Tesla story time...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by wakjob, Oct 23, 2020.

1. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

MarshallDog likes this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Exactly, and a Vette (any petro powered vehicle) will go further on one fueling and can be refueled in minutes versus hours, electric = nerds! And there is simply no way this Country can or will survive with 0 refining, all of our belongings have petro chemicals in them...this theory is pathetic and completely ignorant to say the least.

anitoli likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Matter of taste I guess.
    Virtually silent, great for stalking bicyclists and pedestrians.

4. anitoli

First i'm not a stalker, lol.
    The C8 looks a tad too stealthy in my book but a C6 is a beautiful machine and a stock LS2 power plant is a very stout engine. These pics are not my car but same color and year minus the Z06 package. I don't have any really good shots of my Vette at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wouldn't trade this for a Porsche or Audi or Maserati or..............

MarshallDog and jmp45 like this.
  5. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    When driving an electric vehicle one of the great joys is sneaking up on some spandex wearing poser on a $5K bicycle and scaring the bejeezus out of him.

jimmyjames likes this.
  6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Me too! :wow:

If I ever won the lottery that would definitely be one of my "presents to myself"! :D

Only I would want a red one with a white panel, or maybe a blue one..:wub2:

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Awesome Vette DV, my neighbor still has his.

[​IMG]

RCM 800, DaDoc, anitoli and 1 other person like this.
  8. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

All true. There was a time when I wanted to move there more than anything..Not now.

Jealous? I think not! If I wanted to live there I would simply move there, but no thanks.

Alas, it's not the same place anymore..The glory days of the golden state have long since passed, and the "California dream" is now only a happy memory. Nowadays it's just too overcrowded, too expensive to live there, too much crime and weirdness, and too many B.S. laws and regulations. Along with too many people with bad ideas who think the rest of the world should think exactly as they do..Or be forced to.

In addition, if they weren't sucking the all the water from the underground aquifers in surrounding states, it would likely be a desert wasteland there..Not to mention that eventually it's quite likely there's going to be enough of an earthquake that it will become part of the Pacific ocean..:run:

But if you're happy there, that's cool! :yesway:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  9. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

Yeah man... I think Teslas are cool, and I love Elon Musk. But no. No interest in owning an electric car. I recognize that they are objectively better vehicles in many ways. But I like the sound and feeling of rowing a gearbox and having a reciprocating internal combustion engine singing its opera up near redline. Pushing a car through a turn as the tach climbs on the exit on a crisp fall day is just sublime. But I'm a vehicular luddite. I don't like driver assists. I don't like "drive modes." I don't like electronic stability control. Give me an engine, a clutch, a good gearbox, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a limited slip diff. Leave the rest to me.

10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

A Red Barchetta would be awesome..Just be sure to use the one lane bridge! :fingersx:

11. Biddlin

If you drive like most folks in St. Louis. A recent study found St. Louis to be the worst for unsafe lane changes, red light runners and solo car rollovers. I'll throw in rude drivers. They'll cuss you out after they run you into the ditch.

12. MarshallDog

Well said DaDoc and MD agrees 100%!

DaDoc likes this.
  13. MarshallDog

I just love when uneducated people compare the Tesla S Plaid model to the new Vette!!! Really, the Tesla should go 0-60 a touch quicker! Why, its all wheel drive the Vette is not, the Tesla has 1100 hp the Vette has about 500 hp, the Tesla might beat it by a hair in acceleration but it should seeing as its all wheel drive with over 2x the hp and cost about 60k more...get them on a nice track or curvy road and lets see whos in-front and the Vette will definitely pass the Tesla when its time to refuel. So there you have it...facts!

anitoli and DaDoc like this.
  14. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

When I read Neil Young's book "Waging Heavy Peace" he did a lot of talking about an electric car he built called the Lincvolt, it's a hybrid that runs on a combination of ethanol and electric. He apparently was pretty involved in the design, and it's a '59 Lincoln Continental convertible that has been repowered with a 200KW prime mover and a Ford Hybrid 2.5L Atkinson engine. An A123 battery pack stores power for silent running for 40 miles. As much as I love petrol-fueled big trucks and muscle cars, it's still to me a cool and interesting concept. Apparently Henry Ford himself was big on the idea of electric cars back in the early 1900's, so it's really nothing new.

