Tesla story time...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by wakjob, Oct 23, 2020.

1. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Is nothing sacred anymore?! :squint:

2. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I live in St. Louis and can attest to that..

Biddlin likes this.
  3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The real deal:

[​IMG]

FutureProf88 and DaDoc like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I remember guys doing this in the late 60s-early 70s. I think my gf's 69 Dodge slant 6 had an eight-track of a 440 and a set of metal covered speakers under the trunk.
    My relatively quiet (283ci?)Skylark walked away from it at lights.

5. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Well-Known Member

Look up the Prius graveyard, it is somewhere in CA. Nothing to do with dead batteries at the moment, lithium is not recyclable right now, and once the battery packs quit, you are screwed.
    Diesel/Electric hybrid, like locomotives, is the real way to go. Tiny diesel engine running a geared up generator, providing juice for the motors. Instant torque, high horsepower, and can run for days without a refill.
    I am curious to see these electric trucks that are coming out, once you hook a trailer or a load to them, they likely will go only 40 miles or so before running out of juice.

South Park, DaDoc and MarshallDog like this.
  6. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Prius hybrid batteries typically last 150-200k miles. Reman batteries cost just over a grand and the labor to replace is not bad.
    Like ‘em or not they are great cars.

7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My company is highly involved in petrochem and I have been told a lot of info and read a lot on oil wells. One thing the government and others in power wont tell you is that in most cases when a an oil well is pumped dry if you go back to it years later (its a few years cant remember) there is oil in it again. Why, oil is a product of the core temp of the earth and the decay of naturally dying organisms on earth. Scientic studies show that oil will most likely run out because of this natural process. Matter of fact, there are oil deposits out in the midwest that are some of the biggest in the whole world but they have not been tapped yet. The government and mega rich oil tycoons do not want people to know this because it would devalue oil. No kidding!!

Lets talk clean diesel, its so clean you cant smell anything. My friend has a diesel VW SUV and I have had my face down to his exhaust piles an no smell at all basically like warm humid air mins O2...I was shocked! I guess the exhaust is mega clean hence I wonder why other world areas vehicles are mainly diesel but very few of ours are not to mention diesel is refined first then gas is a few refining steps later, meaning it takes less energy to produce diesel but yet the USA exports almost all diesel its diesel and why is diesel more expensive per gallon than gas??? Something is up here.

DaDoc and Trumpet Rider like this.
  8. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Yes they are doing everything to break down society. Things like this are in your face. They expect us to look the other way and let it happen. That's why the cops are standing down because they are told to. They opened the mental hospitals and let the mentally incapacitated out onto the streets. And it has been going on since the late 1950's. It started with a fund cutting policy. That's why the mess up in SF. Notice those street people are most likely not even wearing masks. And you would think that if this C19 is real the homeless would be the first to disappear. But that's not happening now is it? The take away is that what we see happening now was planned decades ago. It didn't happen over night. And they expect people to just roll over and accept it.

You have people who had good jobs and homes living in cars and tents. It's an attack on the economy done on purpose.

DaDoc and RCM 800 like this.
  9. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

10. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Its amazing what they can do with scrubbers anymore. Ive done work in turbine cogeneration power plants where they were burning a mix of coal and shredded used tires. If you didnt see the heat waves coming off the stacks and the noise you would never know they were even running much less that they were burning some nasty nasty stuff. No smell, no black cloud of crap pouring forth. Im not saying we shouldnt explore alternative energy sources but I dont think we have taken combustion as far as we can either.

MarshallDog and DaDoc like this.
  11. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Hopefully VW is done cheating with their diesels. I read that they have spent about 30 billion in fines and buy backs! Holy crap that’s a lot of Beetles. lol

12. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who was a diesel mechanic told me years ago that in a nutshell, diesel fumes basically turn to carbon and fall to the ground, as opposed to gasoline, which stays in the air and although it may be more smelly initially, is much better than for the environment than diesel..And this guy is a hard-core conservative not particularly worried about environmental issues! And he said it's cheaper to produce as well, but the reason the oil congloms don't revert to diesel only is because they can make more $$$ on gasoline. So there ya go! :noplease:

13. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Older diesel engines produced lots of particulate- not good for the environment or things with lungs. New ones are better but the exhaust cleaners add costs.
    I like diesel engines but would not buy one again- too stinky when refueling- lol. It is nasty though.

I replaced my weed whacker with a nice rechargeable Makita and love it. Works great and no fussing with mixing fuel. Starts instantly and runs quiet. Electric ain’t all bad.

14. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah those were a few years back, this is newer one but to prove my point go sniff the exhaust of a newer F-250 diesel or a newer semi that has not been tampered with, same thing! Youll smell your nasty breath before you smell any pollution if you are true to your senses.

DaDoc and Lo-Tek like this.
  15. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

Sounds like the old "muffler bearings" or "blinker fluid" joke, but DEF is a real thing.

It is sprayed into the exhaust flow and breaks down the emissions into nitrogen and water.

16. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

First...I'm sorry for this thread.
    Not at all the direction I thought the discussion was gonna go.

Second, I just finished degreeing in a new camshaft for my '65 Mustang. :yum:

Third, Tesla acquiring Maxwell Technologies and their super capacitor research, along with graphene batteries is going to be a game changer for all electric vehicles in the near future. So there's that.

Lastly, I was just pissed off to high heaven about these uptight, snooty, new england college town types that can have so much pull and influence to get something like this past the tax payers of the community. :pissed:

17. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

So I technically learned to drive in Illinois. So I know what the turn signal lever does and to turn my lights on when it's raining or at night.

But yeah. It's St. Louis. We commute like this.

[​IMG]

DaDoc likes this.
  18. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I agree. The last dealer I worked at sold VW. I didn't work on them much but have driven plenty of their newer diesel cars and they are a vast improvement over the old ones. Way back when I owned a 79 Rabbit/Golf diesel. Stolen while I was still in Detroit. Who the hell would steal a ten year old Rabbit diesel? I always suspected the guy three blocks down who just happened to own a VW repair joint. ;)
    The cops don't investigate shit like this though- at least not back then.

Diesel fuel is still stinky though. If you get it on you it refueling you will smell it all day.

19. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So why are the SJW's so down on the very same vehicles that haul their fat lazy asses around too?
    Want to really nit pick? Why is it just cars that take the brunt of the emissions slag? Every house, business, building has a heating system based on either gas, propane or oil. But this isn't a problem just cars are, right? Bullshit yet again. Never ends does it.

DaDoc and FutureProf88 like this.
  20. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

To be honest- you kinda sound like a SJW - always complaining about something and pushing some agenda! ;)

My house is actually geo-thermal. And wood- lol
    Supposedly they are making progress on geo-thermal power plants too. That could be a good thing.
    What would be cool is electric cars that don't require batteries. Supposedly Nikola Tesla had such a thing but it could be internet lore.