>

The Official Dsl20 Amp Thread (head And Combo)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 15, 2019.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Cool.. let us know how it compares. I remembered I had a Blackstar ID:Core 40 Head in my closet that I forgot about and started using it again this week. As much as I liked the DSL20H (but not enough to keep it) the Blackstar sounds better and has the Marshall crunch I was looking for that the DSL20 didn't... I'm considering Blackstar amps now.. especially the TVP series over the tube amps. I've always been curious what the Mini Jubilee would be like.

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum, glad you got a problem free unit! Cheers Mitch

Armando, tce63 and scozz like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, :welcome: @Armando to the Marshall forum!!

There are a plethora of guys here with a wealth of information on Marshall amps!

Also congrats on your purchase of a DSL20cr! I’m happy to hear you changed out the stock Celestion Seventy/80 speaker,....which is not the best speaker Marshall could have chosen for this amp to say the least,....

4. Shreddy Krueger

Shreddy Krueger Active Member

When I first got back into playing four years ago I went with the blackstar 30tvp. I was originally thinking about the id core but in person I wasn't that impressed with the sounds. The tvp was okay, but I sold within three months and never looked back. Like most modellers it just felt empty at the center. That was my experience - but maybe it'll work for you? What kind of stuff do you play?

jchrisf and tce63 like this.
  5. Armando

Armando New Member

Thank you all for the welcome.
    The change of loudspeaker is a big change the seventy 80 is a cold speaker and with few low for my taste (it has good dynamics in that I liked) but flat in terms of feelings. The Vintage 30 brings warmth, better bass and highs and that rock sound that we all have in our memories, pure feeling.
    The DSL20C gains a lot with a change of speaker with the characteristics that you like. The series does not extract the essence of the amplifier.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. jchrisf

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with it at first and that is why it got put in the closet and forgotten. Put I purchased some greenbacks since then and playing it through the greenbacks, it sounded amazing.. bigger, fuller and better than the DSL20 (and I liked the DSL). The speakers really make the difference. You've helped me decide that if I am to get a TVP it will be the head though so thanks. I'm still considering the new ID:Core 100 because it is a different design but honestly I have that covered with the id core 40 head. I'm just curious how much better the TVP will sound if I love the id core head so much.

I play mostly 80s hard rock and hair metal.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Shreddy Krueger

Me too, so we're in the ballpark.

I should probably qualify the above by saying that I did run the 30 through an external cab -- a Suhr with Warehouse Vet 30s. I didn't try the 100 so maybe that'll help the hollow tone issue. I've tried both Kemper and Fractal in my search and, in the end, I ended up with Marshall, Bogner, and Friedman tube amps. But I do get why people like going the modelling route, especially for home playing (I tried my best to make it work, but it just didn't do it for me). All of the tube amps I listed above sound great for 70's/80s rock and metal (with various boosts, etc), but the deciding factor will always be volume. If you have to play below the 9 o'clock mark, then modelling is probably the way to go for those tones.

8. jchrisf

I didn't know you could connect an external cab to the TVP combos. How'd you do it?

I have a Headrush Pedalboard that I love but sometimes I want to play a real amp with easy controls and great tone. The DSL20HR sounded fantastic it just wasn't as versatile as I had hoped and didn't give that core crunch that I desire mostly. If it wasn't for the headphone issue I probably would have kept it but after trying the Blackstar I was hooked.

9. Shreddy Krueger

My uncle builds guitars and amps - he rigged it up for me via an external box (not sure how it works, but I can find out if you're interested - fire me over a PM for the details).

Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It would be like $1400,...that’s what it would be like! :D

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  11. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for all the pieces of information about how Marshall messed up the DSL20.
    I was thinking about buying one as they are dirt cheap here in Europe (369 € for the DSL20HR). But after reading about all these troubles I'm pretty sure, that I can live without one.
    It's really a shame. :sad:

12. Shreddy Krueger

Well, I just bought one a month ago, in Europe, UK, and maybe I was one of the lucky ones? Mine is perfect.

Moony likes this.
  13. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Got mine in Sweden, no problem at all

14. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Could you please tell me, when it was produced?
    Should be a print on the label with the serial number, f.e. "01-2018".

