The fishing thread

belleswell

Reaction score
love those chrome JS guitars. they look so......Silver Surfer as intended.

oh man, i love fly fishing. a 3WT is a blast here in Ga bro. 5WT being the normal
weapon of choice. we have some great trout streams here and we boast to have the
farthest south natural trout fishery in the US.
there are places on the rivers where you can go pay $400 for 2.5 hrs of a guided only trout trip.
the river is damned on both ends of the section of stream and patroled regularly.
OH HELL NO i aint paying that kind of money. barbless hooks and no keeping your catch.
i get it but its a game for the rich. best day ive ever had on the water was 130 plus trout in 4 hrs.
havent come close since. may fly, blue wing, the fly formally known as prince (super badass fly)
adams being the flys of that trip. me, i like wet flys. not many choose those here to use.
cool pics too by the way.
Thanks Rick. There are a few areas in some of our better trout streams where catch and release with barbless is mandated, however most are not. The angler makes the choice to keep or not. Most do the right thing on a natural trout stream and release.

Michigan is blessed with an abundance of lakes, rivers, streams, and even a beaver dammed brook can be
a jewel for brook trout. I love exploring smaller creeks in northern Mi for these hidden gems. Years ago, before they tried to reintroduce grayling back into some of our trout streams, a species that supposedly has been extinct in Mi since the late 1800's, we found a few on a small creek that had 3 major beaver dams. Some of these damns were ancient and huge. The beaver activity with dropped trees was very notable wading in for about a mile walk through some very thick terrain. Mosquitos and flies were bad. But when we found the pools these beaver dams had created, we were in brook trout heaven.

The gent who lived in the area and turned us on to his secret spot had told us of two different grayling
that he had caught there. One was just over 10", was an albino. Released of course. That day my bud caught another about 12" that proved he wasn't lying about the grayling. This was back in the late 70's and the State had not yet tried to re-introduce them. In the late 80's and early 90's our DNR tried to re-establish a population of grayling that would bring them back. The project failed. The area they planted these was nowhere near that small stream we had hiked into. Extinct in Mi since the late 1800's. Not true. Very rare and scarce, but not extinct.

Lake Mi, or some of our rivers that flow into the great lakes get amazing runs of trout, and they are big. If I keep a trout or two, it's usually from fishing in the surf of Lake Michigan, or one of rivers that has a run of them coming up from the big lake. When trolling on the big pond, I also keep some for the smoker. There is some natural reproduction in some of our better streams and rivers, but most of the trout caught fishing the great lakes are planted. The same story for our salmon. There is some natural reproduction, but most are planted.

With the garden finally finished. * (60' x 120') It's huge. I'm now getting ready to catch a few bluegills and perch on some local lakes. My baby Lund has been bugging me to go fishing. It's time.

"I am haunted by waters" A River Runs Through It

Some pond pics

Three very good anglers

Kingfisher
eiePrY5h.jpg

Great Blue Heron
BWvTTafh.jpg

Eagle
QBRi7Qzh.jpg

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Thanks Rick. There are a few areas in some of our better trout streams where catch and release with barbless is mandated, however most are not. The angler makes the choice to keep or not. Most do the right thing on a natural trout stream and release.

Michigan is blessed with an abundance of lakes, rivers, streams, and even a beaver dammed brook can be
a jewel for brook trout. I love exploring smaller creeks in northern Mi for these hidden gems. Years ago, before they tried to reintroduce grayling back into some of our trout streams, a species that supposedly has been extinct in Mi since the late 1800's, we found a few on a small creek that had 3 major beaver dams. Some of these damns were ancient and huge. The beaver activity with dropped trees was very notable wading in for about a mile walk through some very thick terrain. Mosquitos and flies were bad. But when we found the pools these beaver dams had created, we were in brook trout heaven.

The gent who lived in the area and turned us on to his secret spot had told us of two different grayling
that he had caught there. One was just over 10", was an albino. Released of course. That day my bud caught another about 12" that proved he wasn't lying about the grayling. This was back in the late 70's and the State had not yet tried to re-introduce them. In the late 80's and early 90's our DNR tried to re-establish a population of grayling that would bring them back. The project failed. The area they planted these was nowhere near that small stream we had hiked into. Extinct in Mi since the late 1800's. Not true. Very rare and scarce, but not extinct.

