The day i got to use a '65 JTM45 and '59 Bassman at full volume

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm suspecting it may have a little to do with the low angle of the camera and each of the cabinets projection. The B cab's baffle has a slight upward angle, and the camera may be missing some of that.

StingRay85

Reaction score
Fender is also a superior amp compared to jtm45, let's not forget that. G12m speakers perhaps lower efficiency than the 10" speakers in the Bassman? Could easily be a 3dB difference

neikeel

Reaction score
The 45 did not seem crisp or punchy to me and old valves could be the difference. Admittedly at 10 on the dial they can flub out if not 100%

Goodguy

Reaction score
Used to own reissues of both of these amps. Hate to admit on this forum, but after extensive comparisons. ... I sold the Marshall. They sounded very similar in tonality but the Bassman 4x10 has a magical resonant quality.
The Bassman felt like the whole cabinet and amp were so perfectly tuned to sound like one organic unit - like the whole thing was alive.
The Marshall sounded like the sound was coming out of the cabinet instead of the the whole amp coming to life and resonating. Both great but Bassman is magical
Essentially you have to "play" the JTM but with the Bassman.... it plays you.

Last edited:

Derrick111

Reaction score
I'm suspecting it may have a little to do with the low angle of the camera and each of the cabinets projection. The B cab's baffle has a slight upward angle, and the camera may be missing some of that.
Exactly! A more fair comparison would be properly miced rather than a camera at an angle. One is a closed back, the other is open back which will have a lot to do with this as well. Plus, the room is a concrete caver which can do nasty things. That's not to say this isn't cool at all, just to point out why they might sound the way they do. I learned this working in a studio.

ssolo8

Reaction score
A bit random however the opportunity presented itself to sit two grail amps side by side in a relatively empty workshop and turn them all the way up. Excuse the sloppy playing as I've not really played much in the last year but you don't pass on these chances........

The perfect comparison! This is the beginning of it all! The Genesis comparison.

ssolo8

Reaction score
A bit random however the opportunity presented itself to sit two grail amps side by side in a relatively empty workshop and turn them all the way up. Excuse the sloppy playing as I've not really played much in the last year but you don't pass on these chances........

I can see why Jim had to invent the Marshall. The Bassman is good, but the Marshall is better.
The amps sound similar, Fender is just brighter and smaller. Thanks for this. I thought I needed a Bassman until I saw this. Thank you.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
....and a few days later, the Model 1959 Superlead was first played cranked through a pair of Marshall 4x12s loaded with 20 watt Greenbacks. This was the moment that hard rock was born. Before there was rock....but this was HARD rock. A new paradigm was born.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

Nice , not long ago I had the chance everyday to play in a metal building. Even recorded my buddies drums with the guitar. I really miss that.

yladrd61

Reaction score
To be fair it's old mullards and GEC's in the JTM45 which may very well be passed their best. Caps etc read ok but probably aren't that efficient 50 od years down the line. Saying that the Bassman is all original other than the valves. I've found all my JTM45's tend to be on par with old Vox AC30's volume wise when both are cranked. Believe it or not the Bassman isn't much quieter than a 70's super lead in terms of outright volume.
What valves are you running in the Bassman ?

Brewski

Reaction score
glad you had a great time and enjoyed it! to me - not my cup of tea in fact i had jtm45 and absolutely hated its sound so much i foolishly sold it for $300.00. heard the Bassman many times - also not a fan. BUT - I’m not a classic tone fan - i like the jcm800 and i have the 2007 evh 5150 iii 100w el34 with matching cab and that’s more my thing with a touch of overdrive, reverb and delay. to each his own for sure

AndyD

Reaction score
Thanks for making the effort to do this comparison. I think it’s always a tough thing to do. In a band situation they could sound completely different. In this instance , the Bassman sounded sweet…..especially with the natural reverb of the warehouse.

CptZar

Reaction score
Great video!
I think it's the recording....the bassman is way louder.

yladrd61

Reaction score
There is a good reason why Jim Marshall copied most of the circuit topology of the Fender Tweed 5F6A Bassman in the JTM 45 and the 5F8A Twin in JTM 45/100 they were great sounding amps, and the early Marshall Plexi amps sounded very similar to those late '50s Fender Tweeds.

playloud

Reaction score
Quite possibly but its also a bass one so that may have an impact? The Bassman is also much, much louder than the JTM45 as well.

This sounds like the smoking gun for the JTM45 not being 100%. Yes, the Celestions are less efficient speakers, but a volume difference like that in the room doesn't sound right.

Great playing OP!

Derrick111

Reaction score
Time for a trem vs Block logo clip;)
Yes please. With so many huge artists having used the Supertrem in the 60s and people assuming it was a Superlead, and with the serious lack of any decent Supertrem demonstrations, I have thought about doing this. Some people say the trem wasn't so great in them, or just regurgitate what others have told them or read on the internetz, but it think it's time. Especially given that Beck, Townshend, Hendrix, and Clapton all relied on the Supertrem for a significant part o their Marshall usage.

michelebis

Reaction score
I think many of you can’t recognize the jtm45 as many don’t know 20 watters.. they are warmer and less crisp sounding than later t1221. Also less loud.. even if that jtm45 is not at its best probably

Latest posts