Test Your Ears! Can You Tell Which Marshall This Is? Results Are In!

What Marshall amp is this?

• 1962 Bluesbreaker

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 1974x

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • JCM 800

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • JCM 900 Dual Reverb

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • DSL100h

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • TSL100

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

colchar

Reaction score
While This may not be the 'ideal' tone for everyone, it is a good 'vintage' flavor tone. here's some tips on how to get it;

The speakers are a HUGE part of the sound of an amp. The size/shape/volume of the cabinet [as well as open back vs closed back] are also huge. If you feel like you simply cannot get a "vintage" tone out of the amp, my very first question would be; what speakers/cab are you using? If you have the G12T75's, they are an extremely "modern" sounding [high presence and bass] speaker.

The next thing I would do would be; the bass and treble to '0' and turn the mids to '10'. now bring the treble up until you have enough cut to define the notes on the low 'e' string, but I would avoid getting too much treble or 'sizzle'. Now bring just enough bass in that the notes seem full in spectrum - you are NOT looking to make your pants flap. If a palm muted Em chord sounds like 'woof' and you lost the cut in the EQ then that's too much bass.

Bear in mind that as your volume goes up, bass should go down - the EQ is NOT 'set and forget'.

Finally, the TSL is very similar to the DSL. Not identical, but it is similar. With Vintage 30's or creambacks, dialing in a similar EQ [resonance off, presence off, bass 3, mids 10, treble 4] should give you pretty similar results.

Thanks.

I have the JCM2000 TSL122 so it is a 2x12 combo which has one Marshall Celestion Vintage and one Marshall Celestion Heritage.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
The best thing about The jcm 2000 100w head is the bias points in the chassis to plug a multimeter into so you can bias without removing from the cabinet , cool feature .

JCMDOUG

Reaction score
I have a DSL100H and DSL 2000 and have done mods to both. The 100H is easy to work on, the 2000 is just a mess gray and blue wires and little connectors.

Attachments

• 2000.png
    2000.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSL 100H.jpg
    DSL 100H.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
When people mention JCM2000 are they referring to the DSL? Remember, the TSL series is also a JCM2000 and they are very different critters.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Perhaps I should have changed the valves in the one I had , they were original approx 12 years old ( but barely used ) . Bought the amp off of an old guy in his 70's who one day decided to learn guitar got all the gear and never did . Did bias it using those handy points , so should have been all good .

stock_hippie

Reaction score
whatever it is I'm gonna get it..i don't know beans about amps...but this is the best thread and fun to do...ive listened to snuff you tubes to take a stab at it...but it sounds kinda modern so I'll sayyy...hmmm...DSL

stock_hippie

Reaction score
omg...i was right...!!!...village idiot...wooo-hooowait till i tell my wife!!