Tell Me About Jimmy Page Les Paul Wiring... Is It All That?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by 67Mopar, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I do appreciate your advice mopar , about the darkest one I own is my studio, but I tend to like the flavor it brings, the goldtop, and traditional have their flavors as well, they all are just different enough, to each serve a separate taste! Cheers Mitch

67Mopar likes this.
  2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

You mentioned Neil Young's "Old Black", did he get rid of it ? Because I seen an ad for an auction saying that they were auctioning off "Old black" and I thought no way ?

3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Understanding what it actually does and how it would affect your Les Paul's tone. How Jimmy Page perceived it to be. Most like the HEARTBREAKER tone. Although not a Les Paul Custom, sounding best on a Standard. Then, you'd want to do Jimmy Page #1 wiring. That is what he likes.
    After the wiring; then, there is a setup with the Volume and Tone knobs in config with pickup selector to achieve that familiar Led Zeppelin sound.
    You will need a four wire bridge humbucker and a 500k push/pull for the Tone knob in 50s wiring. .022μF are ideal as you already have them in your Les Paul Custom.
    (Works with a PRS, as well. YMMV)

neikeel, Mitchell Pearrow and 67Mopar like this.
  4. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but I believe there are some Studio models without the maple cap. Great sounding guitars!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

You need 4 conductor leads (braided Gibson leads, are simply the hot inner wire and the outer ground shield aka single conductor) to get the coil split function, so the most useful (IMO) mod isn't possible.

This dude's channel has been super helpful to me, from the most basic functions of caps and pots, to probably the most complicated mod, The JP Mod. Here he explains the difference between vintage and modern LP wiring, which is easy to do, and easy to reverse. HAVE FUN!

Mitchell Pearrow and 67Mopar like this.