The First Gibson-Approved (But Not Gibson-Branded) Boutique Guitars Are Available Now

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by BanditPanda, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Fierce_Carrot

Fierce_Carrot Member

I may be getting too old and losing my mind but isn't Epiphone the Gibson approved guitar? I've had more Gibsons than I can remember over the decades and finally got sick and tired of their quality issues. I had the chance about 20 years ago to play an Epi Korina 58 Flying V and it absolutely knocked me out. Far and away the best playing guitar I had run across from Gibson in a long time. I foolishly traded it and just this year made it my mission to track another one down, and I did, along with a 58 Korina Explorer, so I now have the twins. I've changed out the hardware and pickups and these two are just kick ass guitars at a fraction of what Gibson branded 58 reissues would cost.

A couple of years ago I read a series of articles about Michael Kelly guitars and did some research and didn't find one single review with anything negative to say, so I bought a Patriot Vintage off Reverb and it took by breath away. Here was a $400 guitar with stunning beauty, high quality parts, and played every bit as good as my best Les Paul did, so I decided to buy a MK strat, and same outcome! I ended up selling all my high dollar Gibsons, Fenders, and custom made models, and now have 6 different Michael Kelly's along with the 2 Epiphones. I don't have $5000 invested in the entire group and they are the best I have ever owned. Try finding a Gibson brand 58 Korina Explorer Reissue for $5k!

In today's world, if you do some research, you can find incredible instruments for the money. Same with amps. What Ceriatone has accomplished is nothing short of incredible.

2. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

OK--wow! This post cannot be left alone to fade into oblivion! Please share what you remember about playing such a rare & exciting original Gibson Explorer! I would love to 'hear' your experience of such a rare privilege!

paul hancher likes this.
  3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

wntbtw likes this.
  4. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

where do they get these carpets and mats from , a 50's boutique carpet sale - with a never been pissed on by a dog gaurantee

5. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

6. Wildeman

My friend i used to jam with was also a low level dealer and middle man, he knew alot of heavy hitters though and one day he calls me and says " you gotta get over here tonight" wouldn't tell me why but was pretty insistent. I got my ass over there and was greeted by a '58 Explorer and a '68 Super 400 CESN that were there till the buyer came over the next day. I played that Explorer for hours and it was killer too! Super light and resonant with the beautiful PAF'S just singing through my Bronson amp. I also got to play an even rarer, absolutely gorgeous 1940 blond ES 250 Charlie Christian at another time over there.

paul hancher and wntbtw like this.
  7. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your post, seeing that original Explorers are so rare in every regard, that to actually play one is very special--very cool for you! Do you remember if it had a large neck? I have spoken to a few who have & they have all told me that yes it was huge but in a comfortable way. Thank you again for posting! Always love to hear what those cool Explorers were all about--they`re the coolest guitars on the planet imho!

8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Ive had one for about a dozen years , dont need two.I just posted that as a PSA

Cooler than a Rocket Roll Sr (ASH) IMO

wntbtw and Wildeman like this.
  9. Wildeman

It was a nice handful, not super big......i feel so dirty:thumb:
    I wish i took pic's but that was in the pre-phone cam ages.

wntbtw likes this.
  10. Wildeman

Some Korina goodness for you lot.

wntbtw likes this.
  11. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

I think Gibsons are over priced to begin with and in no way would I ever pay over four grand for a guitar. That's Frickin rediculous! I think Gibson is panicking because there are so many other guitar makers making quality guitars at a much better price point. I don't buy into the whole boutique thing anyway. Pedals, guitars, amps, it just a way to get more money out of people. I have tried pedals for example side by side and the boutique pedals did not sound better and there wasn't enough to even notice the difference. Besides the only person who cares about this is the player. The audience could give a poo. It's like owning a Lamborghini, it's really cool and very expensive but, where the hell are you actually gonna drive it?

wntbtw likes this.
  12. wntbtw

wntbtw Well-Known Member

But dude! Have you ever played an Explorer??? It doesn`t have to be made by Gibson! They`re HUGE guitars both in 'body mass' as well as 'body TONE'!! And they ROCK as well as any guitar imho! If you ever play one then you`ll never be the same! :dude:
    [Here`s some 'garage junk' for you! It is not an original Explorer nor is it mine--it belongs to my friend. But it`s so much fun to play!]