>

The Official Dsl20 Amp Thread (head And Combo)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

DSL20HR. I love mine. I'm currently running it through a MX212A with G12T-75's, though I'm experimenting with speakers too. I posted a 3 or 4 clips over in The Cellar of us jamming up in the studio. The camcorder isn't exactly high quality audio, but "it is what it is."

:hbang:

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Im happy yo hear that since that’s what I have in my 1-12 cab, (65 Creamback).

But mine is only a single 12 cab. Are you playing yours thru a 1-12, or multiple Creambacks?

3. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I love mine, I do have the emulated out which has the weird issue that it seems to be fixed volume and you have to turn up gain to make it louder. Which seems wrong, the annoying thing is that when I mentioned it on their mymarshall support forum thing, they said that was normal. While I know of at least one person on here who got theirs fixed.

Otherwise it works fine. My reverb, delay and volume/choke all work perfectly in the loop and compared to my 5c it sounds like a much bigger ballsier amp.

I also have the MX212a Cab, I had a Veteran 30 in my 5c which I swapped for one of the 70/80's and discovered that my cab had a wiring issue from the factory. They only have the one 8ohm input jack with 2x16 ohm speakers in parallel. I noticed in mine that the second speaker that piggybacks off the first was wired out of phase. Might be worth a check in yours because when I discovered this I looked online and found one other person had the same problem with their MX212A Cab too.

I actually changed the speaker out before I tried it and put the wiring back to original just to make sure I wasn't crazy. It sounded incredibly bad with the original wiring, frequencies canceling each other out it sounded thin and had no bottom end similar to out of phase pickups.

Keep posting this pic of my 20 + Cab, might as well do it again lol.
    I bought mine from Sweetwater a few months ago for piece of mind after all the problems people were having. There were a few used ones for up to $100 off but I didn't fancy taking a chance. I'm pretty happy with mine and just turn up the signal after the line out if I am going to use emulated out. Doesn't sound too bad, but I wouldn't mind knowing what the fix is if it's an easy one.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Another good point on the DSL20HR is the effects loop works really well, I put a boost in the loop for lead volume boost and it worked perfectly. :yesway:

5. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Just to clarify things, Sweetwater confirmed that the effect loop issue was present on earlier DSL20s, but it has been resolved and is fixed on all current DSL20s shipping.

6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, mine was wired correctly from the git-go, although like I said, I swapped out the original Seventy/80's with some G12T-75's, so it's wired up correctly.

7. scozz

@Antmax,...where in the loop do you put your volume/choke? I’ve got a volume box, (basically a master volume), I’m not sure if it should be in the front, or back, or somewhere in the middle.

tce63 likes this.
  8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Depends if you want it to adjust the gain (after guitar, same as guitar volume) or volume of the fully effected signal (last in the loop). The only right answer is the one that you like best. I know its a faff, but try different positions yourself.
    Is the "Box" a foot rocker or a knob?

Len, tce63 and scozz like this.
  9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Mine is a 2x12 Bogner oversized cab-2 CBs.

tce63 likes this.
  10. scozz

It’s a knob. I was thinking last in the loop, but I was wondering what others might be doing.

tce63 likes this.
  11. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

It makes sense to stick it at the end before the power amp. But I just have mine at the start because I have my pedalboard on a sideboard where my three pugs won't chew on it. The way pedals are generally patched left to right with short cables and the fact that I don't change the choke setting much, I have it furthest away to the right next to my power supply and G10 reciever.

So more for practical reasons, I have never tried it at the end, though that does seem like it would be the best place. I should probably try it and see what difference it makes.

SkyMonkey, scozz, tce63 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

The Seventy80 is such a saaaad sad speaker I honestly can't tell if that's what makes the new DSL's in stores so depressing... or whether it needs a retube straight out of the box and/or there's a further redesign or manufacturing issue

Food for thought: old TSL100 heads have a button that kicks it down to 25-ish watts and can be had quite cheap... and sound better at low volumes even without the low wattage mode engaged

Literally just now played the ol' monstrosity with red and yellow channel gain dimed, through a 4x12 --- and dialed in quiet enough to hear dripping light rain outside over the guitar

13. scozz

I just tried mine both ways in front and back. It works much better in front, another words I plug my guitar into the volume box, then thru the effect pedals then into the amp.

In this position the knob has a much smoother, gradual increase or decrease in volume when turning it. When I tried it at the end of the loop, it had a very low volume on 1 and as I turned it up it did not get very much louder until it was like 3/4 of the way up,...then all of a sudden it got very loud,....abruptly.

Not really even useable in that position. I don’t have any idea why, but it works dramatically better in front.

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and SkyMonkey like this.
  14. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Mine is last in the GT-10 FX chain in the loop. I haven't tried it as an attenuator yet. Bit nervous about accidentally touching the rocker and blowing the windows out! Plus a rocker is far harder to dial in precisely. I only use it to lower the normal amp volume (kill). If it was a separate pedal with a volume knob (like scozz) the risk of a volume burst would be negligible.
    I suppose you could try an effect last in the chain, set to negligible effect, and use the effect level to attenuate higher amp settings. No chance of a volume burst then.

15. scozz

This is one I’ve got,...it was just delivered today. I bought it for an amp I didn’t even buy yet!! :erk:

Dsl20....

$20 bucks

[​IMG]

16. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  17. scozz

tce63 likes this.
  18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

It's just a volume pot for the FX loop, right?

I made one out of an instrument cable, a 250k audio taper guitar pot, a can of corned beef, and the lid off an instant coffee can

Works great with series loops, fails with parallel loops

tce63, scozz and Deerhunter1972 like this.
  19. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

Just got an email today from Sweetwater on where they are at in finding me a replacement head... Screenshot_20190117-190446.png

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Well, that's... encouraging? Discouraging?? Helpful but depressing???