Lake Mi, or some of our rivers that flow into the great lakes get amazing runs of trout, and they are big. If I keep a trout or two, it's usually from fishing in the surf of Lake Michigan, or one of rivers that has a run of them coming up from the big lake. When trolling on the big pond, I also keep some for the smoker. There is some natural reproduction in some of our better streams and rivers, but most of the trout caught fishing the great lakes are planted. The same story for our salmon. There is some natural reproduction, but most are planted.

With the garden finally finished. * (60' x 120') It's huge. I'm now getting ready to catch a few bluegills and perch on some local lakes. My baby Lund has been bugging me to go fishing. It's time.

Some pond pics

Three very good anglers

Kingfisher
eiePrY5h.jpg

Great Blue Heron
BWvTTafh.jpg

Eagle
QBRi7Qzh.jpg
better fishermen they ever could be and not 1 red cent on rod/reel lol.
oh but it is a pleasure watching them work.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

Some pond pics

Three very good anglers

Kingfisher
eiePrY5h.jpg

Great Blue Heron
BWvTTafh.jpg

Eagle
QBRi7Qzh.jpg
yeah the Chattahoochee river just below the Lanier dam is a repopulater brown trout fishery.
we use to stock it but with careful management we have gotten the browns to reproduce.
its amazing. the water coming out of the damn is between 48-52 deg yr around.
we have some good lakes and ponds here in Ga but not a damn one of them are natural.
blew my mind to learn that. what i wanna learn is walleye fishing. we have them in the bigger lakes
but ya gotta be in a boat and "lucky" to catch one. i dont know anybody that targets them.
we use them to control the blue back herring population.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
In the 80's i went to vist my father in Ga Rick...so i went Trout fishing. I went out on a big rock to where i seen a big trout eating something on the backside of the rock...next thing i know i was ( Fly Fishing) and the biggest rattlesnake ive ever seen was wanting to get on that rock with me ...

That Buggy whip of a rod was my only weapon...was no match for that snake...i let him have that rock...

That summer my dad hooked me up with some friends on the Tenn state line to go rock fishing from a damn...we went at night and they were all shined up/ smoked up...i was in the middle of nowhere and we pulled up to the bank of the damn and shined light and i swear....the ground moved with snakes ...i was scared to get out

Im come the hills of Tenn but ...those crazy country boys about midnight started jumping off the damn and climbing up them rocks...i was so glad to be back home after that night...lol

Gheez....give me the beach anytime....thats the last time i went freshwater fishing !

Lol

Mike

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
In the 80's i went to vist my father in Ga Rick...so i went Trout fishing. I went out on a big rock to where i seen a big trout eating something on the backside of the rock...next thing i know i was ( Fly Fishing) and the biggest rattlesnake ive ever seen was wanting to get on that rock with me ...

That Buggy whip of a rod was my only weapon...was no match for that snake...i let him have that rock...

That summer my dad hooked me up with some friends on the Tenn state line to go rock fishing from a damn...we went at night and they were all shined up/ smoked up...i was in the middle of nowhere and we pulled up to the bank of the damn and shined light and i swear....the ground moved with snakes ...i was scared to get out

Im come the hills of Tenn but ...those crazy country boys about midnight started jumping off the damn and climbing up them rocks...i was so glad to be back home after that night...lol

Gheez....give me the beach anytime....thats the last time i went freshwater fishing !

Lol

Mike
yeah mike they hang out on the river too. see them crossing all the time. gotta be careful in float tubes and kayaks. cooperheads are even worse. they let ye get within 3 inches before they strike.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Some one sent me this they found on the net....wow what a blast from the past !

6ft...100# 27 inch waist no shirt or shoes wearing some Birdwell beach britches , gotta love the 70's ! Was driving down to the Juno pier at 16...had a 10' shark rod with a 12/0 and a spinning rod to catch bait with...all ya needed !

We done the running man to set the hook back then ...we would live bait a big cuda or if we got a bonita in quick enuff ..hook it in the back and it would swim straight out...we called it free baiting back then, some of the palm beach lingo...lol

Mike

juno7.jpg

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
damn it mike i wish i had some. havent been fishig in a long while now. life so damn busy man.
im greatful for this thread as it keeps me at least in pics and good company.

