Telecaster Bug

Richie612

Reaction score
Really really want to get a Tele.
Since I'm getting older now (39) I'm gravitating towards more melodic music. The shred doesn't really interest me as much now as it just tends to sound a bit dull and everyone seems to be doing it.
I'm after some advice from people who have experience with Teles please.
Fender Player seems to be a good option but the medium jumbo frets isn't exactly Tele heritage.
6 saddle bridge I can deal with as it ensures better intonation.
What's the difference in playability between tall narrow (traditional) frets and medium jumbo ones?
I would like to go and have a try in-store but unfortunately my days off are Sunday and Monday, the closing days of the local guitar shop.
Rich

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fender Player seems to be a good option but the medium jumbo frets isn't exactly Tele heritage.
What's the difference in playability between tall narrow (traditional) frets and medium jumbo ones?
I have the Page Dragon Tele with "Vintage" frets, and an Ultra Strat with medium-jumbo.
I can hardly tell them apart - had to look on the Fender site to find out they are actually different.
I'm probably just not good enough of a player to tell the difference, but string action is way more important to me than the fret shape.

As far as the 6 saddle vs. 3 saddle intonage, there are some nice aftermarket compensated 3 saddle models that are just as adjustable.
I ditched the "authentic" threaded saddles that came with the Page tele for Fender brass compensated - no problem getting good intonage.

Bull Rock

Reaction score
I love teles...I'd go usa model if possible, especially if you're not trying it out.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Since I'm getting older now (39) I'm gravitating towards more melodic music. The shred doesn't really interest me as much now as it just tends to sound a bit dull and everyone seems to be doing it.
I would like to go and have a try in-store but unfortunately my days off are Sunday and Monday, the closing days of the local guitar shop.
Rich
I was never a Tele person but when I traveled a lot someone suggested a Tele as it would fit in an overhead. I bought the cheapest one in case something happened to it during travel or in the hotel room. I got a Squier Affinity and ended up playing that over my better guitars. I changed out just about everything on it and it is really good now. I decided to slurge a little and bought a Fender 75th Anniversary model last year. I like both guitars equally well. The Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups in the Squire sound a little more mellow that the Twisted Tele pickups on my Fender. They are both advertised as having medium jumbo frets but the Squier seems more like vintage frets and it took me awhile to get used to the bigger frets on the Fender especially when sliding notes. They felt like speed bumps.

I thought about the Fender Player as the pickups sounded good and more vintage style. The only thing for me it wasn't that much of an upgrade over my modified Squier. I think they are worth a look. They get good reviews but it kind of seemed hit or miss between guitars on quality. The equivalent MIM Fender P- basses I checked out were that way too. Check out the Squier Classic Vibe ones too as they are rated good. I liked a Squier bass over a MIM one when I was in Guitar Center.

Richie612

Reaction score
I was never a Tele person but when I traveled a lot someone suggested a Tele as it would fit in an overhead. I bought the cheapest one in case something happened to it during travel or in the hotel room. I got a Squier Affinity and ended up playing that over my better guitars. I changed out just about everything on it and it is really good now. I decided to slurge a little and bought a Fender 75th Anniversary model last year. I like both guitars equally well. The Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups in the Squire sound a little more mellow that the Twisted Tele pickups on my Fender. They are both advertised as having medium jumbo frets but the Squier seems more like vintage frets and it took me awhile to get used to the bigger frets on the Fender especially when sliding notes. They felt like speed bumps.

I thought about the Fender Player as the pickups sounded good and more vintage style. The only thing for me it wasn't that much of an upgrade over my modified Squier. I think they are worth a look. They get good reviews but it kind of seemed hit or miss between guitars on quality. The equivalent MIM Fender P- basses I checked out were that way too. Check out the Squier Classic Vibe ones too as they are rated good. I liked a Squier bass over a MIM one when I was in Guitar Center.
I too have an eye on the Squier Classic vibe but they're also hit and miss with poor nuts and poorly finished frets.
I saw a review of one which looked brilliant by Elmo on Youtube and he said the same thing. It needed a lot of work from a Luthier to get it playable which seems pointless as that extra money spent could just be used to buy a better model in the first place.
He even said some come string through and some don't and it's just luck of the draw which isn't good at all.
I thought Fender used Alnico in all Teles from Player and above models.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich

It is time for you to get a Esquire :)

2020-03-21 20-15-28.jpg

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I too have an eye on the Squier Classic vibe but they're also hit and miss with poor nuts and poorly finished frets.
I saw a review of one which looked brilliant by Elmo on Youtube and he said the same thing. It needed a lot of work from a Luthier to get it playable which seems pointless as that extra money spent could just be used to buy a better model in the first place.
He even said some come string through and some don't and it's just luck of the draw which isn't good at all.
I thought Fender used Alnico in all Teles from Player and above models.
The MIM Tele pickups are Alnico V as well as on the Twisted Tele.

