>

The Official Dsl20 Amp Thread (head And Combo)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 15, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well l don’t own one yet, but I plan on it in a couple of weeks. I’m still deciding if I want the head or combo, leaning toward the head.

There’s an Origin 50 thread, and a Dsl40 thread so I thought why not a Dsl20 thread.

I know of a few guys here that have bought, or are thinking about buying one. I’ve also seen quite a bit of info and questions about both the head and combo.

Sooooo :D.....

I guess I’ll start....

As I said in the beginning, I’m leaning toward the head. I’ve got a decent Marshall 1-12 cab with a G12M-65 in it and I thought that would be a nice combination.

Or maybe get the combo and replace the stock Seventy/80 speaker with either a Celestion G12M-65 or a WGS ET65. I really like both speakers.

That Marshall cab I mentioned came stock with a Seventy/80, and man that speaker leaves a bit to be desired,...(to put it politely). I also have another 1-12 cab so if I want a fuller sound I could have the 20 going thru 2, 1-12 cabs.

Anyway, we’ll see which way I decide. :hmm:

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Ok all you guys with the 20’s start posting! Clips will not be mandatory, but would be quite helpful, as for my self , I have no experience with this amp, don’t be shy , positive and negative posts are welcome, if you have modded any aspect of the amp please tell! Cheers

tce63 and scozz like this.
  3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

DSL 20HR owner here. I really like the amp. Mine has the emulated out issue and I would be very grateful if someone who has one and their amp has had the issue fixed, please post a gut shot photo. Maybe I could then see what the "Fix" is. I heard this also fixes the FX loop problem. I don't use the emulated out or FX loop right now but maybe some day?

4. scozz

Thanks for the support buddy! :thumb: :cool: :shred:

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

No problem brother :cheers:

scozz likes this.
  6. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

I have a DSL20CR combo that had the FX loop issue, hissing noise issue, the popping issue when switching from ultra gain to classic gain while notes are being played, and the emulated out issue. I bought it used off of Ebay for $389, and Marshall agreed to "update" it for free if I shipped it to them, even though I had no warranty. According to Marshall, the update included replacing several resistors and "updating" the FX loop. After the update, everything seems OK except it still has the popping issue which is pretty annoying. I took before gut shots, but haven't gotten around to taking pictures after the "update", but will soon. I loved the tone of the amp so much, I decided to get the head. I bought the head brand new a couple days before Christmas from Sweetwater for $450 shipped. The head they sent me sounded great. It was dead quite while off standby...However, the Volume controls did not work with headphones on and using the emulated out, but I was not bothered by that since my VOX Amplug 2 sounds fantastic for headphone use...There was no popping at all while switching channels. I thought this head was perfect until I put a Boss RC-3 in loop. With the Boss RC-3 in the loop, and the FX engaged on the foot switch, there was a drastic reduction in volume. I called Sweetwater and explained to them the problems I was experiencing, and with no questions asked, they tested their last unit in stock, which they deemed in perfect working order, and shipped me the replacement FedEx Next Day Air at $145 on their dime. They also paid the return shipping, at $70, on my defective head. The new Head arrived, and it had a hum when effects loop engaged, a hiss noise with nothing plugged in, and it popped really loud whens switching amp channels while playing. I was, however, able to control the volume with the Volume knob while using headphones, and there was no volume drop using the FX loop. I called Sweetwater, and they said they got 10 brand new units in from Marshall, and are right now in the process of hand picking me a perfect head. As of yesterday, they tested 5 of the 10, and all of them, they claim, were flawless except they ALL popped when switching from ultra gain to classic gain. They are in talks with Marshall right now about this issue, and said they will not send me another replacement until they get one that works perfect. If and when I get a working head, I am selling the combo. I bought an Avatar Vintage 2x12 with UK Celestion Greenbacks that sounds amazing with these amps. Much more full, and zero fizz. I just wish I realized how BIG the cabinet is. It's a little smaller than a half stack, but man the quality and price, $488 shipped, cannot be beat. I chose the Avatar over the Marshall 1936 because the Marshall 1936 brand new with Greenbacks would have been close to $1000. I really hope I can get a working DSL20HR...Does anyone here have a flawless DSL20HR??? Or are they all defective??? One thing I have learned through all of this is Sweetwater hands down has THE BEST customer service in existence! As of right now, they have paid $355 in shipping costs to get me a working amp, and I have not even got my 3rd amp yet, which will be another $145 in shipping costs for a total of $500 for a $450 amp. Now that is Customer Service. I hope they are billing Marshall for the shipping. If this DSL line was made in the UK instead of Vietnam, I am sure this would be a non issue in QC...then again, they would cost well above $499. My advice to anyone wanting the DSL20CR or DSL20HR would be to buy brand new from Sweetwater. Their Customer Service and return policy is worth it. With all the defects in these units, beware in buying used unless you can try it out first or buy from somewhere where it can be easily returned if need be. In hind site, I should have demanded to return the used combo I bought off of Ebay. The seller gave me $80 back not to return it and get it fixed by Marshall, so I thought all would be fixed, but the popping issue wasn't fixed. I may send it back again to Marshall, if there is a fix for it, but for now I plan to sell it locally after I get a working head.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Funny, I just emailed Sweetwater earlier today asking if they could test a DSL20H before I buy it so I know I’m getting a good one. No response yet.

tce63 and scozz like this.
  8. Deerhunter1972

I would call them. They have answered the phone every time I have called them. They are well aware of the issues with the DSL20 line. They said they will not sell anymore of these units if they are known to be defective.

