>

The Official Dsl20 Amp Thread (head And Combo)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 15, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yup,....I hope you ate the corned beef with some eggs before you made it! :lol:

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

You hit all my emotions!

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  3. Robus

Robus Well-Known Member

Spring reverb?

4. Len

Len Well-Known Member

My Sweetwater rep acknowledges that the problem exists. Guess I’ll have to wait for Marshall to get their act together before I consider buying this amp.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  5. Satchmodog

Satchmodog Member

I have the 20 head and dig it so far. I run it into two cabs on and off and honestly, it just sounds good. I have an Orange PPC212(v30s) and a Blackstar 212 with the 70/80s and both sound killer. Depending on what sort of music I'm playing, one cab may sound better than the other, but neither one makes me want to stop playing. I will say the Blackstar cab makes the amp sound more Marshally fwiw. I've read all the detractors and they have points because we all like different things in amps and tones. I especially like the second channel, which I know a lot of folks here do not like. But shit, it's a good higher gain channel, not perfect, but it sounds like higher gain Marshall. I bought the amp because I wanted an amp that sounded like a Marshall without dumping another grand or two on an amp. I'm more an Orange guy and also have a few Blackstar heads and combos and an Egnater tweaker 88 because it had a Marshall tone stack. Meh, not really. Still an awesome head, but it sounds like an Egnater, not a Marshall. My issue with this amp is the weird glitch with the FX loop. You turn the amp on, turn on a pedal in the loop and the tone is colored immediately. You stomo the switch for the loop and the loop is now active, sound is colored and the volume decreased. If you stomp the loop again, the issue goes away. It's curious, and Marshall has been less than helpful with the issue.
    But, that's my only beef with the head. It's well worth the 500 beans. Some days I wish I had the 100 just because it has more to play with tonally.

John.X and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Shreddy Krueger

Shreddy Krueger Active Member

Has anyone tried anything like a Friedman BEOD on the GAIN channel set to a plexi crunch? Just curious as to how this would turn out (see the end of Pete Thorn's demo for reference).

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Deerhunter1972

Update...
    Just received the attached email from Sweetwater. Now I have a new dilemma...Do I get a different amp or do I wait it out??? I REALLY like the tone of the DSL20. It has the tone in a low watt amp I have always been searching for. You would think Marshall could fix the popping issue pretty easy. Honestly, I can't think of to many songs I play that go from dirty to clean, so do I live with the switch popping issue? I am up for any suggestions for a possible replacement amp from Sweetwater. I really wanted a low watt, 2 channel, high gain amp with EL34's. I play mostly classic rock and 80's hair metal, but also like a lot of modern rock. I am up for any and all suggestions. Screenshot_20190118-212558.png

tce63 likes this.
  8. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Any word on when Marshall will ship “good” amps?

tce63 likes this.
  9. Deerhunter1972

tce63 likes this.
  10. Bruno60

Bruno60 Active Member

Marshall will have problems like Gibson, if they do not do anything to return to the legendary quality ... the sound is good, but you also need either reliable. I just received my Randall Diavolo RD45 and I must say that the quality and sound there! I resell my dsl and I would not buy any models that appeared after the JCM800, the last "real" Marshall IMO.

JeffMcLeod and tce63 like this.
  11. Shreddy Krueger

Tell him you'll take a PT20 ;-)

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think I’d try buying somewhere else @Deerhunter1972. I know you prefer Sweetwater because of great customer service, but there are plenty of these amps out there that are working just fine.

As far as keeping the one that pops, that’s not something I would accept.

13. Shreddy Krueger

Any recommendations for mods/tube rolling to round out the character on the red channel?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Copied from the DSL 29H Gut shot thread..

Did a little tube rolling...

Swapped out V1 with a new production Tung Sol....typically these are very bright in my JVMs and other Marshalls I try them in, however this removed all the fizziness and kinda made the sound a bit livelier, I guess I'd call it. Keep in mind the DSL20 is no where near as fizzy sounding as their DSL predecessors.
    It certainly tightened up the distortion channel.
    I had tried a Shuguang, Sovtek LPS, some other new production 12AX7s and a couple old RCA short gray plates...The Tung Sol won out.

Next, V3...again rolled a bunch but ended up using the Sovtek LPS there...seriously no realized improvement with any of the various 12AX7s.

