The generation gap

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Alligatorbling, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling Well-Known Member

I'm one of the younger guys here (I'm 38) and its a big cultural difference in my generation and yours. Youe generation is moving towards retirement and mine is right in the middle of the rat race.

What are some observations you've made with the generation gap?

I'm starting to see it in the generation younger than me (early 20somethings)

My generation was the last to grow up without internet.

As a little boy we had a 19" tv that got 2 tv channels, sometimes 3. We had no computer must less internet.

Around the age of 11 we got our first computer. By age 12 there were online services available. (Prodigy and AOL) we had Prodigy first then AOL.

So in a way my generation was the very last to grow up without some kind of plug in into the outside world. I remember going to the library. It's kids today that have probably never stepped into a library.

Kids today don't know what it's like to not have a phone in their pocket connecting to virtually everything.

I was born in 1982 so I grew up as a kid in the 90s. I turned 18 in the year 2000 so im the definition of a 90s kid.

What advice do you have for younger generations?

Today's world is so complicated. Kids today are bombarded with information and life choices.

I have a learning disability and had to take remedial classes. They didn't know a lot about learning disabilities back in the day. I feel kind of cheated on my education but I did graduate college with a decent GPA

I remember 9/11 happening when I was in college, many of you guys were long gone out of school and established adults when 9/11 happened. Things like that shape us. Historical events have an impact on everyone differently, mainly because we are all at different points in our lives.

Many of you have grown children and some of you grandchildren. Our little boy is 3.

Its so many factors that make a generation who they are.

For instance. When I was a kid my dad didn't want me playing with dolls. I just got our little boy a bunch of dolls. Not because I want him to be girly but I want him to use them to interact with eachother and grow his imagination.

Our little boy is also bombarded with media, (what we choose to show him) 90% is educational. I didn't have that when I was a kid.

Hes just 3 years old in July and he is FULLY potty trained and will even attempt to wipe his own ass. He speaks in full detailed sentences and will carry on a simple conversation with you.

When I was 3 i was taking shits in the bath tub.

2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm close to the end.

3. Alligatorbling

Dude your a young man.

My idea of "old" changed once I started being a care giver. 93 is old.

"Old" is a state of mind up until you're actually there.

If you have your independence you're not old. You're mature.

Barfly likes this.
  4. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

uhhhh, are you serious, didn't understand learning disabilities, in the 90's? Really? That is when it became vogue to have a learning disability (and every kid of your generation had one...trust me....I raised a child of your generation). My generation never heard of a learning disability, in my generation you just had a bad attitude (smoke a cigarette out on the smoking grounds of high school and cool off, that was how we dealt with issues in my generation). You kids have a therapist for every delusion. Almost every single mental issue can be worked through with one simple matra in mind.....GET OVER YOURSELF, YOU ARE NOT THAT IMPORTANT (when you keep things like that in mind you quit whining and just get on with life.) And yes, I do notice differences in my generation to yours, we were not coddled by our parents for every little thing, we used books to look things up and were told to run around the block to shed excess energy.

5. Alligatorbling

I think YOU are important. You should think so too.

6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Uhm.... maybe flaunt the college diploma instead of the learning disability, then?

Some of us have neither, but I know which one I'd prefer to project in my public image

Marshall Boogie likes this.
  7. Alligatorbling

I am an open book. Its one reason I'm loved by many on Facebook. I get messages all the time thanking me for being so transparent.

8. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

same age here, but I had access to computers since I was very little, my father worked with IT in the 80s. I have never seen myself as a ¨millenial¨ because I really believe in working hard, working smart and then having the recognition for that.

The newer generations I´ve been working with in the last 5 years had this ¨participation medal¨ attitude, but I think with this world crisis they will change and mature a lot.

I don´t mind working with different ages. I had to lead teams of engineers from 25 to 65 years, I had bosses of my age, much older, man, woman... I really like this diversity and knowing how to deal with different people, from different ages and backgrounds. It makes you a more understanding and humane person.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Wasting your time with this, every successive generation has some kind of gap and all the older ones whined about it.

10. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I'm not old.

I'm glad I'm far upon line.