9. scozz

Man that’s quite a story @Deerhunter1972,....sounds like a bit of frustration I would imagine. Could’ve been a lot worse though, if not for the surperb customer service of both Marshall and Sweetwater.

There seems to be quite a few Dsl20s with problems. This is not the only Dsl20 problem story I’ve heard. I think I’ve read maybe 4 or 5 that complained about the popping when switching channels...and hissing noises, and other things.

I am hoping this thread will be about folks telling how much they love their 20s or how to dial in great tones, you know, things like that! Positive inspiring stuff...

I hope it doesn’t turn into a ‘who’s got the worst Dsl20 problem’,...or problemS thread! :noplease:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  10. Deerhunter1972

Don't get me wrong, the DSL20 is one of the best low watt amps I have ever played in the 40+ years I have been playing. That is why I am being patient and waiting for one that actually works 100%. A $500 amp, in my opinion, should not have any faults. My previous amp was a VOX AC15C1, and I kept feeding it different pedals to get a "Marshall-like" tone. Once, I bought the DSL20, I was hooked. The DSL20 is capable of a lot of classic Marshall tones I have been searching for in a low watt amp without the use of any pedals. I love this amp, and that is why I am going to keep working with Sweetwater and Marshall until I get a working head. I sampled many different brands, and this is THE one I need to have. There is no other EL34 low watt amp at this price that even comes close to the tones this thing is capable of. It is a BEAST!

rolijen, scozz, Len and 2 others like this.
  11. scozz

Now those are the kind of comments I was hoping to hear!

I played a Dsl20 combo at a local music store,...but they didn’t have dedicated rooms to try amps so I couldn’t turn it up too loud.

What I did hear though sounded great, even thru that Seventy 80 speaker that I do not care for.

I have a Dsl1hr that I play thru a 1-12 cab with a G12M-65....and if the 20 sounds anything like that amp turned up, I’m sure I’m going to really enjoy it.

12. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

DSL20h owner.
    I love the little guy so much I use that over my JVM 205 & 410.
    I believe the emulated out works properly...I haven't fully tested it, right now it's connected to mixer my drummer uses for in ear monitoring.

The lead channel is noisier than I'd like, but I run a noise gate in the loop and that alleviates it well.

It's got great tones, I use mine as a single channel...just lead/lots of distortion.

I did put an old Sylvania in V1 and a new tung-sol in V2 to get rid of the fizz and thicken the overall tone a bit.

I can tell you, electrically, the is no cathode follower circuit and the PI is tube driven. So, no worries about using specific tubes in certain spots.

Oh, it likes V-30's.

RobV, Shreddy Krueger, scozz and 2 others like this.
  13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, I have good reports for you, I got a DSL20HR last spring and it was a perfectly working dead quiet specimen. It was perfect, exactly what I wanted, a mini Marshall head with 2 channels and an effects loop, plug and play no pedals required for anything. I rolled a bunch of tubes through it and found that the stock JJ and Shuguang tubes sounded the best in it so there they stayed. I had this guy sounding best through a 2x12 of greenbacks, my only complaint is I didn't like the quality of gain through the red channel it was too compressed for my liking. I had the mids max'd and the bass, highs, resonance and presence at 5. I tried everything in my power to rid the compression without success so with much disappointment the amp went back. My only hope is the schematic materializes at some point and somebody can figure out how to mod it to sound more open and less compressed, I would buy another one in a heart beat! :yesway:

14. kevin s

kevin s Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up brother,I've been wanting to replace my 15H for a 20HR but I'll wait untill they get them fixed and definitely buy from Sweetwater.

15. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Interesting. My Sweetwater guy says he spoke with his Marshall rep and there are no known issues. Sweetwater sells hundreds of these with almost no returns.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  16. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

SiCoul likes this.
  17. scozz

That is good news @pedecamp, it’s nice to know there at least one good Dsl20 out there. :lol:

I remember you saying those things about the amp, and I also recall you mentioning the compression not being to your liking.

pedecamp, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  18. scozz

Alright, another happy Dsl20 owner! I especially like the comment about you using it more often than your 205 and 410!

Deerhunter1972 and tce63 like this.
  19. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I got the DSL20HR in october in Sweden.

Have followed all known bugs of the amp around different forums, to my great joy so works mine perfect and has none of the known errors.

A really great amp, run it through a 1*12 Cab with Celestion G12M-65 Creamback.

20. scozz

Hey @Matt_Krush you seem to know a lot about this amps tubes. I’ve got a question maybe you’d answer for me.

I usually put a 5751 in place of a 12AX7 in my higher gain amps, to tame the gain a bit. Again, usually I put it in the V1 position because, in the other amps I’ve done it with, that’s the position that is for the gain channel only.

It has no affect on the clean channel. Do you think it’s the same with the Dsl20? Is V1 the position I should replace?

Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.