The Marshall Artiste - Why is it so hated?!

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by mile.end.effects, Mar 2, 2021.

1. mile.end.effects

mile.end.effects New Member

The city I live in is in its second month of a government imposed covid curfew on top of a particularly strict lockdown since September. These being the last difficult weeks of winter, everything is getting a bit strange and lonely in my part of the world, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to open up a discussion in the interest of trying to bide some time in a healthy a productive manner...

Anyways, I recently fell down a bit of a forum hole in regards to the Marshall Artiste and I am so confused as to why this amp gets such a bad rap! I guess Id like to open up a discussion because it seems that there is very little to learn online about these amps and what I read is generally of a negative consensus. I know it doesnt necessarily sound like a real 10,000$ plexi or whatever, but to me its an absolutely wonderful sounding amplifier and (obviously in my biased opinion) don't really think it deserves all the hate. I would love to help give others who might be interested in finding an old Artiste an objective and reasonable take on the seemingly controversial old amp.

So, what do you Artiste owners like or dislike about the amp?

Heres my 1972 Artiste with the rest of the fam:

156868717_434495358000813_3458670811318521043_n.jpg

2. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I'm not sure but I've been jonesing for a Bandmaster Reverb lately. I just want to own one.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  3. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

My drummer had one for a couple of months. It wasn't bad, but not my favorite. Pretty clean, and slightly dark for my taste. But I can't really say that they're all like that since it was the only one I tried.

4. Ned B

Ned B Well-Known Member

I played my '73 combo the other day. It is definitely an amp I can make music with and loosely of the Fender ilk. A nice clean, pedal friendly sound. A little more oomph through the non-reverb channel. I think when you judge it as an amp versus a Marshall amp you might judge it more objectively. Maybe it would be a fun shoot out with a Fender Pro Reverb. I'm sure there are ways to hot rod it a bit...maybe a bassman 6G6B circuit or replicate the "ice cube" used with black face and 70's Fender reverbs that harnesses the reverb recovery stage.

neikeel likes this.
  5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The hate ? I reckon it's from the people who think Marshalls need to be gained up to weed eater tone ....and the www.

Its a cool amp....kinda like a Bandmaster Reverb
    Mine came to me broken and with Orange Drops in it ,so I had no qualms about moddin' it up like a 1986
    I supose when I NEED , a project ,I could re-wire it back to stock ,maybe I will

I don't encourage any moddin' though ....just in the interest of Marshall history

6. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

"I reckon it's from the people who think Marshalls need to be gained up to weed eater tone".

Weed Eater Tone......:funny:

DesolationBlvd likes this.
  7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ive heard some absolutely horrible sh*t out of some 2203's , which everyone acts like its the greatest thing since sliced bread ......
    I attribute most of it to, not everyone has a grip on dialing it in ....but sometimes it's the amps

8. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

Okay. My last post of the day. I've had some real crap amps way back when (before the internet) and you had to learn how to dial in the best tone you could. There were no GC's and nothing to order online. No forums, nothing !

We would use moving blankets to muffle cabinets and duct tap on the grille to reduce spikiness, etc. I'm embarrassed to tell all my secrets and was basically just happy to have the electrical service panel not catch on fire. I even had this 100 watt Peavey 6X12 monstrosity with a matching head from hell. I put Pyle Driver Speakers in it, the ones with aluminum cones. Wild Times !

I was renting a farm house in the middle of nowhere and would take it outside and bounce the massive loudness off the barn about 100 feet away. (This is where I learned how to use natural delay). It was GLORIOUS, just like a giant "weed eater" that was about to blow up !

We learned to make stuff work because we had to........apparently a lost art. It wasn't great, but we had fun and learned how to get by.

Rock On !

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    mile.end.effects likes this.
  9. Valvelust

Valvelust Well-Known Member

My guess is it's because it's not one of the "popular" models.

Never owned one so I can't really assess, however I've heard more than once that they actually one of the "unknown secrets" with a great sound at a bargain price tag. I passed one up years ago at about 1/3rd the price of a 2203/2204 and kicked myself ever since!