One thing Neil mentions that I hadn't really thought of before was that when one's running electric it's totally quiet, and one can listen to the car stereo without having to crank it up over the sound of a gasoline engine..That would be very cool! Sometimes I like to hear an engine, but sometimes I wish I could just listen to my music quietly while driving.

As much as I hate to admit it, we should probably take a hard look at moving toward vehicles powered by means other than gasoline or diesel, there's only so much of that stuff left and there's a LOT of everyday items we take for granted that it took petroleum to produce. We should save the fossil fuels we have left for things other than powering vehicles and spend more time and energy working toward developing better alternative engine designs. The biggest problem with that is the power and influence the petroleum industry has, and it seems they could care less about much else than keeping the $$$$$$ rolling in. The current problem with electric is the short range between chargings. Maybe a combination of electric and biofuel like Neil's is the way to go until someone figures out how to build a safe fusion engine.

There's people (I won't drop names here, it would probably start a pollytick shitstorm) who want to do away with personal transportation altogether, along with flying, and rely on mass transportation and the like to move people around..She-I mean they're, idealistic and maybe well-meaning but at the same time rather short-sighted and foolish! That might work in big cities, but in places like the northwestern rural areas like where I live people would be screwed without big, powerful vehicles to deal with the terrain and weather. I would hate to be sitting in the middle of nowhere with a dead electric car (or on foot) in a 20 degree below blizzard! Another huge problem being ignored is as things currently stand with electrics the amount of time it takes to charge them, just think of the lines waiting for a charge if suddenly everyone was forced to switch to electric, or the amount of land it would take to build mass charging stations..It would be literally hundreds of acres! that would simply be trading one evil for another.

I dunno, I've been wanting some horses for a while now anyhoo..Around here that may eventually become a necessity rather than a hobby if certain people in power get their way. Of course since horses give off methane in their droppings they might be banned along with cows..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    RCM 800 likes this.
  15. anitoli

When a Tesla can win half as many LeMans titles as the Vette has i'll consider it a contended.

DaDoc likes this.
  16. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

You know the drill:
    Some people need to make every thread about politics. They see “California” and are immediately triggered to start bitchin’ and moaning.
    What a way to go through life!

17. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

The movie The Dilemma with Vince Vaughn is partially about him inventing a software sound system to put in cars that creates that throaty muffler engine sound.

[​IMG]

As far as threads turning political, we are not in selective times to where the threat of a civil war in your home town is so remote. If you live under a dam and someone tells you the dam is leaking, you would be best served to take heed and not turn into this guy

[​IMG]

California is in a mess. Not everyone there is a loon. It's the people in the gov't that are turning things upside down. I used to to live there, my family is still there. They have decent important jobs in the medical field and social rehabilitation. Granted there are some Spicolli no-pants-lance-surfer dudes there but that's their parent's fault for parking them in front of the TV as babysitter. Disbelief suspension causing brainwash frequencies were built-into the Hz rates of the TV screen. They experimented with monkeys for years trying to figure out how to turn the TV into a mind control system.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile...Californication is ongoing.

[​IMG]

:coffee::2c:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    South Park and DaDoc like this.
  18. anitoli

Great now we have "Exhaust modelling" :facepalm:

DaDoc likes this.
  19. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Friend of mine sent a pic of a homeless person buck ass naked shitting on the sidewalk in front of his buisiness. Cops were parked next door at the carniceria and did nothing. All is not well in cali.

South Park and DaDoc like this.
  20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I've got friends both in and from California, known a lot of other folks from there, and you're absolutely spot-on!

IMHO, two of the biggest problems there are the poly-ticks and the Hollyweird crowd. And it seems nowadays those two groups are interchangable.

dragonvalve likes this.
  21. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Yup...:noplease:

From the Ron Howard movie The Dilemma