>

The Official Dsl20 Amp Thread (head And Combo)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 15, 2019.

1. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Strange, but the noise seems to be going away the longer I play it. This little beast rocks!

I already changed out the speaker for a G12K-100 I had lying around. HUGE improvement! No mud, and plenty of thump. The Seventy-80 really is the wrong speaker for this amp.

2. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

This combo sits in a live mix very well: as someone else mentioned "it just sounds right" (mine is Neo creamback loaded). I bought it for its light weight being prepared that it would be slightly under powered and sound like a smaller and boxier version of my 40c. I will say the 40c does seem to be more than double the power (3db) and has more low end. This extra low end is more of an endulgence (that I typically have too) but is pretty useless live anyway (if you care how your band sounds). But surprised I'm not missing this difference when I'm playing the 20c alone, it somehow still sounds balanced. It has less lows than the 40c but seems to roll off in a pleasant way. My observations live are not enough power clean (totally expected this), just cuts it clean with a bit of dirt, crunch power is right around the sweet spot, and once you start poring on the gain it has a little power to spare (unless you secretly want to be a bass player).

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and trovador like this.
  3. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Has anyone located/reduced/removed the red channel bright cap yet?

tce63 likes this.
  4. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Raining outside, the sauna build is on hold.. I opened her up and the cap would be very easy to identify & modify if I was willing to void my warranty and unscrew the board, so it will be a volume pedal in the loop for me (for now). The mod can't be performed from the top of the board due to the cap type which is mounted tight to the board ;-)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    tce63 likes this.
  5. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

That is the only issue that annoys me right now.
    It is in the power-amp section as my noise gate can't remove it in effects loop.
    **It removes all noise in my JVMs**

I have went back to my JVM205 as I want dead silence when I am not playing or doing rests.
    Some day...I'll try and track the source of the white noise dow....unless someone else does forst.

6. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

If you have background hiss with nothing plugged in, send it back. It is defective. Check your volume controls with headphones plugged in to the emulated out. If the volume controls do NOT work using the emulated out with headphones, it is definitely defective. Both the hiss and emulated out issues are usually related. Should be dead quite all the time. Took me 4 trys to get a perfect working one so good luck!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. RiverRatt

I got the second amp from ZZounds this week, and it hisses just like the first. It’s older production than the first amp I got (01-2018). I doubt if I’ll ever use the headphone out but I’ll check it.

I’ve about decided to keep it despite the white noise. It is a great sounding amp, especially since I put a Greenback in it. The hiss isn’t as noticeable with a signal in the preamp. It bothers me that it isn’t right though so IDK I may return it after all. Reading all this, I don’t have much faith that I’d get a good replacement amp.

Does anybody have an earlier production model that doesn’t have the hiss? The first one I got was made 04-2018. I can’t believe that Marshall could have this many defective amps floating around. You’d think that by a year later all the bad ones would have been weeded out. It must be a very widespread issue.

8. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the 20HR. Got mine in Feb. 2018 so it's one of the early builds. I had that hiss sound before too. It sounded like air or something. Even while not playing anything and with the volume way down. It's gone now though. Not sure when it stopped, but I think I only heard it the first time I played it, maybe twice. But it's gone now.

I also have the issue with the emulated out, but never bothered to have it fixed. I guess I should have fixed it under warranty, but I don't use it, so I'm not really worried about it.

I like the amp...little guy cranks.

9. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

There are TONS of these defective amps out there. Find one that was manufactured mid to late 2018 and you should be ok. Like I posted earlier, if you have the hiss you almost certainly have emulated out and FX loop issues. If you are feeling ambitious, pull the chasis out and compare it to the posts I made in this thread and you will see what was done to fix this combo I had before I sold it.
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/dsl20-gut-shots-before-after-marshall-update.105714/

The head I have now is AMAZING! Believe me from experience, it sucks sending it back, but why keep a defective amp when you shelled out your hard earned cash for something that should be perfect??? If you are not buying from Sweetwater, I cannot recommend them enough. They will bend over backwards to get you a working amp!! Good Luck!

10. Maxtorque

Maxtorque New Member

Guess i got lucky with the one i bought . paired it up with a EVH el34 cab and its rockin!

11. RiverRatt

I sent it back today. It sounds awesome, especially with a Greenback, but I can’t live with the noise. I’m giving up on the 20. For the cost of a speaker upgrade, the DSL40CR just makes more sense, plus I have a better chance of getting a good amp.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that is exactly the same conclusion I came to after owning the 20HR for a short while. Every example of head or combo in the shop was defective.
    Now loving the 40CR. They aint perfect, but so much better.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Would be cool if somebody could figure out how to mod this amp to sound more open and less scooped, even with the mids max'd I struggled with getting tones I liked out of this amp. As far as quality, the one I had was perfect, all features worked and it was quiet as a mouse.

14. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It must be the Gibson '61 pickups in my SG;

I'm running my 20HR through a MX212A with G12T-75's, which are traditionally mid-scooped. I have the midrange set at 1 -- yes, 1 -- and this thing can STILL out honk a flock of geese. :shrug:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  15. RiverRatt

I got the DSL40CR today. WOW! The difference is greater than I was expecting. For $150 more than the 20CR, this one is a no-brainer. It sounds closer to the sound I remember from my DSL50 half stack. I’m glad I tried the 20 though, it was worth it to be able to compare the two.

Jackson404 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. _ripper_

_ripper_ Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, it doesn't have a bright cap on the red channel!

JBA likes this.
  17. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Really? I haven't pulled the board yet but mine definitely behaves like it has one. At low volume it has more gain in the higher spectrum and this gets vetoed out as the volume increases. Now you have me curious.. How did you figure this out?

18. _ripper_

_ripper_ Well-Known Member

I've seen the schematic for the DSL100HR and I've posted it here. It had the bright cap specified as NF (=not fitted). While I haven't seen the schematic for the 20HR, there's no reason to believe that that part of the circuit is any different.

DSMer, JBA and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. RobV

RobV Member

I see plenty of demo's of a DSL20 compared to 87x's and they sound really close. I had a Blackstar HT at the same time as a DSL50 & JCM800 4210 and didn't get that impression at all, The Blackstar felt like it was a heavier compressed gain structure than the DSL and the Blackstar felt like it had a blanket over it. It was moved quickly.

I am waiting on a DSL20H now since my Ibanez TSA30 died but it seems he is getting the Marshall crunch?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  20. RobV

RobV Member

Was I reading it right somewhere here today that you don't have to Bias tubes on these?