The dsl joey mod thread

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by TwinACStacks, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

He found a better forum to hang out at.

Razvan S. likes this.
  2. Zentoorama

Zentoorama New Member

Good day to everyone! Since there are newer dsl models, can someone transcribe those mods for DSL 100-60-00 iss1 boards?
    I have a schematic for thease.

3. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

These wouldn't translate to the newer versions of DSLs. This is for the original JCM2000 versions.

Micky likes this.
  4. Zentoorama

Zentoorama New Member

Definately would. Couse I watched schematic and found a looot of common in both amps. Actually I will make a post of changes a little bit later. Changes remain the same, but number of parts that needs to be changed is different. Consider that changing c19 in a new model is the same as changing c12 in an old model. And so on.

5. Zentoorama

Zentoorama New Member

Done all joey mods on a new amp except that what is wrote in green, and "choke" part. The amp sound brilliant after those mods!

Sapphire Sounds likes this.
  6. Zentoorama

Zentoorama New Member

7. Micky

This schematic is nothing new. It is, and has been commonly available for over 5 years now. Comparing this to the previous JCM2000 version yeilds several significant differences, not lending the new version to bode well with the older JoeyMods.

It might be best for you to implement the mods you desire at your own risk, and then post the results in a new thread. But then again, I am sure that if you do the research, especially on the DSL40c Info thread you will find many of the same or similar mods already documented.

8. Zentoorama

Zentoorama New Member

OK transcription I promised before.
    All values of condensers and resistors stay the same.
    white is for JCM2000 Green is for DSL 100H

Front Board:

NOTE: THESE MODS AFFECT THE RED LEAD 2 MODE ONLY (removing C12 will also darken Lead 1)

1M Resistor from Wiper to Ground on Vr3 **** VR 3
    C12 Lower to 150pf or REMOVE (I removed it) C19
    C10 replace with .0022 uf C23
    R20 Remove and JUMPER R26

Mainboard:

NOTE: THESE MODS AFFECT ALL CHANNELS/MODES

C9
    - C11 replace with 1000pf (.001uf) 500V
    C12 -
    C12 replace with 1uf 63V

Here is a Link for the Caps:

MKS2-1/63/5T WIMA Polyester Film Capacitors

Now if You find that the overall texture of the amp is, or has become too dark:

Mainboard:

Replace R30 - R42 (470k)with 68k to 220k resistor this will Decrease the Fizziness and the OVERALL GAIN as well and also brighten the Amp. I personally Piggybacked, (using a pair of test leads), a range of resistors across the Legs of R30 from 82k to 1M and decided I liked 1M the Best. This brought the Value of R30 to 320k. I then soldered it in place across the legs of R30. This way it is easily changed if I decide on a different value without pulling the PIA Mainboard!!! This particular Mod is pretty much season to taste. One of the Techs or Myself can figure out what value you need for "Piggybacking", or you can try and figure it out yourself:

R1XR2 Divided By R1+R2= the Total resistance of Both Resistors combined. Use the Value of R30 (470)k for R1 and the resistor You want to try as the value for R2. (Try: 82k, 120k, 220k, 330k, 470k and 1m)

Also if You find that the Green CRUNCH Mode is too boomy especially with the deep switch engaged:

Frontboard:

C8 - C6 replace with .001uf to .0022uf (I used .0015uf)

Here's a link: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EpiMZZMsh%2b1woXyUXjyBw8LYChpgf%2bpPFAhHPmAM=

Robert Hughes likes this.
  9. Zentoorama

Zentoorama New Member

Already done that. Everything works. But I didnt find ANY info for this particular amp.
    All I could find was C19, and nothing else.

10. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

The problem I find, is that the disparity between Green and Red channels with the new versions of DSL100h and the very new DSL100hr, aren't there like the old ones. The JCM2000 DSL and the newer versions of DSL100h and 100hr sound so much different that I'd be super hard pressed to even try these mods.

11. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to straighten out my mind here on this question.

On the first post TwinACStacks stats the mods listed will work on these two boards JCM2 60-02 iss5 (Tube) AND JCM2 61-00 iss1 (Front). I opened up my amp and only have one main (large) board stamped Marshall DSL100-60-00 Issue 1 (picture attached). This board also has V1-V4 on it. There is only one other vary same board attached to this one.

So my question is what board would this actually be considered, I am assuming the “Front” but would like verification so I can move forward with the mods and to also replace R79, 81 and 106 since I will be converting the power tubes to 6550.

I have also attached two other pictures showing some of the resistors mentioned in the first post.

Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  12. Micky

Joey Mods only pertain to the JCM2000 series DSL.

13. Exojam

Exojam Well-Known Member

Thanks Micky.

So it looks like I just need to do the three resistors for the new tubes. Easy enough.

14. Mark Simon Hell

Mark Simon Hell New Member

so.. only a video (on youtube) about this mod.. any soundclips?
    thanx

15. Parkerx02

Parkerx02 New Member

C8 replace with .001uf to .0022uf (I used .0015uf)… What does this do?