V2. Tried again a Tung sol, a EH (both kinda seemed to exaggerate the brightness)...back to the Marshall JJ...kinda added the Looseness and fizz back in...tried the Shuguang (and the Marshall white Labeled Shug) this really added fizz back into the tone...Settled on an old RCA.

Now...pre-amp: no fizz (anywhere), full bodied/full distortion, really smooth saturation.

Power Tubes...Stock JJEL34's in the DSL20 I received. These came the JVM 205 I bough as well. While they sound good, trust me when I say I have tried a lot of other EL34's and everyone has been superior to JJ's.
    Just for giggles and to confirm that the JJs in the 205 I received weren't an anomaly, I put in the Winged Cs I had been sitting on and yep...like a new amp. Sound went from its really cool, to whoa...that's really big.
    I ended up installing the spare set of JJ KT77's (these I have been fairly partial to) and leaving them in.

NOTE: I use my DSL as a single channel amp. Distortion...thats what I am after. I play Thrash/speed metal...so smooth, tight distortion with descent bottom end and strong but non-ear piercing mids is what I am after.

My Settings:
    Resonance & Presence:5
    Bass: 6-7
    Mids: 4
    Treble: 6
    Gain: 7-8
    Master Volume: 2-3
    Mid Shift: Out
    Reverb: 4
    CAB: 1960AV (Picture below shows a B52 AT Cab)

Shure GDLX16 Wireless to a Poly-Tune mini (yes the Shure has built i tuner...unfortunately the PolyTune is quicker and more accurate...and I had the space) into front of amp.
    Loop...Moog Minifooger analog delay to Boss EQ to the Rocktron Noise Gate.
    A single button foot-switch modified to just activate the loop.
    The pedal board is powered by a 12vDC battery with 2.3ah rating, bucked down to 9vDC to supply all the pedals. *All mounted underneath with a jack for recharging and a switch with LED t kill power so it's not draining when not in use.

I really don't see what there would be to Mod (and as a modder/tweaker...I am looking).
    The only thing I may do..is add a second loop.
    My wish list...is a loop that's always on (noise gate and/or EQ spot) and one that can be switched in and out (delay/reverb or other time based effects for solos).

*yes the JVM kinda has that, but the second loop really does suck. Neither the 410 nor the 205 'power amp' loop is useful.

I am thinking I actually like this over my JVM's, both in weight and simplicity, but also the tone is that good.
    For live stuff, this will be my rig (pending a few more months of trial for durability testing).
    Recording...may be by both the DSL and a JVM.

15. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

More DSL 20 Info...

Since no schematic has been leaked (no i am not removing the board to inspect and trace this out)..we relying on too much speculation.
    Here are some measurements taken...

[​IMG]

This appears to have no cathode follower. I believe the tone stack comes off the plate of V2 similar to the Jubilee.
    This is also confirms Tube Phase inverter, it is not solid state as others have guessed.

I know many are interested in 'what can I do to hot rod mod this baby'

Start with the basics...go tube roll.
    While the DSL 20 removes the fizzy brittle problem the predecessors have...the distortion channel can be tightened up.

16. Deerhunter1972

17. Deerhunter1972

I actually just responded to them and told them I want a Mini Jubilee:fingersx:

18. Armando

Armando New Member

Hi all.
    I'm new in the forum. From Spain.
    I am the happy owner of a DSL20C I want to say that I am very happy with the amplifier. I have already made several changes. First I changed the speaker a Celestion Vintage V30. Amazing change.
    I have also changed all the valves. Now he has a TAD RT010 7025 in V1, Mullard reissue 12ax7 in V2 and a Ruby 12ax7A HG in V3. The Green it's more clean. Very pretty clean in a Marshall. And the Red it's now more useful not only high gain much more travel. Then I changed the EL34's Since one broke down two TAD EL34 STR no much diference between JJ's. In terms of problems, I only have the hisss but not too much problem for me. I'm thinking to put a noise gate on the fx loop.
    Regards.

19. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the Forum :welcome:.

It seems that the European sold DSL amplifiers have less problems for some reason.
    Glad you like it, i am very happy with mine :)

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and Armando like this.
  20. Shreddy Krueger

Interesting to hear about the problems. Got mine in the UK and so far, touch wood, it's perfect.