15. Shreddy Krueger

It's 400 miles away at the minute having the tubes swapped out and some mods done. Should be back up by Thursday. Send me a PM and I'll make sure that I get them over to you

Moony likes this.
  16. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Some guy called Elmo did a pretty good DSL20 review. Goes through both channels and all the functions clean and high gain. One of the better videos I have seen since he covers quite a lot of features and fiddles with the EQ etc.

tce63 likes this.
  17. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

We have some catching up to do on the 40cr official tread folks! ;-)

Ok, I got a 20cr: none of the reported issues. The price compared to the 40cr seems criminal, but the weight difference is awsome: I bought this for portability.

First time I played it (in reference to my DSL40c with c19 disabled and a neo creamback installed) not super happy but not disappointed either.

Second time I played it (creamback neo installed, Century Vintage on order) it was much better as expected but still not mind blowing.

Third time... I'm hooked. Why? Found all my sounds with completely different amp settings that are positioned nothing like my 40c. On this 20cr the Green channel with gain at 12:00 is my kind of clean. I had to go to 9'ish on the red for the right crunch (not used to this but it works great). Boost this red setting or bring the gain up and back down the tone on the guitar (Les Paul traditional mostly as a reference) and I got my heavy tone. Boosting the green requires something very very neutral. Turn this amp up loud on the green though and some excellent crunch can be had there for sure (gain cranked.. Bass below 9:00 and resonance turned right off.. you have to twist a bunch of knobs for this setting) Shared EQ works great as it was factored into the three earlier settings I mentioned. ;-)

A couple point about this amp.. I noticed allot of folks like myself are looking or have purchased this as a do it all light weight "Marshall Tube Amp" so some things you might consider:

It sounds great. It delivers Marshall tones ( you need to figure out if it's the Marshall one's you want.. It is for me). The bass thump is not lost like most other small combo's. (Haha I know I know, but it's still nice to have when you are playing alone.) It does play at low volume low but needs to be too loud for quiet playing to give up the goods without resetting everything. While speaker swapping I noticed the transformers are very small for the rated power of this amp. I also happen to notice the supply transformer runs very hot. Here is the speculation part (I spent my whole life designing and tweaking electronics as a reference if than even matters lol) I suspect early supply tx failure could be an issue for the guys hoping that the 20 could keep up cranked in a live band situation where deep down inside you knew the 40c or cr was the right choice but was just too heavy; Only time will tell. I'd say if you are looking to run this thing full bore most the time and have a good enough back for 50lbs then the 40cr is the safer long term bet (this is only a best guess) If your drummer doesn't have anger issues then you might be good with the 20cr. If you need ultra clean loud'ish gig volume go with the 40.

By the way for me , neo creamback for the 20cr was better than the Century Vintage (basically a milder Vintage 30 with a neo magnet... And Amazingly light weight). Surprise surprise, the CV ended up in my DSL40c beating out both the Vintage 30 and all 3 Creambacks. I can't believe the CV in the 40 is not breaking the Internet. It sounds great and will make the 40c as light as physically possible.

I hope this helps would be buyers. Would love to hear others thought on your tone settings for the 20 too.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  18. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have the DSL20HR. I haven't had any issues with mine. I've had it a while. Loop works great and I run an X4 Delay in the loop.

Of course settings vary per instrument but I find the sweet spot for me in the Ultra channel is with the mids maxed and bass very low. There's a notch around the 9 o'clock area that gets the tone away from being metal sounding to a more high gain vintage vibe. I keep the gain way to the left of noon and I run the Master wide open. An Xotic EP boost works wonders there. Stagecraft Heirloom 1x12 with a Vintage 30. My Gibson Flying V with stock 500T and 496R seems to favor this channel although of course a Les Paul is good also but I don't like to use it as much with a high gain amp. My Les Paul into the Classic channel pushed by a Tubescreamer is very good.

Fantastic amp for the money.

Mitchell Pearrow and JBA like this.
  19. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I just got my DSL20CR today. The tone is good, but there’s an annoying background hiss that bothers me. The best way I can describe it is the sound of an amp with the volume on 10.

It seems to be in the power section as it does it with V1and V2 pulled. Switching the PI tube didn’t make any difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m seriously considering returning it.

20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

There is another thread right here called the best dsl20cr settings ever, the op is talking about a similar/ I think issue as you are speaking of, gang up and see if you guys can troubleshoot the issue! Cheers Mitch