The Backup - IE: the one you kick around the house or for jams.

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
Hey guys.
My JVM is phenomenal, and it isn't going anywhere. Mostly because i resent schlepping gear around.
I'd like to get myself something small, durable, and cheap - but it has to sound passable. Preferably 2 channel, but more is fine.
I used to have a Peavey Bandit Red or Silver Stripe, or a Studio 65, but I want to commit to Marshall, and i know they've made alot of solid state gear.
When I was a kid we had a pop-punk-metal covers band where we dimed little 30 watt valvestates or G series amps into oblivion. It sounded like hot garbage, but it was the greatest thing ever.

I'm looking for a semi all-in-one Marshall solid state amp. Around 50 watts oughta do it. I plan on substituting whatever speaker for a Celestion NEO V-type.

Don't think too hard about the pricing on these pictured, but it gives a ballpark of what is available in my neck of the woods.
Screenshot_20220504-234119_DBA.jpg

I have had a Boss Katana 50 a few years ago, and I'm not going for a code. Digital is not for me - at the moment. The one listed as an 8000, is actually an 8080.

I think i maybe want to wait it out and get a MG50GFX with the 4 button footswitch.
Please chime in with your wisdom.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had a Valvestate, but I have a G50RCD that I can't give away.
Of what is shown in your pic, I'd actually recommend the CODE.
But if I'm not mistaken, 1,000 kr is a little over $100 usd, so not a lot of risk with any of them.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
But if I'm not mistaken, 1,000 kr is a little over $100 usd, so not a lot of risk with any of them.

I have a G50RCD as well. Loud little thing but I think it could use a speaker swap.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Convenience for me means being able to achieve my preferred tone, response and feel with a minimum of change of how I play and what I do at the guitar. The majority of my tone is achieved through interaction of the guitar and amp and NOT through use of pedal/stonp/box/thingies, so plugging into any lesser amp than my main gigging amp is less convenient, even if it moves around easier! In other words, I always want "MY SOUND" all the time!
Just Sayin'
Gene

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I tried it through a bunch of different speakers that I have.
It doesn't get much better...

I like the sound of it when it is cranked but at lower volumes it could use more bottom end. I haven't played it in years. I need to get it out and see what I think of it after using a tube amp for the last several years.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I should clarify that my absolute minimum "kick around the house" amp is either a DSL20CR or TWEED DELUXE, with the caveat that a good attenuator is needed for either to really give up it's goods at home volume levels! Much like most tube amps!
Just Crankin'
Gene

donwagar

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was at my local guitar store for one of their sales, discovered a like new DSL15C for a 'couldn't pass it up' price. I changed the speaker, did a couple of circuit board mods. It's a pretty good home amp.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Maybe you can get one of the smaller DSLs used? If you don't like modeling enough, are you shure an analog SS Amp will be right for you?
Because I consider any modeling Amp better than anything solid state. And the Katana- is one of the best of them. Many steps above any Solid State thing.

Whiteknuckle

Reaction score
My living room amp is an old Line 6 Flextone II. To this day, I totally love the old Modern Hi-Gain setting.
It's great to have something that is just super simple.
Save up a bit more and buy a better amp
It's not about budget, it's fully about getting something I won't be too sad to see go up in flames or take a tumble down a flight of stairs. You can't do that with a DSL.
One time my Bandit slipped from my hand and did just that. Almost got through the door it hit. Amp worked perfect and, had almost 0 damage.
I'm with @tallcoolone - I have found the occasional good deal but never great tone on the cheap.

Russ
It's not as much about tone, but more about kickability.
About $142. I might be intrigued enough by the code to try it. I can always flip it if it doesn't work. You haven't tried a valvestate yet? I had one a decade ago. Laugh all you want, but for a brief period it was my only amp. I have fond memories of it. It didn't sound like a million bucks, with 20 watts and a 10" speaker, but it was ok for practicing.

