The fishing thread

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
very nice bro.
our streams are slim pickings at the moment. our trout have whirling disease.
not good.
still cant get to the beach to rip it up. striper will be one the moving in a month or so.
Never heard of whirling disease...doesn't sound good.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Thanks! Well, I had to know too so I checked the interweb and this is what I found...No good.
View attachment 96134 View attachment 96135

Oh man...thats not good..at all

Here in our area we had fish with lesions , due to the freshwater runoff via chemicals from ...weird algae , well i have to put the blame on everybody...Fl is a fast growing , fast moving state...just do it we will deal with the after effects later....our resources have been grossly mismanaged now for decades ..

Im sure glad i done the reverse retirement , fished when things were good/bad/changing and made it a lifestyle but being out on that shoreline for all those decades i noticed a steady decline.....what once was a paradise is now a parking lot so to speak ...i have zero regrets , but its sad to see whats happening....i always said dont destroy what you enjoy

Mike

Mourguitars

Reaction score
It was a slow summer for these young kids Sharkfishing on the beach but , they all "finally" got girlfriends...lol so im just waiting on the broken heart calls...anyways this is the only pic i got this summer, the big one that got away

This is a 20/0 circle...ive never like these , i always payed the extra buck and use the big owner Mutu's....i always tell them you can pay now or pay later

These sharks a giant now with the new laws, these hammerheads are 800 to 1200#s now and are common ...dont ever skimp on hooks...period !

Mike

63667.jpeg

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
It was a slow summer for these young kids Sharkfishing on the beach but , they all "finally" got girlfriends...lol so im just waiting on the broken heart calls...anyways this is the only pic i got this summer, the big one that got away

This is a 20/0 circle...ive never like these , i always payed the extra buck and use the big owner Mutu's....i always tell them you can pay now or pay later

These sharks a giant now with the new laws, these hammerheads are 800 to 1200#s now and are common ...dont ever skimp on hooks...period !

Mike

View attachment 98149
WOW!

And I 100% agree. No cheap line, swivels, hooks, reels, poles, anything.

Saving a buck now costs you a fish later.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

Mike

View attachment 98149

yep i use 20's a lot too. i tape mine up though. i use to use SS hooks but quickly got out of that
because of break off's and no chances of the hooks desolving. trying to do my part. :shrug:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
rivers and the likes have the best filtration as long as we dont overload it like we have been doing for 50 yrs now.
And that's why I stay out. The biggest reason I stary out of the saltwater is because it's freakin' COLD up in these parts. Hypothermia in 10 minutes or less.

That means you're not quite as impressive coming out of that water as you were going in.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
And that's why I stay out. The biggest reason I stary out of the saltwater is because it's freakin' COLD up in these parts. Hypothermia in 10 minutes or less.

That means you're not quite as impressive coming out of that water as you were going in.

roflmao

belleswell

Reaction score
Awesome pic bro! Now I need details!

We were fishing for steelhead and browns
jg5javKh.jpg

Baby Lund
jSHPTYEh.jpg

20' Pro V Lund
HYUb9Ynh.jpg

Coleman canoe with electric motor mount.
E8vEcIVh.jpg

Steelhead/Lake Trout
88RXmUAh.jpg

15 lb. steelhead caught trolling with Rapala doctored with blue prism tape.
3tmuX4eh.jpg

Kings caught trolling with lures - Lake Michigan
XjDz18dh.jpg

Ice out Browns. Lake Michigan-Saugatuck Pier
mrfoO7Dh.jpg

------------------------------------------

The day of the snowball incident. This one made the front page of the
Suagatuck newspaper.

We were fishing the piers of the river in the channel at Saugatuck Mi. early one spring (Kalamazoo river), and 5 of us caught our limit of steelhead and brown trout. 5 fish each for a total of 25 of them.

