The best sounding Marshall I've ever heard!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Maggot Brain, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I maybe a little biased as a Hendrix fanatic but I've seriously never heard such an organic, smooth and musical amp in my life. The way this thing sits on the edge of clean and dirty, the polished sound of the highs and how musical all the frequencies are... I had to share this with fellow Marshall lovers.

This is THE Marshall tone in my opinion, atleast early Marshall. I've rarely heard Johan not sound like himself no matter what year or model he plays thru but there is just something magical about this amp.

This is a sound Marshall needs to replicate and honestly no modern or old amp I have ever had the luxury of playing can touch this amps mojo.

Far Rider, dodona, trax1139 and 8 others like this.
  2. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the video. I think Marshall did a good job on the tone with the reissues 1973x & 1974x. Fair to say these reissues also make it possible to actually take them out and play them. I am biased as I have the 1973x. In this video, original Vs reissues are compared (they do a series on this). Go to about 5.20 to skip the waffle where they start to demo/compare. I think if you adjusted the EQ had the right tubes Marshall got pretty close to the original.

3. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

These early Super Basses and the JTM45/100 (almost the same) are the pinnacle in my view too. And im not really a Hendrix or strat fan.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  4. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

It's got it all ...shimmer, twang, tang, bite, and roar (just have to turn it up, but it's there!).

:dude:

5. Maggot Brain

That was a fantastic comparison and unmistakable Marshall! Stuff like this leads me to believe there is still "something" or "mojo" in the old gear. I'm starting to think it comes down to tubes and probably materials/chemicals/toxins that are banned in modern manufacturing of components and or the manufacturing process.

While the reissue sounded great and very faithful, personally there always seems to be a depth or detail amongst classic gear in my opinion.

Must be down to old tubes, components in the circuit and material/process in speaker manufacturing?

Far Rider likes this.
  6. Maggot Brain

Great description! This amp lacks NOTHING... It is holy grail material!

Mitchell Pearrow and Sapient like this.
  7. Maggot Brain

Yes, part of me looks forward to hear opinions of less biased members. The Hendrix sound is undeniably there with that amp/cab combo but I can't see how any Marshall fan wouldn't find this amp anything less than incredible.

8. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

9. Maggot Brain

This video is great because I think it further demonstrates how fantastic this Super Bass set up sounds. That '71 Superlead is no slouch and another incredible example of Marshall prowess but I still think the '67 is just untouchable.

Kelia likes this.
  10. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

Worth checking out their other videos they start to swop out the speaker/valves on the original with the reissue. In most of these sort of videos they usually use the same settings. I think they should actively try to match the sound to the original on whatever settings it takes. I think they could get a lot closer.

11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Sounds great but nothing "magical" to my ears. Maybe I need to be in the same room to hear the magic, but so far it's just a Marshall with a great tone.

The buzzing/hum/ 60 cycle hum (or whatever the origin) is kinda distracting, though.

Sustainium and GregM like this.
  12. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's really got a great balance. To me that's what stands out most. It just never does anything WRONG. Cleans are stunningly beautiful and articulate, and it keeps that articulation as you start driving it harder. The onset of distortion is gentle and nuanced. It has all the right harmonics and none of the worng ones. There aren't any bad noises coming out of it.

I'd agree it's among the best sounding Marshalls I've ever heard, and when you look at its performance over the full range from dead clean to cranked, yes, I'd say it's the overall best Marshall I've heard yet. When played with a Strat, that is.

But for me what tells the tale is when you plug in a good Les Paul or other good humbucker equipped guitar. Single coil tones just do NOT do it for me. Not when overdriven.

When hearing that demo video, I keep hearing echoes of old rock albums. I've heard these things before, and that this Marshall is so evocative of those faint memories says a lot of good things for it.

Far Rider and Maggot Brain like this.
  13. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I only listened on my shitty phone ( actually it's a p30, pretty good phone) but I couldn't tell because I hated the WY he played it, highs and mids sounded awesome but he kept cutting out the bass notes. Didn't let them ring out at all which is 1 of the things I love about this song, so no idea at all really

14. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I was hoping he would rip into the live overture solo to Sweet Jane. The first time I heard it was on a great HiFi system turned up really, really loud. Of course youtube sound probably would have ruined it.

I loved the tones here, even on youtube.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  15. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

RFT power tubes

16. dodona

dodona Member

I had one and me stupid asshole sold it in the late 70ths .
    BTW Segebohn is a great player and a true expert:

17. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Fat, warm, and chimey at the same time. Sounds nice. Not the typical Segeborn sound.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I guess I’ll be going against the grain in this thread,... I’m not in love with that tone. I’ve never coveted or even liked Hendrix’s tone. I admire his tremendous talent, unequaled imo, but I was never a fan of his tone.

Once again subjectivity shows itself.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  19. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Sounds fine, sounds like a Plexi. I’d like to hear it without the Hotplate.

Maggot Brain likes this.