I had parts and things around here and I like tinkering. I got the latest Squier (did the sand thing on a previous Squier). The fret end are rough and they need to be treated. I got the guitar for $150 and it was in mint condition. Sometimes beater guitars are fun.

Look for some used Teles. I seem then often on Craigslist.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
I don't think the difference between jumbo and tall narrow frets are that big. I have guitars with both. The bigger difference between the player series and the USA models would be the neck profile. The player having the thinner modern C and the USA models having the Deep C.
I would do as was suggested above: take a day off and play them both and see what you like best. Are opinions should not matter on your decision.
I have 2 strats and a tele, all with the Deep C profile. I only found out that I really like that neck by being in a store and just by chance grabbed a USA Strat off the wall. I wasn't shopping for a strat but I took that one home. It's still one of my favorite guitars. Of the 6 guitars I currently own, my favorites are the two that I purchased at a store.
Like you, I was told that I needed a tele and I was also a shred guitar (Ibanez Prestige) guy for decades. I like my tele and some days maybe even love it but it comes and goes. I don't like the neck pup on the tele at all. I may possibly switch it out for a humbucker or P90.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

Rich
your growing up musically bro. :applause:
not at all a insult. i went throught it too. it didnt even hurt lol.
i hated tele's growing up in my metal yrs. who the hell would want
one of those pieces of shit was my thoughts. well decades later i found
i was growing out of my metal only stage and looking for something
more. (or less at it were) i stumbles across a tele. oh screw it, i'll give it
a test drive. BOUGHT IT. thats what i was missing in my life.
several tele's later its my go to for most things outside my hair metal fix.
my #1 grab and play it a tele. guitars that get a double take in stores, a tele.

however and im gonna catch a rash of shit for this and it goes against everything
i preach, but im a bit of a tele snob. in order for it to be a true blue tele, its gotta
be a Fender. ive played good other brand tele's but mine gotta be Fender.
Leo got it right the first go around.

i second the squier classic vibes. the newer the better. they play stupidly great
and you can swap out and upgrade parts like pups, tuners, saddles as you go.
they really never have that cheap guitar with added high end parts feel to them.

my fav is my FSR MIM. i'll put it against ANY MIA tele out there playing wise.
it just fits so damn good in my hands and sounds just stupid.
if you can find a HW1 your golden bro. and do yourself a favor, DO NOT get a tele
with one of those gawd awful, butt fugging UGLY ass tortoise shell pickguards
on it. omg i cant stand those damn things. whomever came up with those needs to be
shot dead. might as well change up a couple things and sign up to compete in womens sports :cool:.

but once you go tele its very hard to go back after you two have spent QUALITY time together.
they arent for everybody though. if you do get one and love it you will be well ahead of those types. roflmao.

word of caution, once you get a tele you love you will start to look for the perfect amp for your tele.
Fender Deluxe Reverb might come into mind. then you will start to look for that perfect OD pedal
that allows her to let her hair down and shorten up her skirt a bit. your other guitars will become
jealous and plot your demise. your friends will wonder why you dont call them or go out any more.
your wife will wonder why you never touch her like you do that tele and thats just the beginning bro.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2009 MIC squier classic vibe and it’s great. Had it for ten years and only guitar I never sold and I’m a 80s hair metal man at core.
The bridge pickups in these guitars is so darn good. The neck is a bit average to me. I might swap for a p90 one day.
Construction wise it’s really spot on also. No issues with frets or tuner or nut.
Only mod I did was a push pull tone for series wiring. Sanded off a lot of the lacquer too as neck was bit sticky.
This guitar is super versatile and covers a lot of ground

Crikey

Reaction score
Rich
Teles can shred.check out Princes famous solo.
I love my indo squire tele
Check them out great neck and good ipgrade platform

middy

Reaction score
It is time for you to get a Esquire :)

View attachment 105226
This is the way.

ia7ePSx.jpg

axe4me

Reaction score
Make it a point to go to GC and try as many Fender Telecasrers as you can.

When you made up your mind, go to a ligit guitar store and buy one.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Rich
The one major thing about modern frets is that it is easier to play and do bends versus the vintage frets . My advice would be to go for the medium jumbo frets to even bigger frets as well . It will be easier to play and please don't get hung up on "vintage" .

Michael Roe

Reaction score
The one major thing about modern frets is that it is easier to play and do bends versus the vintage frets . My advice would be to go for the medium jumbo frets to even bigger frets as well . It will be easier to play and please don't get hung up on "vintage" .
Don't know if you meant that the "Tall Narrow" frets are "vintage"? I can say confidently that they are basically just a jumbo fret accept they are not as wide which should add to better intonation, I think. In other words, it feels like jumbo to me, IMHO.

Latest posts