11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

For me, it's hard to discuss generation gap without getting into stereotypes, bias, generalizations, faulty conclusions, pigeonholing, etc.

One detail I'm noticing is the the current current younger generation (20 somethings, as OP alluded to) has a propensity to be more easily distracted. Today's younger generation gravitates towards networking and inter connectivity. To an extent, we could say the same thing about the invention of the telephone or television, but the current younger generation (20 somethings, as OP alluded to) has the potential and preference to take that idea with them everywhere they go. Society (not just American society) has been forced (or programmed) to accept more and more multi-tasking as positive quality. The current younger generation seems more receptive of multi-tasking given their acceptance of mobile connectivity, but it seems the downside is greater susceptibility for distraction/being distracted. Their focus is challenged by what they ingest/consume in the virtual world versus the "real" world (perhaps it's better to say events in the world without cellphone, internet, 5G, networking, blah, blah). And with that potential for distraction is a greater potential for the sacrifice of focus and difficulty staying "on track."

To be careful of avoiding stereotype, generalization, etc., I can't say that every person of the current younger generation is a reflection of my observations, but it (distraction/shifting focus) seems to happen more often than in the previous four or five decades.

12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Humans can not multi task. Those that appear to be able to just have brains that can switch between tasks very rapidly. Ever work with stoned people? My point is moot.

13. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

Reincarnation

14. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

“ALIENS n UFO’S “

15. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I can relate heavily here. 38 also, born in June of '82. I remember having to walk to the nearest house to borrow a phone so I could call someone to come help me when my car broke down. I remember ordering things from catalogs and magazines before there was this thing called "internet". We had a 13" b&w TV, and when it broke, we went several years without one at all. My younger brother and I spent our days doing chores and working around the farm, running around the countryside with our bb guns, riding our dirt bikes all over the place, swinging sticks at friggin' rocks lol anything to entertain us. The only "disability" that I ever had was an innate strong dislike for authority and a natural rebelliousness that brought me both hard times, and sometimes, good times too.

I remember those times fondly. Can't have missed things that we never even had. If I could go back in time and give those things (internet, cellphones, etc) to us back then.......I wouldn't.

My kids are experiencing a very different upbringing than I did for sure.

Another random thought I've always had, is that I've always felt like I was supposed to have been born about 10 years sooner than I actually was.

16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

My youngest son was born in September of 83, we had a 19” color tv in the living room, my daughter had a 12” B/W tv in her room.
    I took my boys hiking, bike riding, shooting, then as they got older dirt bike riding, I lost 2 of my sons , but they were on there way to becoming great men.
    Now my grandsons have different ideas and agendas, but they are also becoming great young men, maybe I am not seeing all of this current crop, but this is my side of the coin.
    Cheers
    Mitch

SHREDNECK, junk notes, Adieu and 2 others like this.
  17. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. Sapient

Sapient Reformed Witchdoctor Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

I feel bad for anyone who did not experience the full '80s or pre to it decades. Not to sound insulting either, it was just a great time where doom and gloom had not exist yet. We weren't a culture of violence back then. Yes, I guess there was violence, but a "culture" of violence is a whole different thing. News was news, not propaganda advocates; there was not this side vs. that side, and Happy Days had not been replaced with Drug addicted reality shows yet. There was the degenerates then to, but they were kept off the grid and out of the mainstream. Then they were known a outcasts, now they are the baked into mainstream culture. It's been this way since the turning of 1990. That was the year any extension of "Peace Love Dove" certainly died forever. Sad.

Now days males think this overaggressive music, culture, and violent mentality is cool. Looking at from an '80s perspective they are really just frustrated from being balled up so tight in a culture knot that ultimately does not include them. It was not always like this ..in fact everything was opposite, believe it or not.

19. Alligatorbling

Kids today have on demand tv 24/7

I remember using a roll of tin foil (which I got in trouble for wasting) and a couple clothes hangers to watch the Simpsons on fox 21. The reception was full of snow but you could still watch it, the sound was full of static but you could still hear it well enough to watch.

We got 13, 7, usually 10 but not always, and we could barley get fox 21 with mentioned tin foil and hangers.

20. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

This sums it up PERFECTLY!

junk notes likes this.