Convenience for me means being able to achieve my preferred tone, response and feel with a minimum of change of how I play and what I do at the guitar. The majority of my tone is achieved through interaction of the guitar and amp and NOT through use of pedal/stonp/box/thingies, so plugging into any lesser amp than my main gigging amp is less convenient, even if it moves around easier! In other words, I always want "MY SOUND" all the time!
Just Sayin'
Gene

I should clarify that my absolute minimum "kick around the house" amp is either a DSL20CR or TWEED DELUXE, with the caveat that a good attenuator is needed for either to really give up it's goods at home volume levels! Much like most tube amps!
Just Crankin'
Gene
Yeah, sure a DSL would be welcome at my place again. But I wouldn't want to beat the poor thing. Wouldn't let my 4 year old touch one, or have it anywhere outside of the office/guestroom. At some point I'll have all kinds of Marshall, but right now I'm going for something that can take a beating, that I won't feel sorry for.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Sorry sir, but I consider a DSL20 as a cheap amp, at the entry level to real Marshall tones and would never even think twice about knocking it around, as much as I would ever knock anything around. I treat my gear pretty good, wherever and whenever. Any amp that can't survive a 4 year old with sticky fingers twisting it's knobs, won't likely survive a drunk/stoned guitarist at 3 AM! :facepalm:

Just Twistin'
Gene

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against solid state Marshalls, I have had and still have a few including a CODE, just never a Valvestate.
My other solid state Marshalls are single channel - more of a classic tone.
The G50RCD is just a little too high gain for my taste, but if you're looking for pop-punk-metal, you might like the G80.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
At this stage in my life, this philosophy does not resonate with me. I am currently living in one of my most noise-intolerant close-quarters environments and my living room amps are 100w MV and NMV Marshalls. The tech exists on the cheap to bring a cranked 1959 to residential and even headphone volume.

My appreciation of cheap(er) gear was stuff that would be moved/thrown around constantly with a moderate thievery risk… something you wouldn’t miss dearly if damaged/destroyed/stolen and easily replaced. None of that registers with what I have in my home.

nickfox

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Marshall amps. If I was buying something to beat around the house and was kid proof, I would get the Yamaha THR10IIW. The wireless one. That has a really good reputation for excellent sound.

I have a katana 50 also. I keep it at the end of my bed so that my blanket doesn't fall onto the floor.

Last edited:

Kim Lucky Day

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend a Fender Bassbreaker 007 combo. Around $400 new, super versatile and awesome tone. Durability? The Bassbreaker series gets a bad rap on circuit board design but mine is built like a tank and I don't abuse my stuff so I expect it to be quite serviceable for some time now. Very light weight for an all tube practice amp. Did I mention AWESOME tone? You won't be sorry if you got one...

JBA

Reaction score
Hey guys.
My JVM is phenomenal, and it isn't going anywhere. Mostly because i resent schlepping gear around.
I'd like to get myself something small, durable, and cheap - but it has to sound passable. Preferably 2 channel, but more is fine.
I used to have a Peavey Bandit Red or Silver Stripe, or a Studio 65, but I want to commit to Marshall, and i know they've made alot of solid state gear.
When I was a kid we had a pop-punk-metal covers band where we dimed little 30 watt valvestates or G series amps into oblivion. It sounded like hot garbage, but it was the greatest thing ever.

I'm looking for a semi all-in-one Marshall solid state amp. Around 50 watts oughta do it. I plan on substituting whatever speaker for a Celestion NEO V-type.

Don't think too hard about the pricing on these pictured, but it gives a ballpark of what is available in my neck of the woods.
View attachment 107075

I have had a Boss Katana 50 a few years ago, and I'm not going for a code. Digital is not for me - at the moment. The one listed as an 8000, is actually an 8080.

I think i maybe want to wait it out and get a MG50GFX with the 4 button footswitch.
Please chime in with your wisdom.
I’m a Marshall guy but I’d go Katana and not Marshall for solid state. You just need to go into the global post parametric eq and go -6db to -8 dB at 1khz, q=0.5. You can then turn the level up +5 or +6 dB to compensate for the overall volume drop. Thats a good starting point to get into Marshall territory. Personally the head and a sealed cab is the way to go. You can even try 1.25 kHz and see if that suits you better. That 50 does have a small open back cab so that will always be a limiting factor.

Edit: you’ll also want to back off your guitar volume a hair to get a more natural sounding distortion.
Cheers!