Telecaster Bug

Spooky88

Reaction score
I went the same route only I got to it a bit earlier in life. A lot of good advice and comments here. I build my teles now. Everyone of them a bit different but I use mainly Warmoth bodies and necks (10-16” compound radius 6150SS frets). I also use an hotrod version of the EMG T set pickups. I think the Fender telecasters (American standard, squier, whatever, are ok) but I needed something a bit hotter as I was an 80’s shredder. You might look around and see what’s in your area for custom builds, here are a few of mine. I tend to build one about every year or so and I do all my own luthier work as far as setup. When it comes to playing, I sit in with Merle haggards drummer (at least the guy that played with him the last 2 decades before he passed on) and what I consider to be the finest bass player on the west coast. If those guys are blown away by my playing, I must be doing something right. Guitar playing (and by extension building your sound ) is a journey. I don’t do it for money or fame, it’s just part of my nature. I hope your journey is as enjoyable as mine has been. Good luck!

Attachments

• 052F0452-6AC2-4021-9ED1-4FDC2ED4307F.jpeg
    052F0452-6AC2-4021-9ED1-4FDC2ED4307F.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 4

strat714

Reaction score
I got a player and put some different pickups in it. A very nice tool.

donwagar

Reaction score
Teles are great guitars. I think everyone should have at least one.

Mine is an '84 MIJ, I found for a good price, had it refretted, put in Texas Specials, new tuners and Callaham saddles. All in for about $1000 Canadian (so about $780 US).

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Tele s come in many different setups.
All are awesome, but you need to find the one that fits best.

I have had expensive Tele s and cheap ones.
Never really a bad one.

One of my favorite is a Squire thinline style.
It is older with Duncan pickups and a set neck. Very rare model. $240 when purchased a few years ago.

Got a Mexican Tele with a Bigsby. Really awesome, but so different from the one mentioned above.

You will find a good one, but may take one or two to get there.
Enjoy!

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
My first was a Squire Affinity I'd happened into, borrowing it. I gave it a proper setup and was real surprised how great it was so I bought one used. Had it for a year then got this, 2016 Classic Player 60's Baja

20201015_184509_sm.jpg

GregM

Reaction score
Tele's is good !
Heavier maybe than what you expect , not like a heavy LP heavy but like a mid LP heavy . At least my mim is .
And sign me up for pole dancing ! Love my purple tortoise pickguard on my black tele !

Reaction score
Really really want to get a Tele.
Since I'm getting older now (39) I'm gravitating towards more melodic music. The shred doesn't really interest me as much now as it just tends to sound a bit dull and everyone seems to be doing it.
I'm after some advice from people who have experience with Teles please.
Fender Player seems to be a good option but the medium jumbo frets isn't exactly Tele heritage.
6 saddle bridge I can deal with as it ensures better intonation.
What's the difference in playability between tall narrow (traditional) frets and medium jumbo ones?
I would like to go and have a try in-store but unfortunately my days off are Sunday and Monday, the closing days of the local guitar shop.
Rich

It also depends on how much you want to spend. Second hand? New? Perhaps even a Squier? I'm also getting old (72) LOL! I purchased my first Tele in 71 and owned many afterwards from US made, Mexican, Korean, Chinese, etc. If you want a good one with a Fender label, you should check USA models with the characteristics you desire. Depending on your budget, a large selection is available. Since I retired, as a mostly Gibson player, I wanted a Tele again, I wasn't interested in spending top dollars. Over many local stores visit, and from past Fenders memories, the Squier Classic Vibe ones offered very much in terms of sound, playability, and cost.

About playing without the pedal to the floor all the time, I now play at home with some loops for backing tracks and a now discontinued Boss DR-3 drum and bass machine. I also realized a long time ago the solos I prefer were very much melodic. In my humble opinion, the best solos of all time perform like a piece of melody on their own. Think for instance of the solo on Stairway to Heaven. You could whistle it. Ibis for Hendrix All Along the Watch Tower, and many more. Play like a singer. Sing the phrases in your mind while you play them, always aiming at a great melody. After a while, it'll become second nature. Then, in a proper spot, a very fast short lick makes an interesting conclusion, as Jimmy Page does at the end of Stairway with the well known lick triplets. One of the best Tele sound melody I heard is from a long time ago. I suggest you listen to The Messiah Will Come Again, by Roy Buchanan. The solo starts at 1:09

Last edited: