>

The last great Metallica album.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by ricksdisconnected, Apr 22, 2021.

1. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

any links?

2. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

no hate for Rob, Cliff was the best but my Metallica is with Jason. I found out about Metallica in the 90s when I was in school and at that time they had Jason. he brings a lot of energy and dynamics at live shows, they have not been that energetic like with J. when they did the 30ieth anniversary thing and Jason played it was like the band came back to life from dead.

3. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

I disagree, but it's just your wording. That's their last "Good" album.

[​IMG]

Last great and greatest of all. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I agree. Saw the Justice tour twice. Once at the Omni and later at Lakewood Amphitheater. Crushing sound and power. The Omni almost went into full riot mode during Creeping Death.....DIE!! DIE!! Said the crowd over James's voice. Queensryche was damn good too.

I had no issue with the Black album. What else could they do after the previous masterpieces. RTL, Master and Justice was as good as it got for the genre.

5. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Could be that there was a bit of animosity and tension between the old core of the band (James, Lars and Kirk) and newcoming member Jason, after the tragic death of Cliff Burton.
    Maybe that is why they decided to mute the bass on the album...to show him who's the boss lol :hmm: Who would've known for sure...now everybody can say whatever they want in the retrospect, but the truth might be somewhere else.

The truth is out there (X-Files).:coffee:

P.S. Cliff was a genuine bass player, but I also think that Jason brought some new energy and new cards to the table, he was an important piece of Metallica history the way I see it. I've stopped following them after Load/Reload phase and the concert with Symphony so I never actually got into Rob Trujillo stuff...TBH

6. ricksdisconnected

never could see what the big deal on Cliff was honestly. he didnt stand out in any way imo.
    and that pulling teeth solo, worst crap ive ever heard. Jason rocked.

7. ricksdisconnected

damn i forgot you being a local guy.

Biff Maloy likes this.
  8. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

:facepalm: Whaaat!?

Cliff was awesome. He actually was a major contributor to Metallica's early songwriting. He taught those guys musical theory. He taught them how to harmonize guitars. Kirk and James have both said how much they learned early on from him.

9. ricksdisconnected

i know shoot me now lol. i just found him very basic as a player. :erk:

lespaul339 likes this.
  10. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

:cheers: To each their own. That's what makes us all individuals.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  11. geddy

geddy Active Member

They don't have one?

12. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Another Greatest Metallica thread where everyone forgets Load/Reload exists...

I know, I know....not the Metallica everyone knows and loves, but I feel like those two in particular are quite underrated. The songwriting itself had matured, so to speak. Definitely NOT thrash metal. So what?

13. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

Totally agree, mcblink. Load and Reload are the last great Metallica albums. Actually, it is the Metallica that I know and love. The thrash stuff always sounded like road noise to me--you know, when you are driving down the freeway with the radio blasting and a song comes on an you can't differentiate it from the noise coming from your tires. I appreciate it more now than I did at the time, but I never paid much attention to Metallica before the black album.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

:headbanger:

Love the noise!

15. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'm not such a purist. The Black album was the first Metallica album I really got into. I don't hate ANY of their albums but pre-Black album stuff resonates LESS with me. And I REALLY like Hardwired to Self Destruct. It's my favorite Metallica album since the black album.

I hear elements of both "newest" and "oldest" Metallica in most of their albums. Reload had its moments that sounded like "black album" and others that sounded like "Master of Puppets". Just to name one example.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  16. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

17. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

I would have to agree that "Justice" was their last great album. It was the end of an era, things would never be the same. "Black" album was a very well crafted album and commercially successful, but those raised and weaned on KEA through AJFA definitely had a WTF moment after hearing things like "Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters" for the first time. Then there was that strange Load and ReLoad period when the band changed their sound further and adopted an odd look (once described as "Cuban Pimps.") Yes, those 2 albums have some decent songs, but it really seemed at the time, that the thrill was gone.

Some Kind of Monster/St Anger era was the band at their absolute lowest point artistically and personally, with Jason booted from the band and James fighting demons.

Now here is where it gets interesting: I honestly consider Death Magnetic a return to form. The long songs, thrash, guitar solos and old themes are back. The old Metallica logo is back. One can argue that perhaps it is a bit calculated, but I love it. Except of course for the super hot mastering and audible distortion/clipping on the CD :mad:

Hardwired is good as well, but a bit bloated in my opinion - it would be a more even listen if 3 or 4 songs got cut from the running order and issued later as bonus tracks. Still some great tracks like "Spit Out The Bone", "Moth To Flame", "Atlas rise", "Confusion" etc.

So - something to enjoy from all (most) eras, but for me -the golden era ended in the late 80s.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and Garrett like this.
  18. hazmat7719

hazmat7719 Well-Known Member

I will also vote for And Justice for All as the last good album.

ricksdisconnected likes this.