Test Your Ears! Can You Tell Which Marshall This Is? Results Are In!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Snow and Steel, Jan 19, 2017.

?

What Marshall amp is this?

Poll closed Jan 26, 2017.
  1. 1962 Bluesbreaker

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 1974x

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. JCM 800

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. JCM 900 Dual Reverb

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. DSL100h

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  6. TSL100

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Hard to say, but whatever it is, it's pretty loose in the low end.

2. Snow and Steel

Snow and Steel Active Member

winding down to the last few hours....

The Ozzk likes this.
  3. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

4. Snow and Steel

AND THE RESULTS!

So the short and sweet answer is;

Marshall DSL100H

Now for a bit more info;
    Run through the Avatar 2x12 W/Vintage 30's, EQ dialed fairly wild to get a "vintage" style tone - resonance OFF, Bass 3, Mids 10, Treble 4, Presence OFF.

Now... lets talk about what happened here, because I think there is some really interesting stuff going on.

75% of you or so guessed wrong, which tells me that I am correct; while there is certainly a "Marshall Sound", nailing down a specific sound to a certain amp is much, much harder. The EQ has as much to do with the sound as anything. Some models are geared for more treble or bass - but with enough EQ yo find the vintage tones are in there. While it is noted that the 2ns largest guessing block was the DSL, I think a fair number of those guessers looked at my previous posts and/or pictures and made that guess.

now some have commented on the "loose" low end, and I find that quite strange; Vintage 30's, bass at 3, resonance OFF... I find it hard to believe the bass could be that loose at those settings, and wonder if it isn't the EQ and/or medium in which some people listened to the audio with. Further, there is something to be said for EXACT reproductive audio; so many people are used to studio style audio where the EQ is tailored, then the track is normalized, then the whole production is EQ'd and then the thing is mastered. I think many folks would be in for a shock if they heard their favorite stars live tone on stage as compared to the "on the record" tone.

Several people were convinced EL84's were involved - that's interesting to me at least.

Feel free to discuss the track; good, bad, indifferent, things that surprised you, things that strike you s different now that you know what the amp is, etc etc - I'm very keen to hear your thoughts, and I know I've certainly learned some interesting things.

kinleyd likes this.
  5. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

Which channel and mode??

6. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I picked 1974X too because of the sound I heard though I have never played one. The EL84 aspect did not sway me. I felt it had a bit much bottom end power for a 1974 but I still picked it figuring it may be tubes and EQ used.
    Speakers do make a difference but not in this case it seems.
    The EQ'ing though is set bassier due to major mids and low treble.
    Nice work.

7. Philip Lyon

Philip Lyon Member

Looking at the EQ set up of the DSL 100 there is no wonder why I picked 1974x by mistake. With the Resonance Bass Treble and Presence set so low and Mids so high that does an almost perfect impersonation of an EL84 amps normal behaviour.
    Fooled me well and truly.
    I always associate DSL 100s with cut, bite growl and bottom end thump in spades !

8. JCMDOUG

JCMDOUG Well-Known Member

I new it!!!! Ok it was a shit chance I just voted for the DSL100H because I have one. For the price of a used one its a hard amp to beat.

Coronado and harleytech like this.
  9. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Nailed it!

10. HotRats73

HotRats73 Active Member

I voted 1974 because it didn't sound as one of the other options.

I was sure wasn't a jtm cirucit (i have one and i think i know how it sounds) and didn't sound like a 800 at all to me.

didnt sound like a typical dsl or a 900 too but that's probably because you "tricked" us with mids at 10, no resonance and bass at 3.

nice test anyway.

11. Snow and Steel

Pentode power, Green channel, crunch mode, gain 10, and volume cranked. First sample was around 4.5 or so, the second one was ear splitting loud, I believe I got it up to 8 or maybe a hair more? It was brutally loud! I wore earplugs and rattles pictures off the wall, lol.

It was also interesting to hear the significant difference there was in sheer volume - more thump, more presence - all by just really pushing the speakers and the power section.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

It IS interesting. Seems to me that by changing EQ one can get a more vintage sound to a modern amp.