RIGHT !

I sneak in here, troll if you will all the time.
One of the best threads, hands down.

belleswell

Reaction score
Pics. Did someone say pics. Ask and ye shall receive.

Five Browns - Lake Michigan - Caught on smelt
A0nvN4xh.jpg

Largemouth jumping
s5D1xOlh.jpg

Feeding the hybrid bluegills
l22xwmsh.jpg

Trolling lures - Lake Michigan - Salmon and Trout
agUU7eQh.jpg

Pond Perch
qqOsRxrh.jpg

Bluegill Bed
0NLfK6wh.jpg

Lake Michigan - Trout - Steelhead and Lake Trout
dvUrDDQh.jpg

Lake Michigan - King Salmon - 31 lbs - good old days
shwmKhgh.jpg

Another nice King
Gdubw16h.jpg

Anise Oil
RxzBD4Vh.jpg

12 + Crappie Measured Six Inches At A Time
gvxiLuIh.jpg

Steelhead - Stoney Creek - Lake Michigan Tributary - Lake Michigan in background
n29CKoth.jpg

Antique Record Reel - Early 50's
cwxVvRMh.jpg

Alvey reels for long distance casting - My personnel best with a stiff dipsy diver rod,
used for trolling Lake Michigan, along with a 2 oz weight and 6 lb test was just shy of 500'. It would
go much farther if I use a rod designed for long distance casting with very large eyelets and
just a few of them on a longer stiff action surf casting rod. The world record for an Alvey is
quite a bit farther, but was done using a very stiff rod, 4 oz weight, and the rod had just a few oversized
eyelets. The beauty and simplicity of these reels is they rotate 90 degrees in the reel seat for casting, (an
open face large spool of line), that can then be rotated back 90 degrees to a reel that sits on the reel
seat similar to a fly reel.

Ywlvqzih.jpg

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Nice pics !

That lake or Pond is super super clear and nice Spec ! .....we call them Spec's down here

The 9 years i done rod and reel repair i never worked on that Reel in that pic...ive restored lots of antiques since the shop was around since 1949 and always serviced reels so we had almost every part in stock...my gosh, we had every part for the ole Mitchell reels and old Ambassador....made life easy having in stock !

There Penn Reel invoices that i found was there Customer account number 0009...i had every schematic for every reel made, they lost all them in the back to back hurricanes that hit us back in 04-05 due to roof damage ...

Those Avery reels were cool and man they casted far...they just didn't catch on here in Fl

Stren Line back then had casting contests...the guys my age now were traveling up and down the east coast and over to Texas for the competitions ...most use modded Ambassadors 700 or 7000... ( im getting old i should know that info)....but they used a long rod imported out of Texas i think it was a Zipflex or something ...but they used the pendulum swing casting

I miss those days traveling up and down the coat meeting and picking these guys brain for info that we read about them in the 5-6 Fishing mags we would read about them in ! Lol

Going down memory lane...thats all we got when we get to a certain age...memories !

Find the time and go wet a line !

Mike

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Well, the water was too choppy in the wind was blowing really hard, sideways rain too, so I didn't get to go out today. Bummer to get up at 4:30 and get derailed.

Oh well. It's just the start of the season here for salmon and crab, and the weather is notoriously crappy in these parts for 4th of July weekend.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no recent pictures, but wanted to share something. All pictures from fishing in lake Vänern in Sweden some years ago. This lake is about the same size as Lake Winnipegosis in CA.

#1 and 2: Pike perch, I think the biggest is about 3 kg (and there is a small perch as well). Pike perch is my favourite fish to eat. Fishing is best around midsummer (this time)

#3 and 4: Salmon, 6 and 8 kg IIRC. These wild salmons taste so much better then the frozen ones in the store. In Vänern you are only allowed to land planted fish. They cut away one of the fins before release. A salmon that still got the fin is "native" and must be released back. Heavy fines if you're caught landing one. Fishing is best late winter, when the water has got cold, late january-february. Salmon puts up quite a fight. (The deck is quite gross, this is a charter boat)

Vänern pike perch a.JPG Vänern pike perch b.JPG Vänern salmon a.JPG Vänern salmon b.JPG