Test Your Ears! Can You Tell Which Marshall This Is? Results Are In!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Snow and Steel, Jan 19, 2017.

?

What Marshall amp is this?

Poll closed Jan 26, 2017.
  1. 1962 Bluesbreaker

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 1974x

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. JCM 800

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. JCM 900 Dual Reverb

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. DSL100h

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  6. TSL100

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I didnt vote but I figured it was the dsl because I knew he just bought one:) and it was the green channel lol

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  2. milfwah

milfwah Active Member

No secret that the DSL is one of the great amps in the pantheon of Marshalls great amps.
    There's no denying the DSL (and the JCM-2000 DSLs) are fantastic amps. I'm fortunate to have had three of them (a JCM-2000, a DSL 100H, and my current white tolex DSL-40C with a well broken in Celestion Vintage-30 in it). Even though I also have a JCM-900 2100 MK-III and a JCM 800 2210 head and a '78 JMP 2203 (Thor's hammer to be sure), and a pair of JCM-600 1x12 combos, and a JVM 410H, I STILL consider that DSL 40C to be my "Desert island amp".

ken361 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

My TSL - also a JCM2000 - kind of a generic term for a few amps - is one of mine. The Crunch channel has far more balls than the DSL and can go from reasonably cleanish to flat out old school metal with lowering guitar volume just on that channel alone. The Gain control on Clean channel is a nice addition as well. Easy to set tones and can sound pretty much like anything you want.
    The nice thing is I could take it from the example OP posted by setting similar EQ on Crunch channel and still have a soaring lead channel PLUS clean. They've had some PCB problems but a fantastic sounding amp!

colchar and ken361 like this.
  4. milfwah

milfwah Active Member

I had a JCM-2000 TSL 60 2x12 for a while. Yes it was a great amp too. It didn't have a bias drift issue and I fixed the lousy foot switch with s handful of Radio Shack
    switch buttons and some washers to make up for the difference in the hole size of the pedal housing. Not a thing wrong with the tone of that amp. Even the Wolverine speakers sounded great to me. Only reason I let it go is it was heavy as hell and I piled up a shit ton of Marshall tube amps. I'd gladly rock a TSL 100 head. Should probably get another one day before a handful of people talk them up and drive the prices up.

5. Gblev

Gblev Active Member

You fooled me.

6. Jethro Rocker

I find my 122 to sound piles better than my buddy's 602. We play side by each and the 122 really kills it. No footswitch problem with mine either.

colchar likes this.
  7. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Wow, that definitely fooled me! Then again my DSL gain knob is always WAY east of zero, so I'm not very familiar with low gain! HA! :eddie:

Cool experiment! Thank you! :yesway:

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  8. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

It sounds a lot like my 900 reissue in fact I thought it was a 900 DR on channel A very AC/DC ish.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  9. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

Now I just have to figure out how to accomplish that with my TSL!!

Perhaps that more generic Marshall tone would enable it to emulate other amps better than would be the case if it had a very distinct tone of its own?

10. Snow and Steel

Snow and Steel Active Member

While This may not be the 'ideal' tone for everyone, it is a good 'vintage' flavor tone. here's some tips on how to get it;

The speakers are a HUGE part of the sound of an amp. The size/shape/volume of the cabinet [as well as open back vs closed back] are also huge. If you feel like you simply cannot get a "vintage" tone out of the amp, my very first question would be; what speakers/cab are you using? If you have the G12T75's, they are an extremely "modern" sounding [high presence and bass] speaker.

The next thing I would do would be; the bass and treble to '0' and turn the mids to '10'. now bring the treble up until you have enough cut to define the notes on the low 'e' string, but I would avoid getting too much treble or 'sizzle'. Now bring just enough bass in that the notes seem full in spectrum - you are NOT looking to make your pants flap. If a palm muted Em chord sounds like 'woof' and you lost the cut in the EQ then that's too much bass.

Bear in mind that as your volume goes up, bass should go down - the EQ is NOT 'set and forget'.

Finally, the TSL is very similar to the DSL. Not identical, but it is similar. With Vintage 30's or creambacks, dialing in a similar EQ [resonance off, presence off, bass 3, mids 10, treble 4] should give you pretty similar results.

colchar likes this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

I agree as a place to start with TSL. Because of the "extra" channel, I find it voiced between Channel 1 Crunch and channel 2 Lead1 on DSL. Seems like a great start!!

colchar likes this.
  12. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

The DSL is a very good amp but I play metal and that setting isn't anything I would ever really use and for me the JCM 900 Reissue is the sweet spot for Thrash Metal tones. That said I think the DSL is a great Thrash metal amp in it's own right . I just wish they still made them in the England factory .

13. Snow and Steel

Yes, I would use the "crunch" channel with the gain dimed for those settings. you could use channel 3 [od1] with a hair more treble, gain and volume and use it as a solo boost for leads!

Correct - This was sort of an exercise in getting a "vintage" tone out of a modern amp. Getting a thrash tone out of the DSL is relatively easy.

I find the DSL to be more reliable, cheaper, easier to acquire, and better planned [resonance knob instead of "deep" button" for example] than the 2000 line, and they are made with virtually the same parts - so being made in Vietnam to Marshall's specs vs being made in England to Marshall's specs would really only affect the price. Now if there were a "handwired" w spring reverb version you might argue that it is worth more [price vs sound quality].

I used to get caught up in the whole "USA or Europe only" thing... and then I realized that my phone, my camera, my ipad, etc etc are all made in china... its not WHERE it is made that matters. its the specs, parts used, and quality control that matters. If its a well made product - who cares where it was made. The golden rule of sound is; if it sounds good then it IS good.

For that matter I've seen some USA made amps that were less than ideal in quality control.

I played the DSL at a gig last night, the other guitarist was using a Hand wired 1962 "bluesbreaker". I've listened to the playback [want to hear?] - the amps complimented each other well, and both sounded great. The other guitarist even commented that "your new Marshall sounds really good".

I worry more about what my fingers put out - that ultimately means more.

harleytech likes this.
  14. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Got it straight away admittedly after the event but having once owned a jcm 2000 100w head if was pretty obvious . Couldn't get a decent tone out of it for love nor money , no dynamics whatsoever .

15. Jethro Rocker

I like the 3 channel setup of the TSL and the tones of channel 2 plus the additional gain control on Clean channel and footswitchability. I like mine a lot better than when I had DSL for my style and song list.

colchar likes this.
  16. Snow and Steel

so.... basically you just popped in after the test to let us all know that these amps sucks and you know the suck because you once owned the suck... and ergo the tones here also suck... all while missing the entire point of the test? And we're going to be wowed by your "golden ear"?

Classy.

colchar and Jethro Rocker like this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

The crunch setting channel 1 on a DSL oozes dynamics IMO.

18. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Sorry to all dsl owners out there just my opinion , which in all honesty doesn't really matter a shit anyway . What else can I say , didn't like the jcm 2000 I had for a while . Unfortunately I recognised ' that ' tone straight away , only being honest in my opinion .

19. denwing

denwing New Member

My guess was crappy sounding TSL. I agree with those that said the low end was loose flubby. That's near opposite the isolated VH track which is TIGHT and bouncy from bottom to mid. Can't believe the number of guesses for 1974x because of the very very light hint of throatiness in the sound. I would've been totally disappointed if that clip was generated from a 1974x... sorry not even close.

Ufoscorpion likes this.
  20. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I still can't tell which amp it was.