The Joy of Fundraising....

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Dmann, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Doing a fundraiser gig on Sunday, they have a band every 30 min with 5min alloted for each band to setup and tear down.

Then they sent out this

So then we get the lineup list and while it starts at 12pm noon, we got 10pm slot.

LOL not sure about you all, but in my 30+ years exp doing this not many are coming out on a sunday let alone coming to see you play a 30 min covers set at 10pm on a Sunday night lol.

Our setlist is 7 pop/rock tunes...

- One Way or Another
    - So What!
    - I Love Myself Today
    - Hit me with your Best Shot
    - Gold On the Ceiling
    - I want You to want Me
    - What I Like About You

anyways, I'm trying to decide if I should even bother with pedals for this lol.

would you bother?

JimiRules likes this.
  2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Good luck with that, I'm sure its for a good cause. I think Id bring pedals for into the amp input, just to have something that I can understand to adjust drive and levels given that I wouldn't be familiar with the random amps.

Dmann and JimiRules like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

bring your fractal rig, go into the effects return of their Marshall amp & do your thing... :)...

KraftyBob likes this.
  4. Trapland

Trapland Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.

Unless it was for my best friends medical bills..... I wouldn’t play the gig.

5. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd bring my pedalboard for the reasons JohnH said.

6. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Sounds like a gig with good intentions/purpose, but with sh*tty planning.

Probably it's contrary to what you read around here, but I do not subscribe to the "I'll play anywhere, anytime, any reason, for any compensation (even free)" mentality. I, too, have played out a lot and at this point in my life there are a crap load of other things that demand my attention on a daily basis. The gig has got to make sense, the details have got to be clear, and the logistics have got to be in order or else I go do something else with my time, but that's just me.

@OP: Do what you think is right even if your band mates, fans, other people disagree.

7. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I agree, I didn't want to do this but the 3 other band members voted and well... majority rules.

I did tell them I refuse to do this stuff after this one. It's not worth my time and just puts us in the group of all the other non booked cover band hacks in our area.

My preference is a fri or sat night booking. No other bands. Full setup, soundcheck, and full nights work.

8. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I would bring just a guitar and treat the gig like a practice. Play the songs to your best ability but skip the frills.

neikeel and Dmann like this.
  9. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

A minimalistic gig demands a minimalistic rig, IMHO. Bring just enough to get a decent representation of your sound; and as above, treat it like a short live practice.

10. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Do you have any idea what type of amps will be there?

11. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I agree, take a delay, a cleanish drive and a dirt pedal, maybe a fuzz.
    We play One Way, I use crunch and the solo is pretty clean, same same goes for Gold on the Ceiling.
    I'm sure that you play, you smile, keep it simple, and get down for next band all for a good cause.
    I've played these before, it is nerve racking as you have no sound check and unfamiliar gear and you have no idea who the soundman is, but at least you are not up first (done that too - we were sound check and it was less than fun).

12. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly! Take back your tone!

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  13. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

So I just took my guitar and rightly so. Place was dead, maybe 10 people.... as expected at 10pm on a sunday.

There was a mesa boogie half stack and an evh combo. I chose the evh combo. Omg the previous user had the gain on both channels cranked to 10. To get a usable tone I adjusted the gains down to 3 from 10.

It didn't matter anyways. Sound was a complete wash. Bass was going into a fender head and cab and had a ground hum and that's pretty much all you could hear lol.

We did manage to get all 10 people up on the dance floor for our entire set though!... plus we got an encore so we play "you shook me all night long"

Cheers