got it to get something more compact and lighter than the TSL122 that was still a Marshall. A few months later, a 6101 showed up!! Now, the 40C is only about 4" smaller footprint and with the V30is about 15 lbs less than 122.
    The 6101, however heavy and dense, is substantially smaller than either amp. I always used an OD pedal with the 40C. While I do have my OD on my big board, a bit inconvenient for practice and smaller shows. So given the 3 channels of excellent tones on TSL and 6101 and extra funding for my JVM 410C, i decided to let it go. Space considerations as well. If I like it but dont play it much and have to use a pedal, itjust didn't seem worth keeping for me.

A nice older dude who plays classic rock mainly bought it. An amp for life, he called it. So I'm happy for him. The way it goes....
    I'm also happy with the collection I have, and am going to do the -fd back mod on the 410 soon.
    :jam:

ken361 and Micky like this.
  2. Greatwhitenorth

Greatwhitenorth Well-Known Member

Why Jethro, why? My heart hurts right now. I have to go compose myself......

Jethro Rocker and ken361 like this.
  3. Bownse

Bownse Well-Known Member

Don't let him kid you. I asked him questions when I was new on the forum and he ignored me for weeks... well days... would you believe he answered right away with good info?

Benjamin Spicer likes this.
  4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

What a dick!:lalala::mods::nuts::erk::facepalm::noway:

:D

:mad:

5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I should have saved it for you Solarburn!!
    There's kinda overlap, too. If I had more room...
    TSL122, SJ2558, 6101 w 6912 ext cab, Traynor 2x12 cab, JVM410H, 6505 MH....will have to suffice....:(

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  6. rlowe

rlowe Active Member

I recently posted a statement about Eurotubes recommendation for biasing the dsl40c. The first email I received from them stated 40-45. I thought well, this seems a little high according to the bias calculator at 70% dissipation 37.2 @ 470 plate voltage. The second email stated: Yes, 40 millivolts is the recommended setting. This is what Marshall recommends and is not too hot. I have tried it around these settings, and it sounds ok, but I like a bit more headroom and a cleaner sound. My current setting is biased @ 39.2 to allow for maybe 1-2 ma drift downward as it has down before. :iough:

7. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I would think the clean and crunch would sound better hotter, cold is more bassy and less breakup. So you use the red channel at all? hows that now? so maybe going 2 over might be the sweet spot;)

8. Bownse

Bownse Well-Known Member

When I got mine, I first took it to some local place who biased it at 41. I wrapped my head around the risks of DIY, the process as documented here, biased it at 36 and have been happier with its range.

9. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I use the red a lot so going hot will be brighter for sure so there's a fine line for using both channels

10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

11. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Any idea what was the plate voltage was at running it at 36? 70%

12. Bownse

Bownse Well-Known Member

ken361 likes this.
  13. rlowe

rlowe Active Member

Theoretically, if you do not use pedals the clean and crunch would sound better hotter; using pedals would provide the xtra boost if set cooler. (preference). I actually do not use much red channel due to less natural harmonic content. Necessity is the mother of invention:mrburns:

14. aryasridhar

aryasridhar Well-Known Member

Within a week of getting the DSL100H, i found the ultra channel to be brighter than the classic channel, so popped the C19 cap and it now transitions very well from one channel to another....

Also replaced the V1 tube with a JJ 12AX7 I had in my stash, the difference is good, the harshness at time has disappeared...

While looking for a cab for the DSL (was using a 112 cab), I looked at various options, Mesa 412, Marshall 1960A, Marshall MX412, MG412, Orange 212 PPC, Laney GS412PS, all of these were either too pricey or too cheap and were MDF constructed, which put me off really.

Until yesterday when i walked into the store and found a Peavey Valveking 412 cab, Birch Ply construction, 400w RMS handling, with Peavey Valveking Speakers, these speakers sound a lot similar to the Eminence Legend speaker I had sometime back....the top end is smooth and overall it has a lot of refinement, a bit of that bark is missing, but then i feel these would sound better once the speakers are well broken in...

The final setup, I also have a little giant, 5w head that i do not want to part with after selling my Orange OR15 yesterday.

[​IMG]

solarburnDSL50 and Bownse like this.
  15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I run a Tungsol in the v1,v2,v3 Sylvania's,lps in the PI slot. A lot smoother and dynamic over the stock jj's

16. solarburnDSL50

Listen...the speakers may sound good or not. The main thing is you have a ply wood cab you can put whatever speakers you want in it.

Well done son.

aryasridhar likes this.
  17. solarburnDSL50

Put an AC-7HG+ in V1 only. HG does not stand for high gain. High grade.

lordquilton and ken361 like this.
  18. aryasridhar

aryasridhar Well-Known Member

Thank You, exactly what I wanted a well built cab that was worth fooling around with. Certainly new speakers are on the card...

19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

You find the red less brighter when turned up? From what I gathered the bright cap is on only at lower volume

20. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

What is an AC-7HG+? Who makes it, where is a good place to buy them and what will it do for the tone and gain? Enough questions LOL!!!