While fishing the north pier that day, a guy came by trolling lures mid day and was headed out into Lake Michigan and managed to catch about 2 dozens guys lines , sinkers and all. As he stopped and turned around at the end of the pier and reeled his lines in , all the while, a couple dozen guys were hollering and shaking their fists at him from both piers who were all trying to fish in the channel.

Lake Michigan still had too much ice to fish on the lake sides of the piers, so everyone was fishing in the channel. He stopped for about 5 minutes and untangled the mess he had reeled in on his lures. He took 10 minutes cutting all the mono off and saving the sinkers. He then cruised back up into the channel , after setting his lines out with lures behind his boat again, and stopped after he got among all of us on both piers.

There were at least 30 of us between both piers, but in that Lake Michigan still had ice on the lake side of the piers, everybody was fishing in the channel. When he stopped in the middle of the channel,he hollered out, "Do you guys want your sinkers back?" That is when the snowballs started flying at him. They were actually ice balls scraped off the pier and thrown at him. In his haste to get away, with lures being trolled behind his boat, he went as fast as he could upstream and proceeded to catch another couple dozens guys lines.

Lines that had just been re-rigged after he cut them off the first time. This time as he went upstream a couple hundred yards, his outboard conked out on him because of all the mono wrapped around his prop. He rowed to shore and was busy cutting this mono off his prop when some angry anglers on the south pier hopped into their small boats and started motoring upstream toward this guy who had made a mess of everybody's line not once, but twice. He had gotten his 60 hp outboard started just in time and left flying upstream as fast as his boat would go.

The two boats that had gone to confront him had much smaller outboards and could not catch up. Later that day when we hopped in our two little boats and made our way back upstream to the boat launch, we were surprised to find a reporter for the local newspaper waiting for us at the boat launch.

We made the front page with pics of our 5 man limit of 25 trout. ( This was back in the 80's when the limit was 5 each. ) along with a pretty accurate article on what had happened. I do not think he will try trolling between the piers again when guys are fishing the channel from both piers.
Oceqkixh.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rescued Seagull

Back in the early 80's, a friend and I were salmon trolling on Lake Michigan. We saw some seagulls diving toward the water off in the distance, which usually means they are diving for bait. Where there is bait the big fish follow. As we trolled toward them , they would normally fly away as we approached in the boat. Imagine our surprise when we saw why they did not fly off. This poor gull had a lure stuck in it's foot and beak with about 50' of mono attached and the gulls were lifting this half drowned birds head out of the water by grabbing the mono and hovering above this guy and lifting his head out of the water. We knew we had to try and save it.

We pulled in all of our lines, some of which had 100 yards of line out and did a big circle back to the bird where we netted it. My bud worked on getting one of the treble hooks out of it's foot, and the other out of its beak, while I reset our lines to continue trolling. It stayed in the boat recovering for about a half hour.

It then saw some other gulls a long way off on the horizon. It was still resting but had climbed onto the side gunnel of the boat we were in and then took off. It flew in a circle around our boat before leaving, as if to say thanks, and then made a bee line for the other birds. As we watched it fly off, we were pretty happy about saving him, and just about the time he was out of eyesight, one of the fishing rods took off with a very large salmon. It was the biggest one I caught that year out of 2 dozen trips to the big pond. It was a very nice sized king salmon. It weighed almost 31 pounds. Cosmic karma for a good deed rewarded.
ktpCHUDh.jpg

Last edited:

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
i rather be 80ft down than in 4ft of water.

Agreed !
Surfers just dont get it. Just waiting to be a statistic.

After Jaws in 1975, Ive been fascinated and terrified since. I dont go near the ocean nor boats on the ocean. That sucks because now Im limited to surfcaster or bridge angler. Spear fishing is out tof the question, everyone pays the taxman.

On a local capecod shark week episode (Greg something) scientist) they filmed a 20' 5000-6000+ lb monster, 500 feet from shore (beach) just trolling for seals. Not knowing that bus was right there while everyone is swimming is both omnimous and horrific. Imagine the fn wake from that thing chasing you down. They claim they are just doing their thing.lol K.

No thanks

Last edited: