>

The Official Dsl20 Amp Thread (head And Combo)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 15, 2019.

1. trovador

trovador Well-Known Member

Correct

RobV and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. RobV

RobV Member

Thanks, nice to know, I have an extra set of EHX's here if I feel I want to try something else when it arrives.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. hugorodrig

hugorodrig New Member

Hi, are the schematics for the DSL20HR and DSL1HR out already? Can someone kindly point me to them?
    I want to try some mods on these (the 20HR has a lot of ice-picking highs even at 0 Presence and the 1HR needs a little more high treble Presence frequencies).

Thanks in advance.

4. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I just have treble below 9'oclock most of the time and presence way up. Depends on the guitar pickups too, but that's pretty much where I put it most of the time when using the green channel. I put a couple of Mullard reissues in V1 and V2. Don't recall if that made too much difference since I did that soon after I got it.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  5. amoodymule

amoodymule New Member

These settings were suggested on another forum and it helped with the high end rasp, for me any ole how :cool:

Dime the bass, mids, zero on the treble, (or add a tad) presence about midway, it works for now :D

Mitchell Pearrow and Antmax like this.
  6. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I run mine P- 6, B-6, M-5, T-6. Mine is not fizzy or raspy at this setting. There is no secret settings. Every guitar, cab, speaker and room will all affect the sound.
    For reference: I am mostly using low output pups and creamback speakers with the gain around 3-4.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

7. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Member

Hi!
    I recently bought a DSL20CR for use at band practice (the drummer is bit of a whimp and scared of big amps :lol:).
    Good thing is it seems to be one of the ones with no issues and it sounds pretty good on the 20W setting (Ifind the 10W lacks girth) with a Creamback fitted. However, the green channel could do with a bit more gain with some guitars - I run it dimed, and I feel it would be great if it "went to 12". Is there anything that can be done to solve this? I'd prefer to plug straight in with no pedals!

Cheers

Es

8. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

I just run my overdrive pedal and it works fine. I would love to use no pedals myself but I think we're out of luck.

Mitchell Pearrow and The_Nuge like this.
  9. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Member

A pedal would probably work, but I'd really like not to use one!
    I've decided to bring my JTM combo to practice this week - it looks innocent enough, so maybe the drummer won't get scared until I turn it on

10. Jobeyrips

Jobeyrips Member

I currently have a tsl 100 with a 1960 4x12 cab. For home practice and even band practice I can’t really crank the volume enough to have proper tone. I’m usually at 2-3 when we practice. Would this head be a good solution for me? Price seems reasonable how does the tone compare to just using the VPR switch on my TSL?

11. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Borrowed my friends DSL20 head. The red channel sounded pretty awesome thru my 4x12 with the band.

but the green channel seemed to be clean at all volumes. No break up at all! Is this normal?

12. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Well, I've never really dimed the green channel, until a minute ago.
    It does stay fairly clean with the volume and gain cranked, 10 & 20w.
    A little break up if I attack the strings on a scale or power chord.
    Your clean may also be from your 4x12 being able to take everything the 20 is putting out.

13. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Depends on your pickups. Got a Lester with slash pickups and have no issue covering most AC DC levels of distortion. Got to beat the shit of my strat just to get a little hair on that channel. Green ch gain full tilt gives me roughly the same gain levels as my JCM on 5. Get the volume up and the output stage cooking and there is a descent amount of gain to be had on that little green channel though.

14. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

It's a really nice amp but with most of my guitars the clean is best as a pedal platform if you want some gain. It's kind of bright and articulate at living room volume while the Ultra gain almost starts where the clean left off.

I changed the tubes on mine though. I have two kinds of Mullard RI preamp tubes and power tubes plus one of the stock Chinese Marshall tubes in V3 with 212 Mojotone greenback clones so it doesn't sound stock.

15. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

Nice to see a DSL20 thread. Sadly, my head and MX212A will not be here for a month or so but I'm getting ready! I have downloaded the manual and done a ton of research here. You people have all sorts of great knowledge about these amps. As I have said in other threads, I could only audition a combo as that is all there is in my part of the world [Ontario, Canada] but I liked the sound I heard. Mind you, I could not crank it at the store. And in my mind I was thinking that the 212 would really sound nice. So I'm a bit disheartened to hear all the negatives on the stock seventy 80 speakers. As price point was one of my deciding factors I'm not keen on forking out several hundred more dollars to replace the speakers.

Also, I notice all of the QC issues posted are prior to 2020. As my kit has not even shipped yet I am hoping it is a new build and that those nasty bugs have been taken care of. I will let you know once its here.

Cheers!

scozz, nickfox, Antmax and 2 others like this.
  16. BlueX

BlueX Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I bought my DSL20HR in March this year (2021), and there are no problems what so ever. Really satisfied, although I run this amp through a different cab.

17. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

The Seventy 80 is a pretty decent speaker. It sounds OK in a 1x12” configuration, so I imagine it is even better in a 2x12” configuration.

18. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

My DSL20H serial # tag is dated week 08 - 2020, and I've had absolutely no issues with it.
    The Seventy-80 speakers get a bad rap from the speaker cork sniffers that MUST have a creamback, or a greenback, or had to be made in England while Churchill was Prime Minister, or some stamp on the cone with a bunch of 7's or 4's, or something like that.
    I only changed mine because a had a spare old Haze G12T-66 and found another for $50 (they do sound smoother).
    I wouldn't go out and buy a set of 70-80s to replace some vintage speakers in a 4x12 cab under a plexi, but they are fine for cranking a DSL in your living room.

SiCoul and ITburst like this.
  19. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

I have a Neo Creamback in my Fender Tone Master Deluxe. It is a sweet sounding one. But based on the DSL combo I tried I’m sure I’ll be happy with it.
    I’m more worried about the QC issues.

scozz and fitz288 like this.
  20. ITburst

ITburst Active Member

Nice! Can I ask what part of the world you are in? Southern Ontario is really back ordered