The Class 5 is a wonderful little amplifier

michibarchen

Reaction score
Well, isn't it? I'm just showing some love for an amp that doesn't get much affection or attention. Have you played one? Better yet - do you own one? If so, what do you love about yours?

I picked up a Class 5 head recently and I adore it. It's simple, sounds splendid with a Strat and stands apart in the lineage of Marshall amps with a nod to its history. For what it does, it does exceedingly well. And for what it doesn't do - who cares? If you picked up a Class 5, odds are you aren't that kind of player anyway.

The Class 5 is its own thing. It has Class A circuitry, a few tone controls and a volume knob. And that's it. It's just you, your guitar and very little else between what you express through your instrument and the speaker that projects your sound. Feeling vulnerable? Ah, yes. The Class 5 demands it. And isn't that what we have come to admire about our favorite Marshalls?

Now that's not for everyone, to be sure. And to that end, the Class 5 head was eclipsed almost immediately by all the mini Marshall heads that succeeded it. But for the tone purist at heart, this mighty, unrelenting and gritty little amp is a wonderful addition that belongs heartily to the Marshall lineage.

Pictured: Marshall Class 5 head into an 8 ohm Celestion G12 M Greenback speaker. When it's attenuated, I use a Weber MiniMass.
Resized.jpg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNAD!
Have you played one? Better yet - do you own one? If so, what do you love about yours?
Played one, had one.
Definitely has a tone all its own.
Works better with singles and a boost than humbuckers - imo.

Loved the ridiculous deal I got on it, and I loved how much the prices skyrocketed.
Sold it at the start of a gear purge, and bought a bunch of other gear. :shrug:

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
I’ve got a class 5 combo in cream. It’s one of the “Sam ash limited edition run” amplifiers

It was the first tube Marshall I ever owned so while I am thinking of selling other gear to buy an older Marshall that class 5 stays even though I have a ‘57 champ I use for “low volume use”. The champ doesn’t rock out at as low as a volume as this class 5 on the low power mode.

The class 5 is a dark amp so it always worked out great that I like using bright single coil Strats and telecasters. Haven’t tried humbuckers with it but if you have something balanced and relatively low output like a Burstbucker I, II, or ‘57 classics then it should make for a wonderful sound to throw pedals at.

Cranking the amp makes the lows a bit flubby at least with the stock combo speaker but through a better 1x10, 1x12, or 4x12 this amp was serious bang for the buck till prices jumped up. I guess that means I could easily sell it for more than what I bought it for but sometimes I feel like throwing a fuzz face and vox wah at it and it makes for a far woolier sound than any other amp I have

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I MISS my Class5h!

It was my first tube Marshall and what lead me to this forum about 10 or 11 years ago. I have nothing but fond memories of that amp and kinda kick myself for ever letting it go but in my defense I had then just acquired a vintage 2204.

I remember how thick and wooly, almost fuzz like it got when cranked, a sound I truly love. It definitely got flubby with too much bass but dialed in it fattened up strats perfectly.

I found a little song idea I recorded likr 1o years ago, with the Class5 cranked and some overdub with a wah... I am not using a fuzz.

I'd love to pick up another one but I can't quite commit to the prices I commonly see them going for... Some day I'll get another one.

colchar

Reaction score
I had a couple of the combos and they were OK.

Now that I have an attenuator, if I could find a C5H at a good price I'd snag it and run it through my 2x12 with that attenuator. I am betting it would sound great and would be cheaper than my other Marshall options.

jmp45

Reaction score
My 2010 Class 5 sounds much better now it's broke in. I'm hoping the Origin 5C will do the same but I'm not holding my breath.

front.jpg

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Congratulations!

I bought a brand new 50th Anniversary Class 5 Combo back in 2012 for $225 from GC. Probably the best $225 that I’ve ever spent. I really liked the amp in the .1 watt mode with an OD pedal.

Sold that amp about 5 years ago (still in mint condition) for $350. Sold it because I just bought a Marshall 1974x and didn’t feel I needed two EL84 amps.

I recently bought a (still) new in-a-box C5 Head. I paid considerably more this amp than my original C5 Combo.

Very cool and underrated amps.

325763B1-5B9B-416F-B1FD-07466DCE280F.jpeg ECBC4B64-7436-4787-8394-7B8631F885D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
My 2010 Class 5 sounds much better now it's broke in. I'm hoping the Origin 5C will do the same but I'm not holding my breath.

front.jpg
My Origin 5c sounds pretty decent now I've re-housed it in an old VS112 1 x 12 cab. The amp isn't the issue it's the box size and 8" speaker. I still think it sounds better than the Class 5 combo I had.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I used to have a Class 5 head. I sold it a while back along with my 2203. I kind of regret selling both amps, but only a little bit because I ended up getting a Gibson Hummingbird with some of the money I got out of selling those amps. I use the Hummingbird more than I used the amps. My main amp is my JTM 45. It provides everything I need. That being said, I always enjoyed my Class 5 though. I even used it to record an album with my old band. Great little amps.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I’ve had two in the past. Such a thick sounding amp. Lovely and loud at home too. Sold the last one to fund something else and I’ll probably get another down the road.
This one I modified with a master volume. Worked really good and don’t understand why it couldn’t come like this stock. Was an easy mod and very cheap. Made a big profit selling it on as was now able to play full gain and tame it some.

Swipe for mods

FennRx

Reaction score
I’ve owned mine since the beginning but I do not like it.

EL84 amps just aren’t my thing maybe?

2203xman

Reaction score
Had one of the first ones.Waited a long time to recieve it.Beautiful combo,but had a really muddy bottom end.Sent it back.