The Best Vintage Cabinets

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by C-Man, Apr 7, 2018.

1. C-Man

C-Man New Member

Who do you guys think builds the best vintage Marshall replica cabinets? I am looking to have something built for me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Sourmash builds good stuff.

Mather Cabinets also has a good reputation.

If you want something loaded already, Germino builds great stuff. I don't have a Germino cabinet but I have one of his amps and it's a work of art.

C-Man likes this.
  3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

If you can find one of my old Scumback 412's that would be a good choice. Since I'm between cab builders Swanson Cabinets and Stone Age make good cabs that are new.

Michocaster and C-Man like this.
  4. FutureProf88

By the way man those handles I bought from you are tops. The cab I put them in is apparently no longer square after 40-something years, so proper application of brute force was required to get everything to fit. :lol: They're lovely now that they are installed now and I'm considering popping some in my 1960BX before the plastic ones snap.

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  5. C-Man

C-Man New Member

Thank you guys! I am looking along the lines though of a 2 x 12 or a 4 x 12 of a smooth tolex ala ‘64 and below JTM45. There doesn’t seem to be too many options out there. I am looking for a very detailed replica. It does not have to have logos. BUT a friend of mine has a Scumback 4 x 12 and it is awesome.

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  6. FutureProf88

Mather does custom cabinets. For instance, I've heard that they do the 412 Tall cabinets for Hendrix style stacks. In that case they would definitely be the people I would call.

Mojotone also has the offset headshell, so I would also ask them about the JTM style 412.

Metroman likes this.
  7. C-Man

C-Man New Member

I’ll give Mather a try! Just shot them an email. The problem is getting the smooth tolex or “Rexine” right, I don’t think too many people have access to the right stuff. Swanson gets close, but I want further accuracy. I am also waiting to hear from Kerry Wright, but his cabinets cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    FutureProf88 likes this.
  8. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

LOVE my Mather Oversize TVB cabinet.

Also used EC Collins Pinstripe cloth, and 4 original Pulsonic G12H/75hz from 72.

I use mine with a LTD ED Metro GMP45 head/NOS everything tube related.

The cabinet is 1000% perfect in every way. I couldnt be happier with it. The void free Birch was perfectly Void Free.

WIN_20170307_15_16_09_Pro_zpsbjgpsqcc.jpg

soundboy57 and C-Man like this.
  9. C-Man

C-Man New Member

Wow that looks incredible Metroman. I discovered Greg Germino also builds cabinets. I await Mather’s reply.

Metroman likes this.
  10. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the real thing ?

11. FutureProf88

I think the concern he has is that if you buy a 1960AHW, it's a 1960A (with no center brace and a MDF back) for $1400 that has different speakers in it. For less money you can get a center braced cabinet with a solid back and a beefier wiring harness - actually built to late 60's or early 70's spec.

C-Man likes this.
  12. C-Man

C-Man New Member

I plan on using this thing to gig more rigorously. If you are referring to vintage pieces, then in that case, I don’t want to damage any essential pieces that should be preserved. Also just as future profs said there are far cheaper options that are more accurate. I am going to take some woodworking classes to build these myself! Hahaha

13. Metroman

How much would an Original 1966 TVB cab perfect condition cost??:eek::eek::eek::eek::erk::erk::erk::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::scream::scream::scream::wow::wow::wow:

14. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that 1960hw cabs are all birch ply and center braced . If you don't like g12h30 heritage speakers then sure , no point in considering getting one .

15. FutureProf88

They have sound posts but they are not center braced. I believe that all you get with the HW cabinets are metal handles, H30's and cosmetics.

16. Metroman

Any reply yet?? I would think he would have responded by now.

Petes really great to deal with, and he answered all of my stupid questions without a flinch.

Cab was also packed like a tank. I think for the $$$, and the quality of construction, Mather is really, really hard to beat.

I payed $1000 for my cab unloaded, but the Pinstripe cloth was almost $500. As much as the cabinet costs. There was also $200 shipping $1200 total.
    I'm in the process of saving up for a matching top, angled cabinet, and 4 more Pulsonic G12H. It will be a while though.

Ive always wondered what a JTM45 would sound like with 8 x 12 Pulsonic Celestions.

C-Man likes this.
  17. C-Man

C-Man New Member

I have yet to receive a response in this case from Peter, but no matter. I am in no real hurry, but these guys are all busy so I understand. 4 Pulsonic G12H's must sound like heaven, and a JTM45 with an 8 x 12 speaker arrangement would sound godly and loud. Like all of these things I suppose, patience is key.

FutureProf88 likes this.
  18. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

The answer to that is - killer!

Metroman likes this.
  19. C-Man

C-Man New Member

Update: None of the afformentioned have the material to do what I am looking for so far, but I have one option left. I will gladly share some photos when this is complete. Everyone here is helpful and awesome.

20. HAMPAMP TUBE AMP SERVICES

HAMPAMP TUBE AMP SERVICES Member

This is my Germino 4x12, great cabinet loaded with G12C's, never mind, it wont let me upload it but it is on the botton of the salt and pepper stack on my avatar

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018