That being said, the fact that some amps are associated with a distinct tone is certainly a reality and if one set a number of these amps to their so called "classic" tone, I think the differences would be more obvious.
    My TSL isn't really a distinctive sounding Marshall to my ears but an 800 set for hair rock with that bright raw thump I think would be relatively distinct.
    Same with a Bluesbreaker set to an old Claptonesque tone with a Strat. While amps can be set for different tones, when set to their classic settings I think some would show themselves more.

Interesting venture, sounds like it was fun!!

13. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

I knew it...That's what I voted for...
    And I have one too...

14. Boink!

Boink! Active Member

Just saw this thread. Awesome :D Upon first listening I was sure it was a 900 because of it's more modern voicing. I was pretty sure it wasn't 1974x nor 800. Obviously not DSL/TSL because their distortion grain, to my ears, sounds like it's falling apart (on red channel). Never heard Bluesbreaker but from videos I've seen I was kinda hoping it wasn't that either :D After listening to the boosted clip, I went back to listen the first part of the clip again as it occurred to me it wasn't really fuzzy (constrained cheap pedal) enough for 900DR and it sounded a bit fuller than DR-s do. So I kinda gambled it might be DSL/TSL on green, but I was only guessing since I never really cared for their green channels and played them on occasions only. If it weren't for the boosted clip that gave away certain things I would be deadset on a 900DR. Like some, I went with what I was "pretty" sure it wasn't. Luck...

15. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Nice playing bro. Good stuff.

I just listened. If my DSL40 evar sounded like that I'd send Jason Stathum to punish Marshall.

How ever that is what the Green side can sound like. Hard and stiff.

Try L2 amp gain at 3 in the knob. EQ to taste. Also I love the sticky notes my SD Dimarzio deliver. So did many guitarist back in the day.

I did not like that tone but loved the thread. Very interesting and well done. Again the playing I enjoyed very much. Sometimes these DSL's sound too hard or brittle. Love hate on my part.

ricksconnected likes this.
  16. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I picked DSL100 also just because MG100 wasnt on the list lol

IMO though even though it sounds like something else to us i think from the list many of us would pick a different amp because of feel. Some amps may sound the same when you hear em but when playing them feel different specially if it was a PTP amp.

17. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member

I voted for the DSL100! I set up my '78 JMP 2204 in the same way tone wise (no resonance control). A 50 or 100 watt Marshall has got some bottom end balls with the bass turned up. I have played with many a DSL40 combo and DSL100H and I really dig the versatility of the amp, though I am into the vintage tones, the DSL is entirely capable of re-creating them fairly accurately if you know what to do with 'em.
    Good work Snow!

solarburnDSL50 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  18. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

Cool

The V30s threw me, people dont understand the lack of highs a V30 actually has.
    Its the reason I sold all 8 of mine, but you had a good tone out of yours, nice thread.
    I absolutely love my 100H , and its all stock.

solarburnDSL50 and kustombob like this.
  19. Snow and Steel

Now here's an interesting point of discussion.

Part of the exercise was to dial a tone that sounded very vintage and NOT like the DSL to show that a modern Marshall doesn't have to sound "modern".

Also, its worth noting that it is often the nastiest tones that actually stick out and work, both on recordings and in live work. Ever listen to the isolated guitar tracks of VH? For a "brown sound" they are NOT warm or smooth - in fact they are bright, gritty and nasty sounding.

Give it a listen.

Doesn't sound like an amazing guitar track does it? yet in the context of the drums and bass, it sticks out and sounds great!

Too much bass in your guitar tone not only makes your amp waste a lot of energy, work harder, and strain parts, but it is also pointless - once the bas player hits one note your bass could effectively be on "0" because you will never win the fight of bass with the bass player. Likewise, a good amount of highs are nice for a little cut, but too much and it fights the cymbals, the vocals, and becomes an ice pick in the ear. Its the midrange where frequencies are open for the guitar to shine.

So I would argue that the more midrange, the more nasty the guitar you dial, the better it sounds in the end product.

Kris Ford and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  20. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed this thread.

The pictures haven't been as good as those in the boob threads or the ones about Kardashian's ass, but a very good thread all the same.

:yesway: